Trip report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go. I was attending the National Association of Broadcasters show in Las Vegas this year, and took The Lakeshore Limited and SW chief to LA and drove to Vegas. Here is part one of the report.

We get this year's adventure off to a rousing start waiting for train #49, the Lakeshore Limited at Syracuse. According to the last web check, it is running on time, lately, the rule rather than the exception. 49 arrived into the station at 9:04 with P42 90,175, and 703 on the point.(more on 703 later) I am in the 4910 car room 2, which tonight is the Bay View. The 4911 car is the Mystic View. Trailing are diner # 8510 and coaches. I see the luggage wagon heading out to the platform, and head out. Being a new station, the platforms are at car height, so no steps up. Highball at 9:10pm.

Passed Syracuse hotbox detector at 9:16p 88 axels, speed 50 mph no defects. Past several more detectors and stops before i had Herman put down the bed just before 11. Managed to get a few winks in through the night, and awoke as we pulled into Toledo. Went to breakfast, had the french toast. The diner was on cycle 4, haven't seen this one before. Not sure about it.

As it turns out, #703 is dead. While laying in bed, heard over the scanner the stationmaster say to the engineer, " 3 tonight", and the reply was no, last one is dead. Just a heavy car tonight. Must be going to Chicago for maintenance. We do the usual back into the station after dropping 7 express and 3 roadrailers. Arrival at the station was at 9:35a. Checked into metropolitan lounge and left bag in 341.

Had a great sub for lunch at Nino Panino’s, and met a former co-worker who now works in Chicago. We talked for a while, and I returned to the metropolitan lounge at about 2:00pm

#3 delayed in boarding, finally boarded at 3:47pm, Rene is 330 (crew 6) attendant. Did the verbal over the pa, sounds like a pro. Power for trip is #187, 178, 97. Baggage 1222, transition 39014. Sleepers are 32115 Washington as the 331 car, and 332023 as the 330 car. This is a rebuilt superliner 1 as evidenced by the rebuild plate from Beach Grove dated 1995. Diner is 38018, lounge is 33010 and coaches 31503, 34088 and 34105. Also in tow are 13 express and 3 roadrailers . I have room E in 330. Oddly enough, #4 the eastbound chief is arriving as we are loading. Glass house gives conductor all departments clear at 4:00, hiball at 4:09p and we are off.

We make the usual stops, and generally seem to be running about

An hour down at each. Had dinner reservations for 6, the chief is on menu #5. Amtrak had better put 4&5 on the website. I had the NY strip. Very good. went back to the room, and checked to see what was around on the tv dial. Watched King of Queens out of Quad Cities as we were crossing the mighty Mississippi on the big swing bridge.

I also brought my pocket PC,and Gps combo to see how well it would work, and it performed wonderfully. It tracked our position without missing a beat.

Up about 5:45a we are at Dodge City, and on-time as well. Fancy that. We continue to be on-time thru Garden City, Lamar. LaJunta, Trinidad, Raton, Las Vegas. Lunch for today was the Angus Burger. Holding before Lamy, #4 eastbound passes at 2:28pm. Engineer calls dispatcher, still looking at red signal. They look at it, clear signal, and we are on move towards Lamy. Dinner for the evening was the special, Chicken breast stuffed with broccoli and baby shrimp. It was excellent. By now, with Arizona not observing DST, my clock is so screwey, i don’t know what time it is. I finally get to sleep about 9:30 local time.

Still dark as we go through the Cajon Pass. We pull into San Bernardino, and riverside, then get stuck behind a freight because we are doing about 30mph the rest of the way into LA. Still only about ten minutes late, due to padding in schedule.

