Trip to Southern California Reno-Los Angeles-Reno (December 9th-22nd,

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer
I was asked by Ricky to post a trip report, so here we go. In abstract, poor timing of the itinerary plagued the trip from the start and taught me a lot of lessons. I did not have enough time to do what I wanted to do and the transit connections were too tight. Red Line delivered speed and was cheap but was, for the most part, a typical boring subway ride plagued by suspicious characters at night. Los Angeles buses were just typical big city transit buses, slow, interesting to ride, cheap, goes all over the place, and long routes. Greyhound delivered vastly polarized results; I got 2 great rides, 1 OK ride, and 1 horrible $hit ride.

Ah, the whole trip kind of went awry before I even got to Southern California. For some reason, I slept very poorly in The Mosser Hotel at San Francisco during my overnight layover. I barely got an hour of sleep. I don't know why; the room was small but I felt it was comfortable, I just couldn't fall asleep. I guess it's because I sat in the room all afternoon because of the rain and didn't do anything. When I get too bored, I can't fall asleep.

So, when I was riding 101, I was brain-fried and even more so by the time I got to North Hollywood. I tried to sleep on that DL3, with some success, sleeping in segment and I know I missed Paso Robles by sleeping through it, but my brain told me it was daytime, not time to sleep. I did buy a TAP card that evening which I still have. The next day was a lot better, but I missed the 224 I was planning to take and had to take the later 757 to Santa Clarita. Not a big problem, I made it to the Centennial tour fine, but then I bit the bullet and went to the Science Center around dusk before going to the Griffith Observatory. Again, I was heavily fatigued by the time I got there and failed to eat at Roscoe's (ran out of time). I hightailed it to North Hollywood and ate at Chipotle's before catching one of the last northbound 224s.

On the last day after that, I was fatigued again after sleeping too late the night before even though Best Western Burbank Airport Inn is very comfortable. I hadn't made up all the fatigue from San Francisco yet, either. So I left kind of late and went to Greyhound to store my duffle bag in a locker ($4). Took some pictures at Greyhound and found that the museum fleet was staying in the Los Angeles garage, then got on the 760 and transferred to the 2, trying to get to Getty Center.

The 2 was a great ride with a new New Flyer XD40, but things went awry again when I got off too early and had to walk for 15 minutes to get to a 734 stop. Then I waited some more for the 734, time flowing away, already mid afternoon, got to Getty Center, not much time left before closing, looked at some old Medieval books, took some pics, then the place closed and the sun had set. I found myself basically hopeless because my Greyhound to Sacramento wasn't going to go until 6 hours later and it was already dark outside. I was too far from Long Beach to get to the Queen Mary, so I took a joyride on the 2 all the way to Pacific Palisades (another XD40), then ate at the Taco Bell there, then got another 2 (this time a NABI 40-LFW) to Vermont/Sunset, caught the Red Line to 7th Street/Metro Center, 60 to Greyhound.

Still had some time when I got to Greyhound, but lagged around and failed to queue my bag early (I swear I was fatigued and confused), so I ended up getting into the back of the line. I was dismayed to find that I would likely be sitting at the very back of the lousy motorcoach, D4505 #86522. Said a prayer (like I do every night) and for some reason, the D4505 was full (holiday season) and I was the first person in line for the second section! Voila, second section was surely not a D4505, it was an old white DL3 (#60316)! So I get on the DL3 first and get my favorite seat (riding shotgun). By that time, the D4505 had pulled away ahead of schedule and I was just waiting for the driver to leave. Slept well that night between all the fatigue I had amassed and the comfortable old DL3.

Too bad the next morning, after one of the best nights I've had on motorcoaches, I had to wait a long time in Sacramento for the connection to Reno, and I didn't like it. It was delayed bad (1-hour-delay) and when it pulled up, lo and behold, a D4505. This time #86352. I've taken D4505s many, many times out of Reno so I expected it to be uncomfortable seating-wise but otherwise a good machine. Too bad I was proven wrong. The driver got sick and booked off, then another driver came on to drive it. He didn't really know what he was doing, braking hard and bumping around, tilting at every little turn.

