Trip report: Glenview-Milwaukee-Chicago...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Bredin

On Saturday the 8th, I and a friend took a day-trip from Chicago to Milwaukee on the Hiawatha.

We took #331 north. I got on at Glenview on-time, having already heard from my friend by cell phone that the train left Chicago on-time. There was no food cart service, and my friend told me that there was an announcement that the cart was not used on weekend trains. After traveling at full speed from Glenview to at least Rondout junction, we crept for several minutes through the northern part of Lake County (north of Rondout but south of the big power plant at the State line). However, they announced pretty much right away that the delay was due to signal problems, we never actually stopped, and we were back up to full speed after a few minutes. Assuming my counting of the seconds between mile-posts was correct, we then traveled at about 70mph. We arrived about 10 minutes late at Sturtevant, and were still late by only 10 minutes or less at Milwaukee Airport and finally at Milwaukee.

They did an EXCELLENT job remodeling the Milwaukee station. Once you come inside from the platform area -- which is unchanged -- one would think it was a wholly new building! Dark and cramped has been utterly banished by bright and airy, gray concrete by clean white walls and glass. B) Plenty of seating, no concessionaire but plenty of vending machines, separate manned counters for Amtrak and Greyhound. The canopy over the Greyhound bus bays was an interesting echo of Milwaukee's new ship-like Art Museum. And there is a somewhat-hidden gem: an interesting painting of the old station (the Victorian-era one, not the concrete-bunker 1960s building, which this theoretically still is) over by the elevators up to the office level. My only nitpicks: no ATM machine, and no rack of tourist pamphlets, Milwaukee County Bus schedules, etc.. :( I found it very odd that I could find a Milwaukee tourist map on a rack at Chicago Union Station but NOT at the Milwaukee station! :rolleyes:

After seeing various sights in Milwaukee, we took #340 back to Chicago. Though I boarded the northbound train in Glenview, I rode southbound all the way to CUS. We left on-time, and were on-time at every stop up to and including CUS. There was an inordinately large crowd at Sturtevant, with a particularly large number of children. When only a few people boarded our train, I and my friend were puzzled. We rattled our brains trying to think of why so many people would be taking #339 north from Sturtevant, which was due into Sturtevant just a few minutes after us. Then, somewhere south of the State line but north of Gurnee, we had the answer: the Canadian Pacific Railway's Holiday Train passed us thundering northward, all lit up like Broadway. :eek: The crowd at Sturtevant was not waiting to board a train but to see one!

All in all, an interesting trip.

I thought that was you that I saw on 340 in Milwaukee, walking up and down the aisle looking for some forward-facing seats (since there were none in the middle two cars).

I guess I'll add my own little trip report, then.

I rode up on 337 to see the "new" station (even though I had passed through that station during various phases of the remodeling, that was my first time since the official reopening a couple of weeks ago). We were delayed at Rondout due to a broken down CP freight train, which meant that 338 had to go through on track 1 (normally the northbound/westbound track) before we proceeded. As a result, we were about 25-30 minutes late getting to MKE. I had just enough time to run over to a Wells Fargo bank a few blocks away to make an ATM transaction (since there are no Wells Fargos in Chicago), before returning to the station and getting on board.

A few notes about the station: There will be a restaurant eventually. I don't know if they've already found a vendor and they're just building it (probably in the blank wall area where the old ticket counters used to be), or if they're still looking. I hadn't noted the lack of information brochures and such, but I'll contact a friend at MCTS and see if something can be added.

The new electronic departure board has the old Amtrak logo on it (in electronic form, no less). I find that somewhat odd. I wanted to take a picture of it, but was only able to get a blurry photo (I needed to find a steady surface to place the camera) before a security guard told me there were no photos. "I don't know why, but that's just what they said," he told me. Somehow, I doubt such a rule exists. Certainly, nobody bothered me when I was taking photos of the old station.

Anyway, I got back on train 340 and rode down to Sturtevant to see the aforementioned Holiday Train (along with fellow forum member rtabern). Afterwards, I got on train 342 and went back to Chicago.

The other Robert (Tabern) may also want to comment on his trip, and post links to photos he took.

The best part is that MKE-SVT-CHI costs the same as MKE-CHI ($21 one-way, or $18.90 with a NARP discount). If you buy the tickets separately, it would be $29 ($9 MKE-SVT, and $20 SVT-CHI). Theoretically, I should also be able to get 200 AGR points instead of 100, since I rode two different trains.

All right, enough rambling for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back