TSA Alert

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolina Special

Lead Service Attendant
Evidently TSA has issued an alert to railroad operators following an article in the Al Qaeda propaganda magazine "Inspire" encouraging DIY "Train Derail Operations". There are not supposed to be any immediate specific credible threats at this time.

But Amtrak is prominently identified as a target in the article, particularly Acela and other LD routes mentioned by name. The freights are also considered targets, particularly for hazardous material shipments. There is apparently a 19 page "instruction manual".

This "publication" did call for "vehicle ramming attacks" a few years ago, which sadly has been happening with greater frequency lately. Hopefully, this will not be a forerunner of the same for the rails. But better to be prepared for anything.

Sick, but that's the world we live in.

I'd think Amtrak would want to beef up security on the NEC

Sent from my SM-G930P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
That would mean that Amtrak would need to secure 100's of miles of tracks, tunnels and bridges; a daunting task. Derailments do not occur from aboard but from outside the train. IMO, the only way to secure tracks is to enlist the aid of citizen observers in every town that Amtrak crosses. I believe that many patriotic Americans would step up and help in this regard.

I'd think Amtrak would want to beef up security on the NEC

That would mean that Amtrak would need to secure 100's of miles of tracks, tunnels and bridges; a daunting task. Derailments do not occur from aboard but from outside the train. IMO, the only way to secure tracks is to enlist the aid of citizen observers in every town that Amtrak crosses. I believe that many patriotic Americans would step up and help in this regard.
"Safety is Amtrak's number one priority" is what they're always saying, so I think a combination of both would be best

Back