I got a window seat but the ride was rough and I almost got sick. I kept bumping my head into the window or the seat in front. Tried to fasten the seat belt, but I found the latch gone, only the belt remained, so I switched to the aisle seat. I was watching the driver and he seemed to be OK, but he just kept tilting! Also, I got to call out, these D4505 mirrors are seriously misplaced; I always notice the driver stretching his neck to view the right mirror. Never seen that happen on the old DL3s which also use less fuel, have smoother rides, and have less engine fires.

Read a driver saying that the D4505 has stiff steering and always gives him shoulder pain, so that might explain why #86352 was tilting so much. I really don't like D4505s anymore at all. Greyhound needs to order different models and different seating next time. For now, I'll just evade D4505s by not riding Greyhound as much as I have before and by especially evading D4505 routes. As you can see, I'm reexamining my loyalties to Greyhound and based it heavily on specific bus models.

Anyway, I was totally spent by the time I got to Reno and I was just out of enthusiasm. I've promised to myself that my next trip will be better and that I will revisit Los Angeles and really enjoy it next time. Always wanted to do that Western Canada trip that I've never gotten around to and this time, I'm determined to make the best itinerary I've ever made, hopefully (by God) evading D4505s and any of Greyhound's new torture machines while getting to try out Greyhound Canada's VIPs, seeing some great mountain scenery in the Canadian Rockies, and, of course, VIA Rail's awesome old stainless-steel Budd antiques.

The Greyhounds I rode were:
2013 MCI D4505 #86536 Reno-San Francisco Schedule 8309 (the OK ride)
September 1999 MCI 102DL3 #60556 (ex-Americanos, nee-Greyhound #6523) San Francisco-Los Angeles Schedule 6825 (a great ride)
June 1998 MCI 102DL3 #60316 (ex-Americanos) Los Angeles-Sacramento Schedule 1446-2 (a great ride; second section of 1446-1 Los Angeles-Portland)
2010 MCI D4505 #86351 San Francisco-Reno Schedule 8302 (the horrible $hit ride with some broken seat belts)

I really wish I could say something better about the new D4505s, but I can't. Old white DL3s are still better than D4505s by a landslide. Of course the not-old-nor-new white G4500s suck too, but the blue G4500s are great. Smoother ride, faster, much more comfortable seats, more legroom, more headroom, better fuel economy, less engine fires, more sensitive steering for the driver. The only real advantages for the D4505 are emissions and seat belts, which are offset by everything else, especially when #86352 had some broken seat belt latches.

In those pictures, all the big motorcoaches with the big round "foreheads" above the windshield are D4505s. Click on the pictures to see the full pictures, the right will have a little bit cut off. #7025 is a Blue G4500 which is comfortable with lots of legroom and storage space.

IMG_4939.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5403.JPG

IMG_5193.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5206.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

IMG_5214.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

IMG_5219.JPG

IMG_5316.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG

IMG_5323.JPG

IMG_5328.JPG

IMG_5332.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_5280.JPG

IMG_5270.JPG

IMG_5253.JPG

IMG_4889.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

Too bad you didn't have a better trip overall. Some of those are nice shots, especially in front of the Six Flags roller coaster, the sunshine and beautiful blue skies, and that spectacular reflection off the top of Greyhound #86566.

Great to see the old style Greyhounds!

Sorry that you did not enjoy some of your trip. I find that with longer periods "on the road", it can be good to be flexible, and scrap whole forward plans and just do what feels right on the day. Not always easy when we are encouraged to "book well ahead for lowest prices", but I like to enjoy each day, rather than stick to a plan that is causing difficulties.

