Tunnel Bus across the border to VIA Rail for the Grey Cup

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a while, I’ve been wanting to use the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus to make a cross-border connection to VIA Rail. Living in Ann Arbor, this first became a realistic possibility when D2A2 bus service from Detroit to Ann Arbor started. That was in 2020, and ultimately everything shut down (including D2A2 and the Tunnel Bus) before I could make the trip. Last year I made a few trips on VIA, but I was dropped off/picked up in Windsor for a couple of them and connected between the Michigan Flyer+Robert Q airport shuttles for the other, as the Tunnel Bus still had not resumed. Earlier this year I opted to try the new Trailways bus service across the border when I went to Toronto to check out a CFL game and Canada’s Wonderland. That was OK, but I still missed the train.

Ultimately, I wanted to do the cross-border bus connection to VIA, and this weekend served as a great opportunity. That’s because this weekend the Grey Cup is in Hamilton - I’ve watched the CFL quite a bit going back a while (in part due to playing in the summer and it’s unique rules), and I’ve always wanted to go to its championship game, the Grey Cup. The past few times it was relatively nearby (as in day train distance) it didn’t work out, but this time it finally did. Funny that is happens the same week that there is some mumbling about Amtrak a crossing the border to meet VIA in Windsor - though that may be another pipe dream based on VIA’s response…

As such, I booked tickets on VIA for the weekend - leaving Windsor on train 76 at 1:46pm today, and returning from Aldershot on train 73 at 12:13pm on Monday. Why Aldershot? That’s because Hamilton doesn’t have a VIA station, and Aldershot is the closest. Kind of like Emeryville for San Francisco - though VIA doesn’t run thruway buses (there are plenty of connecting GO buses/trains, which we’ll get to later - I think they used to through-ticket but don’t anymore). Conveniently, Windsor-Aldershot is about the longest trip you can take on a “short trip” VIA Preference awards ticket for 500 points (going to Toronto more than doubles it). Though they’re scrapping their award chart for revenue-based redemptions in a few days, much like Amtrak did…

However, to get there involved a maze of different bus connections I had to make. I did have a little spare time for misconnects, though not a ton (and a couple of these buses are only hourly, making a misconnect costly). First was the D2A2 bus from Ann Arbor to Detroit, departing at 10:30am and arriving at 11:15. Then was the Tunnel Bus, which left from Rosa Parks Transit Center in Detroit (about a 5min walk from the D2A2 stop) at 11:34am. Then I banked myself some time in Windsor for lunch - if I missed either the D2A2 or the Tunnel Bus, I’d just do the lunch in Detroit and miss the next one. After lunch take the Crosstown 2 to the VIA Rail station in Windsor, and then take VIA at 1:46pm to Aldershot, where I could catch a GO train or bus to Hamilton. I also had to bring cash for the Transit Windsor buses (thankfully US cash worked - though paying with Canadian would have been cheaper, I doubt it would be easy to find small Canadian bills/coins without going to Canada).

I set off this morning from the D2A2 bus stop in downtown Ann Arbor at 10:30am. As I had a doctors appointment before, I wasn’t 100% sure I’d make that bus - if the doctor was delayed I might have to do the later one, and if it went really fast I might be able to do the earlier one. While I may have been able to make the early one by hurrying, I ended up taking the 10:30 I planned for. Getting there earlier would have likely just meant a longer wait in Detroit anyway.

Before boarding there were a lot of people lining up with suitcases that weren’t getting on the bus that confused me (as it seemed like it was time to board), though I figured out they were waiting on the Michigan Flyer to DTW that stops next to that (and which I combined with Robert Q for my connection to the Canadian). The ride was quick, uneventful, and fairly on time - glad this connection exists, and hope it doesn’t go away (it’s using pilot funding, and there hasn’t been any movement on Southeast Michigan regional transit funding since the 2016 failure).

I then walked to the Rosa Parks Transit Center, where the nearest stop for the Tunnel Bus was located. I went to where the map showed it but didn’t see a sign. I walked up to a stop used by other routes in the area and waited there, only to see it pull up a little ways down the street. I ran for the bus, not realizing that I had time (it wasn’t leaving until the 11:34am timepoint). Paid with a U.S. $10 bill (as the fare is $10, US or Canadian, exact change only). The driver left at 11:34am (with just me on the bus) on the dot, completing the loop through Detroit before reaching the tunnel entrance, where a few other people boarded. We made our way through the tunnel and eventually surfaced in Canada, where we made our stop at CBSA for customs.

