Turkey dinner on dining cars for Thanksgiving?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yumacool

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I have ridden the Coast Starlight each Thanksgiving for over ten years. Dining cars used to offer a holiday special meal during that period which consisted of turkey, dressing, and all the trimmings. Last year it wasn't offered and I am wondering if it has been dropped this year as well. I thought it was a nice touch and I always looked forward to it. By the way, I am traveling from Los Angeles to San Jose on Nov. 20 and will return Nov 27. Thanks, all, and I hope you have a great Thanksgiving holiday!

I remember traveling home to Chicago for Thanksgiving from Boston, NYC, Baltimore, or Washington most years, enjoying a great turkey dinner. I remember almost everyone selected the turkey. It would be sad if Amtrak (and/or Congress) eliminated this meal.

I traveled from DC to New Orleans 2 years ago on Thanksgiving. Traditional meal was served. It was a nice touch but not the home cooked meal most are used to enjoying.

Seems like Amtrak is just eliminating everything from the food service. It won't save them much money if any, but it will cause ridership and revenues to drop.

Write letters to Rep. Mica about these dining car reductions. He's the guy behind all this stuff. He doesn't want the "taxpayers" subsidizing "lavish" dining car meals. He's the guy you should be mad at, not some Amtrak bureaucrats doing what congress has ordered. Also stop electing stupid guys like Mica and his ilk to congress.

Last year, on the CZ, was on board on Thanksgiving and no sign of a traditional meal. I enjoyed the steak.

Amtrak is being penny-wise and pound-foolish. You can't really blame Mica for this. The cost of the food service cars is all in the staff and none at all in the food -- so what do they cut? The food. Idiocy. Cutting the staff can at least be blamed on Mica.

Along the lines of Mica he did say something very correct and sensible the other day-get rid of the grossly inept TSA and bring back pre-9/11 Private Contractor Security.

But wasn't it private contractor security on watch when 4 planes were downed and several thousand people died on 9/11/01?

But wasn't it private contractor security on watch when 4 planes were downed and several thousand people died on 9/11/01?
The events of 9/11 were in no way the fault of the airport security personnel who were on duty that day.

(Wow, did this thread go off-topic in a hurry.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back