tunnel?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

christine

I know if you drive you go thru the tunnel in Baltimore but if I am taking the palmetto 89 train from Philly to Florence will we go thru tunnel under water? sorry if stupid question I just don't remember seeing tracks near tunnel and cant believe would spend money building tunnel just for train so just curious.

There are two train tunnels when you pass through Baltimore on Amtrak but none of them are under water like the I-95 tunnels.

Other than the Hudson River and East River tubes, are there any other underwater tunnels in Amtrak's system?

I think there's some creeks which cross over the Stevens Pass tunnel. Does that count?

LOL! My thoughts exactly! It's hard to tell from the maps, but I find, besides the Tye River, Lanham and Mill Creeks. And there are a few unnamed streams. I can't tell whether one of those, at the west end of the tunnel, is Tunnel Creek or some unnamed tributary thereof, but there are definitely a few streams that pass over the Cascade Tunnel thus making it underwater. :lol:

Ok, that counts...sorta! ;-)

So to broaden the discussion, how many sub-aqueous rail tunnels in the US? Subways in NYC and SF BART quickly come to mind, any heavy rail tunnels?

I just thought of two - between Detroit and Windsor, and Port Huron and Sarnia. Didn't the International Limited use the latter?

Boston Red Line has a short bored tunnel segment under the Fort Point Channel between South Station and Broadway.

And then there is the Blue (between Aquarium and Maverick) and Orange Line (between North Station and Community College) tunnels under the Charles River

The Red Line in Los Angeles goes under the Los Angeles River near Universal City.

However, for much of the year, that's not a sub-aqueous tunnel.

There are probably some streams above the Moffat Tunnel through the Continental Divide in Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

WMATA crosses under the Potomac twice and the Anacostia once.
WMATA only crosses under the Potomac once for the Orange/Blue/Silver (someday) lines between Rosslyn and Foggy Bottom. The Yellow Line crosses the Potomac on a bridge. In a couple of decades, there may be a new tunnel crossing from Rosslyn to Georgetown for the rerouted Blue Line / proposed Loop line.

The First Avenue tunnel south of Union Station may not pass under a body of water, but it does pass under Capitol Hill, so it could be categorized as passing under a lot of hot air and a river of political posturing.

The Red Line in Los Angeles goes under the Los Angeles River near Universal City.

However, for much of the year, that's not a sub-aqueous tunnel.
Aloha

Well it is not quite true about the LA River being dry. There is always a foot or two in the center of the river. :p One year though, there was about 20 feet of water during a storm/rainy season back in the early 60's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back