Trip from Phoenix to Milwaukee

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfmom

Train Attendant
My husband and I are taking a one way trip in December from Phoenix to Milwaukee. There are a few different train options. Have any of you take this route and what was your experience.. This will be my husbands first train trip... I want him to have a great experience

Others will throw in their own opinions. Here is my advice: For expediency and better scenery, get yourself up to Flagstaff. Either take a bus ( the night before ) or drive up there. ( I live in Flagstaff and can give you more info on request. ) If you are up for a pretty interesting but rather long trip, you probably know that Amtrak has not stopped in Phoenix itself in some years, because of Union Pacific downgrading the line through Phoenix. Your stop is Maricopa, 30 miles or so to the south. My friend and I went this route several months ago and boarded in Tucson. We enjoyed this route very much, but it may not be for everybody. The route from Flagstaff involves one night on the train to Chicago; the second the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle, involves two nights. One caoch and one sleeper are detached from the New Orleans bound Sunset Limited early in the morning and coupled on to the Texas Eagle bound for Chicago. Some may find this route boring - not in our opinion. Going through small towns in Texas away from Interstate highways kept our attention.

To sum up: Southwest Chief, Flagstaff to Chicago, faster schedule, dramatic scenery through northern New Mexico into Colorado.

Runs daily: Ex. Lv. Flagstaff 4:41 am, arrive the next day in Chicago around 3:15 pm.

Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle - only runs three days a week. Leave early morning from MAricopa or Tucson, arrive 2 days later midday in Chicago. Several trains per day connecting to Milwaukee. Others will also tell you that if you take the second option, be sure to book Train 422, ( Train 421 westbound )which represents the one through sleeper and one through coach that is switched out in San Antonio to the Tecas Eagle. Otherwise, you will end up having to get off in San Antonio and wait around at odd hours for boarding the next train.

I just did a 4 day trip (I'm linking to my Blog) basically on your proposed itinerary and had a great time. I redeemed 20,000 AGR Points for a Roomette (this trip when I looked up the cash cost would have been about $1,800) from Phoenix to Columbus Wisconsin (the stop before Milwaukee, otherwise we would have been rerouted a more practical route) and had a great trip. The itinerary was the Thruway Connection, An Arizona Shuttle Van from Phoenix to Flagstaff, Roomette on the Southwest Chief to Los Angeles, Up the Coast Starlight to Portland and across on the Empire Builder to Milwaukee.

I assume you already know there is no Amtrak service directly to Phoenix:

Your options are driving to the town of Maricopa on the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle, Greyhound to Tucson (how I got to Phoenix to start my reward trip, getting off the Sunset Limited from Los Angeles), or the Greyhound, the Shuttle Van (bookable through Amtrak you will have to have paper value tickets to sent to you, the Shuttle company refers to Amtrak tickets as vouchers) or driving to Flagstaff.

More practical itineraries (all of which require leaving Phoenix in the dead of night since the trains stop eastbound early in the morning) to Milwaukee is either via Flagstaff for 2 days and one night via the Southwest Chief to Chicago and up on the Hiawatha (that feels like an Amtrak operated commuter train, using Horizon Coaches with no food service or business class, perfectly fine for the short ride) to Milwaukee or going to Maricopa or Tucson for two nights and two days on the Texas Eagle thru sleeper/coach to Chicago and north on the Hiawatha.

Arizona Shuttle operates vans between Phoenix Sky Harbor airport (best to use Terminal 2) and Flagstaff (every 2 hours at least) and Tucson (hourly). Book online with Arizona Shuttle--slightly cheaper than as Thruway connection, and no paper ticket hassle.. Stop in Flagstaff is at Amtrak station. In Tucson, on U of Arizona campus (cab to Amtrak).

Thanks everyone.... I think we will take the greyhound to maricopa... Now to find a reasonably priced sleeper:)

Greyhound doesn't go to Maricopa (there isn't any public trasportation there to connect to) you need to take it to Tucson for the Sunset or Flagstaff for the Chief.

The eastbound from Tucson leaves at 8:15am. I suggest you stay overnight in the Congress Hotel like we did, which is across the street from Amtrak and near Greyhound. We left a car in the city garage, also across the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back