After clearing customs, I got back on the bus and took it one more stop, as that seemed closest to where I was planning to go for lunch. Though that did not go as planned - the pizza place didn’t have any indoor seating, most of the other places I looked up were closed, and the McDonalds that was my backup plan had a sign outside that said among other things “no suitcases”. And I also had a car almost hit me despite entering the crosswalk when they were not moving and I had the walk sign. So I wandered back through downtown Windsor a bit, eventually settling for Subway (I was starting to run short on time anyway).

Once lunch was finished, I just wanted to get out of Windsor with the mishaps. Walked back towards Wyandotte Street (where I first started my search) to catch the Transit Windsor Crosstown 2 route to the VIA station. It showed up on time (and took my American quarters), and I saw other people with suitcases. They all got off at the same stop, and also we’re headed to the VIA station, walking by a Tim Hortons on the way there (was tempted to stop, but still had leftover Subway and the train departure was approaching). We made it there with 25 or so minutes to spare for the train departure.

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpeg
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2073.jpeg
    IMG_2073.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2074.jpeg
    IMG_2074.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2075.jpeg
    IMG_2075.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2076.jpeg
    IMG_2076.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2077.jpeg
    IMG_2077.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
At the Windsor VIA station, I saw a lot of people waiting for the train. I wasn’t quite sure what I needed to do, as it has been a little while since I was last here. Someone quickly told me I had to get my bag weighed, which they did and put a sticker on it. They also told me the baggage policies were changing this week, and I might have to pay for my baggage in the future. I knew about this, though I figured the small bag I brought on this trip should be OK, as it fits as a carry-on on airlines. I figure my large bag I bring on longer trips would be an issue, though. Seems like they’re trying to mimic the airlines - since they mostly don’t do checked baggage, they restrict to one free size-restricted bag instead..

I then went to the ticket counter to change my return ticket to a front-facing seat - at first they acted as if it was not possible due to this train being sold out, but then I clarified I wanted to change Monday’s ticket. They did it, and printed my ticket, which unlike on Amtrak is still a real physical ticket - they said it invalidated my E-tickets. Though they said if I lost it I could board with an ID. Once they update to the new reservation system (which is happening this weekend, along with the baggage and points redemption changes - and the mobile app being discontinued for the time being) you will be able to select your seat online. At least that’s one good thing from the change - would like to see it for rooms as well, but not holding my breath.

We soon started boarding - I was a bit confused by the announcement because all I could make out was “business”, but in fact all classes were boarding. They made a couple more pronouncements about a sold-out train, which Amtrak likes to do as well (and I am sometimes doubtful for - I‘ve often seen seats available online on trains they say are “sold out”). Got on, and they left on time - as this is the start point of the train, that’s fairly easy to do.

From here, the train trip was much like the rest of my VIA corridor trips (or trips on the Amtrak Wolverine, for that matter) - fairly uneventful. I got a seatmate at the next stop of Chatham, though the train really started to fill up more at London. I see what they mean about Windsor-London being the underperforming leg of the Corridor - think they could up the ridership by extending it the few miles into Detroit (and having connections to the Amtrak Wolverine). It got dark shortly before arrival in Aldershot, at which point we had lost about 9 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_2079.jpeg
    IMG_2079.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2078.jpeg
    IMG_2078.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The 9 minutes we ended up losing en route to Aldershot ended up being critical - because of that, I missed the connection to the GO train to Hamilton GO Centre. And I really *just* missed - saw it across the platform as I got up, but the doors closed just as I approached. Defeated, I made my way to the bus platform, as I knew there was a GO bus to Hamilton before the next GO train. Went out there to see a double-decker GO bus at the bay for Hamilton service. i had always wanted to ride one of those after seeing them on my previous trips, and as it turns out it was my lucky day - that bus ended up being our bus. In the end missing that train wasn’t so bad.

