Trip Report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dovecote

OBS Chief
Arrived in HFY on the afternoon of August 18 from MSP (departed 8/17) via the EB and CL. On both occasions roomette sleeping accommodations were utilized. While waiting for the EB train to arrive in the first class lounge, I had the opportunity to talk to members of National Railway Historical Society (NRHS). They were heading home from their annual convention that concluded the day before in Duluth. They were very interesting and quite knowledgeable on Amtrak trains and their routes. The EB train was about a 1 1/2 hours late rolling into the St. Paul station. I immediately noticed, as well as the NRHS members that the train consist was unusual. It consisted of two lounge cars. One was located between the dining car and the first SEA coach car. The second lounge car was housed between the second SEA coach car and the first PDX coach car. Our car attendant indicated that the additional lounge car was serving as a backup to the dining car. The dining car had experienced mechanical problems recently and the reliability of it operating for the entire trip was in question. Luckily the dining car was fully operational for the entire trip. Both lounge cars were filled to capacity and enjoyed by the passengers.

Arrived in CUS around 6:15 with little time to spare to connect to the CL. Spent about five minutes in the Metropolitan lounge before boarding began. The sleeper was located in the transdorm car. Like in past experiences, the car attendant was conspicuous by his absence. I guess this is the downside of being situated in the transdorm car. With that said, the attendant when tracked down, provided the usual services expected. I missed out on having lunch on my arrival day due to a slick way the dining car advertises meal services on the second day of the trip. Announcements for “Brunch” service were repeated frequently during the morning. This service ran from 6:30 to 11:30. Although lunch service was indeed offered it was never announced. When departing the train, I questioned the car attendant why there were no “lunch” announcements. He explained that lunch announcements are not made due to the short window of service between 11:00-11:30. The staff cannot handle an influx of passengers for the short little time involved. Lunch for sleeping car passengers is certainly provided but one must know about it. Don’t wait for an announcement like I did. Show up for breakfast and go back later for lunch.

This is about my tenth trip on this said itinerary. It never gets old and look forward to the next trip. Off to NYP tomorrow to visit my family.

Until next time,

Dovecote

Thanks I enjoyed the report. When I rode the CL eastbound last month they did make a lunch call although not a lot of people went for it. I had breakfast at 7 and went back to the diner at 11 for lunch. The crew thought it was funny we wanted another meal as most people only opted to have one or the other. They don't serve any dessert with lunch though. I tried to get ice cream and was unsuccessful since it was "short" meal service. It was okay though my dinning car staff were great.

Enjoyed the report,the diner on the EB was in bad shape on our trip in July,had to be shut down(no A/C) but we didnt have a backup,even some of the crew became ill in the heat,one of our waiters had to leave the train and SCAs were helping out in the diner!there must be a real shortage of diners, wonder where they got the ssl from?

Have you tried the Cardinal or the LSL to get east from CHI,they seem to be more fun trips according to most posters here?Ive not been on the Cardinal but enjoyed the LSL more than the CL on my many trips to/from CHI!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back