Travelling with little children

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine invited me to go from Indianapolis to LA, but I have a 4 year old and a 8 months old baby and I was hoping for opinions on this. I know the trip is very long but my friend (who doesn't have children of her own) is insisting. I am really worried about a crawling baby and a bored toddler on the train. I know we are going first class. Any thoughts? Thanks!

we have taken amtrak with a baby and small child. travelling with children of those ages can be trying whatever the mode of transportation. i think the baby might be easier than the 4 year old. do you have a bedroom, family bedroom or roomette? all, in my opinion have, room for the baby to play and sleep. the four year old will need books, games, etc. the three meals take up a lot of time, you can wander through the train, hopefully there is a sightseer lounge(they have nice tables and movies in the evenings) and it's fun just to relax in your room. pretrip planning helps our kids so they can identify what they are seeing from the train. i wouldn't recommend it for hyper adults and more than normally hyper kids but for laid back adults and normally hyper kids it could be a great thing.

I would be considered a "hyper" adult. Raging ADHD and wired for 110 and always going 220! But.....I love riding the train! Why because I did my homework from this site and others and packed intelligently. Knew I wasn't going to be on time, my watch gets thrown in with my luggage when we board. I bring a book that is an "easy read" for alot of people but somewhat of a challenge for me, and I kick back, relax and do what little relaxing I do in life all on the train!!!!! :rolleyes:

Rent digEplayers in Chicago Union Station before you board the Chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back