Trip to New York City

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertRat

Lead Service Attendant
I had posted a topic evidently too long ago about traveling by train for business reasons. Can't find that topic anymore, but since this is kind of unrelated, I decided to start a new one.

I will be retiring shortly, and will be starting on my "second career". I will use Amtrak instead of planes for a couple of business trips. One will, hopefully, be in January of next year for a major conference.

I suppose I'd be better off using the CZ for that time of year but I'd rather prefer CS to Seattle/Tacoma, WA then the EB to CHI, then one of a couple of trains to NYC (haven't decided which yet). I have connections in the area that I may be able to stay with during my NYC conference.

Anyone ever take a trip like that? Would the scenery be worth the trip on the EB at that time of year?

Anyone ever take a trip like that? Would the scenery be worth the trip on the EB at that time of year?
All that I can say is each time I have taken a trip on the EB in the winter I have loved it. Loved dashing through winter wonderland. Also couple of times I have gotten stuck for many hours due to weather and too much snow up in Marias Pass. But that sort of comes with the territory.

My impression is that the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight suffer more than most trains from weather issues, mud slides, etc, in the winter months. This may not be the case in fact, but you might want to check the winter performances if you have an important meeting to attend... or leave a few days early and enjoy the train as a relaxing ride, come what may!

Ed :cool:

when you got stuck was bustitution offered?
Both times it was due to heavy snow and it is not like you can find enough buses on that line even in perfect weather.

The most memorable one was when we were stuck at Cut Bank in heavy snow, pending plowing of the tracks through Marias Pass. There was not exactly anything running on the road in Cut Bank either, and there was nowhere to go even if the buses could be found. Those of us that were equipped with appropriate footware to trudge through sno went over to a bar near the station for the duration. We sat there for 6 hours, and then as the tracks up in the pass were cleared, we proceeded on our way. We passed through snow drifts that were higher than the Superliners, sort of through a temporary cutting that had been cut out by the plows. The snow sheds through the pass had all become full fledged tunnels with snow drifts covering the open sides completely. As far as I could tell EB was the only passenger transportation running that way that night. Rt 2 (or whatever it is through the pass) had not been plowed yet when we passed. So any bustitution would simply have meant sitting stuck in a snowdrift somewhere. No thanks.

Thanks for your story. I've been grounded by blizzards a couple of times in my life so I can imagine. I really want to go up to SEA but that may have to be a separate trip.

What can one expect on the CZ? Would the weather be more amenable?

Thanks for your story. I've been grounded by blizzards a couple of times in my life so I can imagine. I really want to go up to SEA but that may have to be a separate trip.

NO! The weather on the CZ route is horrible in winter! Delays occur EVERY day and are often more severe than on the EB. There's too much snow in Donner Pass and around Moffat Tunnel.

NO! The weather on the CZ route is horrible in winter! Delays occur EVERY day and are often more severe than on the EB. There's too much snow in Donner Pass and around Moffat Tunnel.
That's at least somewhat exaggerated. Delays may be quite likely in the winter on the CZ, but they do not occur every single day. And, it varies year to year as to which route, CZ or EB, suffers from more delays and disruptions in the winter.

Just this last winter, Dec 31-Jan 2, I rode CZ EMY-CHI and was generally on-time the entire way.

That's at least somewhat exaggerated. Delays may be quite likely in the winter on the CZ, but they do not occur every single day. And, it varies year to year as to which route, CZ or EB, suffers from more delays and disruptions in the winter.

Just this last winter, Dec 31-Jan 2, I rode CZ EMY-CHI and was generally on-time the entire way.
Yeah, that may be so, but the last mounth I've been monitering train status and it has been late every single day. The winter arrived too late in the West for Chiristmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back