Traveling with children

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Jennifer

I do not post alot so I hope I have put this in the right place..

I need to know the best way to take 3 small children under the age of 7 to St. Louis from Texas. I know all about the routes, I have been online searching but I need to know if I buy 2 adult seats and 2 child seats and 1 infant seat if 2 superliner roomettes would be big enough and if I will actually have to hold our youngest or if he can sit with his brother since they are both small. We need the cheapest thing possible but I am not sure about the coach seats. My boys tend to be able to sleep in the car with no problem but is the roomette more private if they end up getting loud? There is a family bedroom available on the way back but not on the way there so I was thinking about asking for 2 roomettes together. Also, what about id for the kids? Do I need their birth certificates or anything?

Thanks so much-

Guest Jennifer,

I have been traveling by train with my son since he was a toddler. He is 13 now. Over the years we have come to realize the benefits of each type of travel.

In a roomette, you have privacy. And your kids should they get loud won't bother anyone else. You get your meals included in the fare, and you have access to a shower.

Going in coach, you will save money. You have your choice of the dining car, or for lighter and cheaper fare, the lounge car. Assuming you are going during the time when school is out, your kids will almost certainly meet kids their ages. You and the other kids' parents can take turns watching them while the other parents can rest and enjoy the trip.

Two small kids may fit in one seat. If you go in coach class you may prefer this since you all will be together in one row of seats.

No matter how you travel, make sure you bring munchies for them, some familiar toys and games, and other things to keep them busy. Children tend to bore quickly, and they need something to do that won't be disruptive to the other passengers.

As for ID, this is checked only at random. I strongly doubt that they are going to bother with asking for ID for kids, especially that young. Kids don't have drivers licenses and may not have anything else with their photo on it. Plus they grow up so fast that they may not resemble the photo after a couple of years. :)

Have a wonderful trip, and good luck!! :)

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how closely they moniter the ages of the young children. Our middle child just turned 4. If we upgrade to a room can we label him an infant so the overall cost is cheaper realizing he would have to sit with his brother and that we would have to buy him a meal? I guess I am wondering how strict they are with the ages of children. A room seems like such a better idea so the kids don't disturb others but its so much more expensive. I want the trip to be affordable and comfortable.

Thanks again

Kids love small spaces, buttons and switches, and things that fold and convert to other uses. Given all that, it's no wonder that they love train bedrooms. My daughter, at least. She's all cooped up with daddy in there. We can play board games, watch the scenery go by, take naps, tickle, and climb up into the bunk, down again, over and over again. She likes to go "fishing" with the hook on the end of the protective net of the upper bunk, guessing by weight what unseen item I've set on her hook.

What can I say but that two nights on the California Zephyr recently are two of the best nights I've ever spent with my 8-year-old? Considering that all our meals came with the fare, it was almost a bargain. From Denver to California, it was a double 2-for-1 deal. A second person shares the roomette for the same price as one, and for one night's accomodations we got two day's free meals. See, there's ways to rationalize it, even though at $150 it was the priciest hotel room I've ever booked. It's also very nice, that you and the kid can get a shower en route.

Back