Got on the bus - left my Presto card at home, but was able to tap on using contactless credit card payment (take note, Transit Windsor - and TheRide back in Ann Arbor as well). Went to the upstairs, and found they had a front window, a sort of railfan window for buses. Stayed up there for the short trip to Hamilton Go Centre (though this bus continued to Brock University). Remembered to tap off (which was a bit weird for a bus, but not for GO), and soon found my way up a staircase that led out the back entrance towards my hotel, a place called “The Laundry Rooms”.

The Laundry Rooms is a bit different from your standard hotel - it functions more like an Airbnb in some ways, with you being sent an access code and making requests online. Though it is a single building (or more accurately, part of a building) like a hotel. It site above a restaurant/bar, which is my second time staying in such a place (the first was the Rex Hotel in Toronto). Though this was way nicer than the Rex (which was just old simple rooms above the bar - though it worked for a single night before the Canadian). It’s basically the size of a 1 bedroom apartment, with full kitchen, and (what else) laundry in the unit. Seems like a quite new place. They also had fiber Internet and a smart TV - unfortunately no live TV, though I fixed that by plugging in my personal streaming device and connecting to my home DVR server.

After settling in, I checked out a nearby pizza place and stopped at a convenience store. Might want to go to a bigger grocery store tomorrow, though I’m only here for a couple days. Unfortunately, there aren’t any within walking distance as there were in Toronto - might have to take the Hamilton Street Railway tomorrow, which unfortunately is a bit of a misnomer - the rails were ripped out quite a while ago, replaced by buses. Though it is fortunate that it is running - they went on strike last week and just settled it yesterday, almost certainly because of the prospect of traffic chaos at the Grey Cup with no shuttles. They did leave a guide to the Grey Cup festivities in my room - figure I’ll go to some of that stuff tomorrow (though I want to watch the Michigan game). Heading to bed shortly - it has been a long day (had to get up early to pack and didn’t sleep great).

Attachments

• IMG_2085.jpeg
    IMG_2085.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2084.jpeg
    IMG_2084.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Had fun at the Grey Cup Festival and the Grey Cup itself, which was a close game (Montreal took the lead with 13 seconds left and eventually won. Glad I ended up getting club-level seats - can watch the game indoors from a lounge (though the seating was occupied quite early) instead of having to be outside the whole game. Did end up riding the Hamilton Street Railway (which as previously mentioned is a misnomer - they presently only operate buses) to and from the game. They are working on a light rail in Hamilton, which could make Hamilton Street Railway no longer a misnomer if they operated it - there was a booth for the project at the Grey Cup Festival. For a secondary city located about as far from Toronto as Ann Arbor is Detroit Hamilton seemed to have pretty good transit between the HSR (kind of a funny acronym) and GO buses/trains.

Today after visiting the site of the first Tim Hortons (they have a mini-museum on the second floor), I’m doing the same trip I did Friday in reverse. After grabbing a quick lunch for the trip nearby, I took a GO bus from Hamilton GO Centre (which was conveniently a short walk from where I stayed - both the HSR and GO buses I used stopped there). This was the same double-decker bus, but the front was completely open. Then I transferred to VIA Rail there. When I got to my seat, it was filled with my seatmate’s baggage - wondering if that was because they were going to charge to put it elsewhere when boarding. They did ask me to put my bag in the overhead rather than using the baggage storage area - think that is being reserved for the “oversized” baggage that will be an additional fee in the future. Though eventually my seat was cleared and we were on our way. We’re riding what is apparently HEP2 equipment (according to the safety card) on VIA train 73, which is different (and seems older) than what I’ve had on past VIA Corridor trains (red cloth seats instead of grey leather-ish seats). Wonder when Windsor-Toronto will get the Ventures - would be interesting to see those… Just left London a little while ago - thinking I may use Ubers/cabs for part of the Windsor-Ann Arbor journey to avoid long transfer waits (which parts depends on our timing).

Attachments

• IMG_2160.jpeg
    IMG_2160.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2159.jpeg
    IMG_2159.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2155.jpeg
    IMG_2155.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
After Chatham (the stop before Windsor) our ETA dropped considerably, from the published 3:45 arrival to 3:36. This proved to be true, as we sped up to 150 km/h (93 mph) for much of the remaining trip, before slowing as we approached Windsor. With a 3:45 arrival I was thinking I could Uber to make the 4pm tunnel bus - with 3:36 I might be able to barely make the Crosstown 2 and still make the Tunnel Bus with 10 minutes to spare.

