Tri-Rail on #98

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Just walked in and there's a Tri-Rail car #502 sitting on Tk #1.

I looked on the yard sheet and it's going out tomorrow on the back of #98!!! :eek: It will not be on 480 power and will have a red light strapped on the back. Don't know where it's going but will try to find out tonight.

First time in the 5 years I've been here that this has been done.

B)

Amfleet said:
Where's it going? <_<
And Why?

It probably won't make it to NYP with those Hudson River Tunnels, maybe it's headed for Washington for VRE or MARC, as they both use Bi-Levels, although different types.

The Coast Starlight is a favorite way for CalTrain to have their new bi-levels delivered. Saw one on 11 Monday morning in Oakland. Funny thing was there were no markers on on the back, nor was there a red light strapped to the back.

The word in the yard is that the car is going to Sanford, Fla for testing.

The car #502 is a cab car and Tri-Rail is going to do some testing with a diesel powered coach. Never saw or heard of such a thing. I guess they are considering getting away from the 40's in the near future. Don't know why, I'm going to go tomorrow and ask around their yard.

If anyone can add some info on the motorized coach, please do.

I'm having a bad diner nite tonight, so I won't be back till late!! :(

B)

The diner is 8528 and the freezers are hot!!

I checked at the compressor and all the freon leaked out, including the compressor oil. I found the leak at the sightglass on the compressor and was able to tighten it. While this stopped the leak, I have to pull a vacumn for 2 hrs to remove the moisture in the lines. While hooking up the gauges, I found the service vavle to be defective and that took an hr to change. I got the vacumn pump on at 10:15pm and still have to work up a V/L too!! :( I think I better get my butt back on the train!! :lol:

B)

:D

D.C. Assesses Self-Propelled Train

Inexpensive Locomotive-Free Rail Car Runs on Existing Track

Article 10 of 190 found

Lindsey LaytonWashington Post Staff Writer

October 6, 2002; Page C12

Section: Metro

Word Count: 637

The train idling on Track 11 at Union Station last week stood out among the Amtrak Metroliners, not because of its gleaming maroon-and-gold body or glass dome windows. What set it apart was what it lacked: a locomotive. The $2.9 million train is a new type of transit vehicle, a cross between a bus and a commuter rail car, and a top District official says it holds great promise for improving transportation in the city. "We're looking for simple, inexpensive

This is the text for an article in the Washington Post...(I didn't get the whole thing because it cost $2.95....) The comapny that builds this coach according to the article in in Colorado...

I can't remember the name, I do remember it started wth Colorado...I'll try to find out the name of the company .....I did visit the website, and they have other products you all may be interested in looking at..... hope this helps.

I can't remember the name, I do remember it started wth Colorado...I'll try to find out the name of the company .....I did visit the website, and they have other products you all may be interested in looking at..... hope this helps.
I think you're referring to the Colorado Rail Car DMU that appeared at DC Union and a number of other places on its recent tour.

Miami Joe said:
Just walked in and there's a Tri-Rail car #502 sitting on Tk #1.
I looked on the yard sheet and it's going out tomorrow on the back of #98!!! :eek: It will not be on 480 power and will have a red light strapped on the back.
I'm going on 98 today DFB to DLD and will post from on board this afternoon via the wireless connect if the Tri-Rail car is dropped in Sanford.

Train 97 dropped the Tri-Rail coach in Sanford this afternoon. Southbound 97 is pulling the loc\omotive that was in DC. Both will be coupled up for a political-type demo this weekend.

tp49 said:
I think you're referring to the Colorado Rail Car DMU that appeared at DC Union and a number of other places on its recent tour.
:eek:

Yes, that's correct.... They are called Colrado Railcar LLC....interesting concept...

According to their website, they will be on the West coast (northwest in November, and in the southwest after the first of next year....)

Do you think this application has chance of being used by the large regional transportation locations ?

Do you think this application has chance of being used by the large regional transportation locations ?
No, I have nothing against self propelled rail cars, but those just aren't commuter worthy. Colorado Rail Car is known for making poor and crudy rail cars since the early '90's and more is not neede. :angry: B)

Most large regional commuters have their preference of rolling stock. Most of them order custom equipment and I think they prefer to have cars, locomotoves, or in the case of the Northeast electric MU's. Without any knowledge of the quality of Colorado Railcar's product when I first saw their DMU I thought it looked like a diesel powered light rail vehicle so maybe it has a future as that.

OK I personally can offer a lot of insight into this situation. The Cab Car was being furnished by Tri-Rail to the Office of Rep John Mica ®. They will be doing some inital testing for a possible Light Rail system in the Orlando Metro Area over CSX Tracks. When I spoke with an engineer friend of mine last week, and he was reportedly supposed to be the engineer. I'll give him a call tonight and see if it still holds true.

With the high costs of building a transit system like Miami or Baltimore, it's cheaper to buy cars that are capable of running on existing right of ways.

More and more track is being abandoned each year, because of maintenance costs and profit loss over the years on certain spurs. It takes a long time and government approval before a track can be "abandoned".

But, if a city or state can buy equipment to run on track that's already been laid, they have saved millions that can be used for station construction and other uses.

B)

According to my source in Sanford the Tri-Rail Cab Coach is due to return to Miami tomorrow. I am guessing it will come in on P097(25) as most of Tri-Rail's maintence staff will be in the lull after trains go out for the afternoon, but before the evening returns when 97 comes in. I'll know for sure when we check the markers on P091(25).

Checked ARROW and the car is not scheduled for return tomorrow.

You need to check your sources!! :blink:

B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back