Tremonsia Rebuilds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Kid

Service Attendant
Hello everyone,

I was wondering as i am making some computer models for a tremonsia rebuild diner, and the process that im doing it is from a Phase 3 Diner, the car i currently have is accurate for a phase 3 former NP Diner. Could someone help a nitpicker at what exactly amtrak changed externally and internally to these rolling antiques?

Corey

No, as far as I'm aware those rebuilds happened at Beech Grove IIRC. It may have been Bear though.

No, as far as I'm aware those rebuilds happened at Beech Grove IIRC. It may have been Bear though.
My recolection is the same as yours, that the rebuilds were done in Beech Grove.

And as far as I know, it was interior work only. Nothing was done on the exterior to my knowledge. Except for the numbers, I don't think that there is any way to tell if you have an old diner or a rebuilt interior, until you actually walk into the car.

Internal changes were extensive, including new ceiling panels (very cool looking at night), all new booths and tables, new lights, new floors and walls, all new kitchen areas and apliances, new counter (that originally had barstools for people to sit at. I'm not sure if the A/C was replaced, but I did notice that the rebuilds usually had less problems during the summer months with maintaining the correct temps.

I do believe the A/C system was rebuilt. Many times when a major overhaul is done big work is done on the whole car, brakes, batteries, electrical, A/C, etc. Now this was in the Dark Days of Amtrak when these rebuilds happened so who knows what happened.

Well for starters, the Amtrak name is Timoinsa, not Tremonsia.
Should be Temoinsa, for Tecnicas Modulares e Industriales, S.A.

There are some interior photos of car 8505 at

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakonline/tripr...preport1-1.html
Oops, quite right it is an "e" not an "i". After looking at the original mispelling, I wanted to be sure myself and checked out the spelling on OTOL. They have it spelled wrong in one spot and right in another and naturally I grabbed the wrong one. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back