Turnaround Times

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

When a long-distance train reaches its final destination, how long does it take for the train to get serviced and turned around?

On a speedy turnaround with few switch moves to be made, 5 to 6 hours. A full service usually takes about 9-12 hours.

Do they still turn the Empire Builder on the same day that it gets into Seattle and Portland? If they do they only have about 6 hours or less to service the train.What if the train is very late is there a backup set they can send out?

railfangns said:
Do they still turn the Empire Builder on the same day that it gets into Seattle and Portland? If they do they only have about 6 hours or less to service the train.What if the train is very late is there a backup set they can send out?
I'm sure they do, Amtrak doesn't have enough equipment to keep and entire train set just sitting around in SEA and PDX.

I'm positive that they do a same day turnaround on the Lake Shore Limited in Chicago, as that's Chicago's only daily single level train with sleepers and a diner.

I also believe that the Texas Eagle and the City of NOL turn to one another each day in Chicago.

So there are many examples of trains that turn in 5 to 6 hours. That of course means that they only get a basic cleaning, nothing heavy duty.

railfangns said:
Yes they still do. The Texas Eagle/CONO make the same day turns as does the Lake Shore and once in a while 29 to 3. But lately 3 has been using 4 Equitment from the day before.

I don't believe it's happening, but I'd be curious to know if 98's rolling to 97 same day, I doubt it with the habitual tardiness of Silver Service. Another example of same day turnovers is Auto Train, with same day turnovers on both ends. Anything that needs wheels or anything major is just swapped out in Sanford.

Hey B-51!

Tried to IM earlier!!

Both inbounds are being turned for the next outbounds!!! ;)

It's not uncommon the last few weeks for the last inbound to get to the tard between 2-4am!

That's why Silver Service OTP has been poor! :huh:

MJ B)

yep, they do a same day turnaround in portland/seattle. when the eb westbound is running really late theyll sometimes end the train in spokane so that it can be refurbished, cleaned, etc for the eastbound run.

What is involved in turning the train around anyways? Is it just clean up. fill the water and drain the sewage system or is there more to it?

Wheels, inspections, FDA stuff, cleaning, and all that. I know in MIA they stock the train while it's on the platform, but in other places like SSY and CHI it's stocked in the yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back