Cheers,

Ed :cool:

It's hard to describe to someone who's never been there before... but L.A. county is big. Really, really big.

I was trying to explain that going to Santa Clarita, the Science Center and the Griffith Observatory was wishful thinking, especially on transit. You really need to be strategic and either visit several places located near each other or located along a straight line.

That's a bummer about your first night of sleep in San Francisco. It always sucks to start a trip off fatigued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Greyhound let you take pictures of their operations?

See here: https://www.greyhound.com/en/ticketsandtravel/travelingbybus.aspx

"On Board Restrictions

For everyone's safety and comfort, Greyhound asks that customers please follow certain restrictions while on board. Federal law does not permit smoking on Greyhound buses. We have a zero tolerance for alcohol, drugs, weapons and unruly behavior.

Photography, video or audio recording of Greyhound personnel, equipment or procedures is strictly prohibited. For your safety and the safety of those around you, passengers should remain seated while the bus is in motion. Audio, video and camera equipment should be stored with other carry-ons when not in use."

Great photos, I was too there for their centennial at SFMM (Six Flags Magic Mountain) on Sunday. That day was so windy, I was afraid a lot of the rides would be closed. Later on, the winds did die down, and I was able to get on several coasters.

You're a better man than me Gunga Din! Nice pics, as others said to bad about the fatigue!

I've ridden the Ambus from SF to SBA on 101 to catch the Surfliner for SAN, nice ride, but that's about as far as I'd want to ride the bus in Califrnia. I don't care for the Train/Bus combo ride through the Central Valley to LA either!

Make mine Trains whenever possible!

It's hard to describe to someone who's never been there before... but L.A. county is big. Really, really big.

I was trying to explain that going to Santa Clarita, the Science Center and the Griffith Observatory was wishful thinking, especially on transit. You really need to be strategic and either visit several places located near each other or located along a straight line.

That's a bummer about your first night of sleep in San Francisco. It always sucks to start a trip off fatigued.
It would have been a lot better if I hadn't gotten only 1 hour of sleep in San Francisco. Everything went downhill from there and there really wasn't much I could have done to rectify it. Admittedly, I should have extended the trip by a night, but I guess I'll have to save it for the Western Canada trip.

BTW, I have been to LA before, just took a tour.

You're a better man than me Gunga Din! Nice pics, as others said to bad about the fatigue!

I've ridden the Ambus from SF to SBA on 101 to catch the Surfliner for SAN, nice ride, but that's about as far as I'd want to ride the bus in Califrnia. I don't care for the Train/Bus combo ride through the Central Valley to LA either!

Make mine Trains whenever possible!
I can see what you mean, especially if the bus is more like the "horrible $hit ride" than the "great ride". Have to say that the best ride this time was the longest ride along Highway 101 to get to Los Angeles, while the worst ride was the shortest ride at the end to come home to Reno. I'm sure that if you were with me on those buses, you would have agreed! So I continue to insist that the bus, seats, and driver matter more than the distance, but I also have to admit that my current opinion of Greyhound is love/hate. Love one half, hate the other half. A Greyhound Superfan combined with a Greyhound Superhater but not anything in between! :D

Amtrak's long bus ride to Santa Barbara is a Van Hool? I saw some Setras at Amtrak SBA while we stopped there. Setras are tour buses, not really tough though. Don't ride Greyhound in California unless you are riding the Transcontinental or the Vancouver through runs, which rarely get D4505s. Of course you can take a short segment of a through run. They all have the 1000-series schedule numbers.

Oh yeah, regarding photography, not a big problem unless you get seen by security. Greyhound's contracted security are sometimes jerks. Again, love/hate Greyhound.

Los Angeles does have a great refurbished Greyhound terminal. Even the restrooms are clean for once! San Francisco and Sacramento are OK, Reno is nice and laid-back but no security.

Argh, D4505 ist der schlechteste Greyhound Reisebus! Argh, ow, ugh, argh, oyyy!

Back