Part 2:

Fast forward to April 23rd, I leave LV for LA Union station about 10:45am. Traffic is not bad, and i arrive about 3:30pm. They are building condominiums on the parking lot off Cesar Chavez ave, (really bright idea there),so the rental return lot is quite a shag away, and regular parking is minimal at best. I return car and check bag, it;s now about 4:10, they should start to board about 6, so i wait. They really need a metropolitan lounge here. We board about 6, i am in room E of the 431 car. It is a Superliner 2,

Attendant is John, a 15+ year veteran. Car is 32094, Montana. Looks in relatively good condition. In the lead is p42 #192, followed by 69 and 73 and 37.(4 engines? Must be one going to Chi for maint. as usual consist is 3.

baggage 1004, crew dorm 39039 (in phase 5) The 430 car is 32013, dineris 38050, lounge 33012 and coaches 31504, 34033, and 34059. we have 11 express on the tail. Highball at 6:46 pm, we pickup the freight, and are under way at 7:09 pm We are pretty close to on time thru Fullerton , Riverside, and San Bernardino. There is a waxing crescent moon tonite with only 17% illumination, so it is doubtful we will be able to see anything in the Cajon Pass.

Awoke Saturday just as we were pulling out of Flagstaff. Took a shower, went to diner for breakfast. Diner is on cycle 3. I had french toast. All fairly normal through Winslow. We get to Holbrook, and stop there, an ambulance and police pull up, someone in the coach is having a seizure. They get some meds into him, and decide he will continue to Albuquerque. GPS says we are pushing 90 along this stretch, maybe trying to make up some time.

We do get to ABQ at 12:15, giving us ample time there. Out of ABQ on time, on time thru Lamy, Las Vegas, and Raton. Trinidad. Dinner tonight was the Delmonico, which was as good as always. Again doing over 80 for most of the Trinidad to LaJunta run. Early arrival at LaJunta at 7:54 gives us 40 minutes here. Depart on time at 8:39.

Up the next morning about 7:00. We are late. Don't get to Kansas city till 7:56, making us down 45 mins. We roll through the farms of western Missouri at about 80 mph. Still down 30 min at LaPlata. 35 down at Ft. Madison. 45 min down at Galesburg, due to a couple of slow orders. Maintained time thru Princeton, and Mendota. Same for Napierville. We should get to Union Station about 3:30 by my calculations, let's see if i'm on.

Ok, i'm off a little. It was 3:40 when we stopped at the platform. Went to Nino Panino's for a sub, then to the metropolitan lounge to wait for #48, the Lakeshore Limited. I have room 1 in the 4810 car, the National View,. Also in the consist are 2 p42's, diner 8552, cafe, and 3 coaches 25003,25117,25054.

Again,as is more often the rule rather than the exception, it is a rushed boarding and a hurried departure.

Someone is gotta do a better job of getting the sleeper passengers loaded, and out to the platform.

Now, i'll step off the soapbox.

7:07p and we are waiting for the mail to be attached before we can hiball.

7:22pm and we're off. This train is on the same menu cycle as the eastbound southwest chief,#3. I have the pasta, since it is 9:00 at night, and don't need a heavy meal. We are down about a half an hour throughout the evening, and into Buffalo still sitting in the station at 6:07a. Gonna skip breakfast this am, as i will be getting off in a couple of hours. Out of Buffalo at 6:11am. Into Rochester at7:25am , and finally into Syracuse at 8:36am

General comments and observations:

1. Hopefully, the Chicago metropolitan lounge re-do will include improved methods of communication between the gates and lounge, as boarding practices always seem to be rushed and haphazard.

2. Amtrak Maintenance had better check the 32023 car for wheel trueness, as I suspect from the ride there may be a wheel that has a flat spot or other anamoly as it tended to shudder while running.

3. Both SW Chief Dining car Crews, while each unique, did a great job of getting people in, and out with little problems. The Lakeshore limited crews need to take some lessons.

4. Overall, though I enjoyed this trip.

:lol:

Greetings, I am a student attempting to complete a Food Purchasing Course assignment and I need to get a hold of the cycle menus that Amtrak uses. I see that you reference them in your post. Would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Greetings, I am a student attempting to complete a Food Purchasing Course assignment and I need to get a hold of the cycle menus that Amtrak uses. I see that you reference them in your post. Would be greatly appreciated.
Sonia,the original post is six years old!!

Sonia,

As noted by Rick, this topic is 6 years old. Amtrak no longer uses the cycle menus, so they are no longer available.

You can find the current menus used, some are train specific, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back