Given that, I’d figure I’d try - if I just missed it I could Uber. Walked down there, and after accidentally going to the wrong side of the street made it there with one other person from the train. When I went to pay the driver said he didn’t think it took US bills, but it actually did (as the person on the phone said - I called ahead, not having small Canadian change). On the route, I realized that Google Maps was having me get off at a stop and walk up a “no pedestrians” ramp to the tunnel.

Quickly, I looked up the tunnel bus stop before that, and thankfully it was just a short distance away. Got off and walked there, and made it with 10min to spare, just as I saw the Tunnel Bus coming from the US side about to do its loop. Meanwhile, I realized that if the Tunnel Bus made it on time, we might have a chance to sprint from Rosa Parks Transit Center to the 4:30 D2A2. That would be insane luck (and probably a split-second transfer), but figured I’d try if at all close.

Waited 10min, and the Tunnel Bus showed up as expected around 4:05. I boarded along with one other person, and we went through the tunnel ramp and through the tunnel. In there I saw the Trailways bus I took a few months ago going the other direction, and we soon made it to customs. For me that took like 10 seconds - had to wait a couple minutes for the other passenger (which was Canadian).

Got back on the bus, and watched the time as we went towards Rosa Parks Transit Center. Pulled in there around 4:25 - maybe too late for the D2A2, but worth a try. So I started sprinting. Google Maps kept trying to suggest a transfer to DDOT/SMART/People Mover when pulling up directions earlier, so I just retraced my steps from last time. Eventually the D2A2 bus came into view and I made it with literally 10 seconds to spare! Made it to Ann Arbor before 5:30 - can’t believe I made all those transfers!

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpeg
    IMG_2165.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2164.jpeg
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
After Chatham (the stop before Windsor) our ETA dropped considerably, from the published 3:45 arrival to 3:36. This proved to be true, as we sped up to 150 km/h (93 mph) for much of the remaining trip, before slowing as we approached Windsor. With a 3:45 arrival I was thinking I could Uber to make the 4pm tunnel bus - with 3:36 I might be able to barely make the Crosstown 2 and still make the Tunnel Bus with 10 minutes to spare.

Given that, I’d figure I’d try - if I just missed it I could Uber. Walked down there, and after accidentally going to the wrong side of the street made it there with one other person from the train. When I went to pay the driver said he didn’t think it took US bills, but it actually did (as the person on the phone said - I called ahead, not having small Canadian change). On the route, I realized that Google Maps was having me get off at a stop and walk up a “no pedestrians” ramp to the tunnel.

Quickly, I looked up the tunnel bus stop before that, and thankfully it was just a short distance away. Got off and walked there, and made it with 10min to spare, just as I saw the Tunnel Bus coming from the US side about to do its loop. Meanwhile, I realized that if the Tunnel Bus made it on time, we might have a chance to sprint from Rosa Parks Transit Center to the 4:30 D2A2. That would be insane luck (and probably a split-second transfer), but figured I’d try if at all close.

Waited 10min, and the Tunnel Bus showed up as expected around 4:05. I boarded along with one other person, and we went through the tunnel ramp and through the tunnel. In there I saw the Trailways bus I took a few months ago going the other direction, and we soon made it to customs. For me that took like 10 seconds - had to wait a couple minutes for the other passenger (which was Canadian).

Got back on the bus, and watched the time as we went towards Rosa Parks Transit Center. Pulled in there around 4:25 - maybe too late for the D2A2, but worth a try. So I started sprinting. Google Maps kept trying to suggest a transfer to DDOT/SMART/People Mover when pulling up directions earlier, so I just retraced my steps from last time. Eventually the D2A2 bus came into view and I made it with literally 10 seconds to spare! Made it to Ann Arbor before 5:30 - can’t believe I made all those transfers!
Nice report, thanks for taking us along!:)

I am surprised that the double decker bus only had a front door...

A great trip report, thank you for such a detailed account.

Isn't it a major shame that different train and bus companies seem not to confer, seem to delight even, in ensuring their timetables often do not match up, to allow smooth and convenient transfers...

If I was a local politician, I would insist that firms ran timetables to allow "joined up transit" Grrr! :mad:

Back