Traveling from Charlotte

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So why have they not made the connection from the Piedmont to the Silver Star? A little bit of schedule tweaking and its done. I want to go on a cruise and it would be great to take Amtrak from Charlotte. There is no way I am getting on the Crescent at the hour it comes or doing a 10 hour layover with the Carolinian. Why the foolishness? Charlotte is a major city in the south and it can't make a reasonable connection to Florida when all they have to do is barely move the schedules. This is messed up.

Talk with the State of North Carolina, as they set the schedule for the Piedmont, not Amtrak. Amtrak can't and won't change the Star's schedule because they need to worry about too many other connections elsewhere, not to mention fit into CSX's schedule too.

There has been an advertised connection between the Piedmont and Star at various points in time over the past 10 years. The Piedmont schedule has remained largely unchanged throughout; it is Amtrak's annual schedule tinkering that sometimes makes and sometimes breaks the connection.

I for one am glad that NCDOT has not made a point of adjusting the Piedmont's schedule to maintain the connection; maintaining the Piedmont's consistent and convenient schedule is very important to its success as a corridor service. I'm not sure if anyone was keeping statistics from the years when the connection was advertised, but my guess is that out of the roughly 200 or so who rode the Piedmont daily, at best 5 or 10 would be transferring to/from the Star.

Right now, I'm not sure why they don't advertise the 76->91 connection at Cary, though. This could be done without any schedule adjustment at all. The Piedmont route is short enough and reliable enough that 63 minutes buffer should be plenty, even if 76 is late and 91 is on time. 76 arrives in CYN at 8:24pm; 91 departs at 9:27pm. If I were you, I would certainly feel comfortable booking this trip.

I suppose they could also advertise a 92->79 connection at Cary or Raleigh as well, but it would be inconvenient, with scheduled layovers of 8hr 48min (at Cary - 8:15am to 5:03pm) or 7hr 56min (at Raleigh - 8:54am to 4:50pm.) You could also book this trip comfortably, if you don't mind spending 8 hours in town. I would recommend transferring in Raleigh - take the (free) R-Line circulator bus and find something to do in town while you wait.

Once the midday Piedmont starts in March, there could be a 92->75 connection at Cary. If the schedule for 92 stays roughly the same, it would leave about a 3.5 hour layover. 92 arrives at CYN at 8:15am; 75 will depart sometime around 11:45am (though no official schedule has been released yet.). 3.5 hours should be just about right for a guaranteed connection considering 92's timekeeping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 92->79, I tried DLD-BHM last night on the website and it came up, as part of 92-79-19. Admittedly, it's a super-long trip (two nights on the train!) for a short distance, and that can't look too attractive to most non-railfans, but I agree it's a good excuse if you'd like to spend some time in Raleigh.

Right now, I'm not sure why they don't advertise the 76->91 connection at Cary, though. This could be done without any schedule adjustment at all. The Piedmont route is short enough and reliable enough that 63 minutes buffer should be plenty, even if 76 is late and 91 is on time. 76 arrives in CYN at 8:24pm; 91 departs at 9:27pm. If I were you, I would certainly feel comfortable booking this trip.
Be advised that this unadvertised connection is not as reliable as it might seem on paper. Just tonight 76 got out of Charlotte okay, but got into some sort of trouble just up the road. Next thing you know it's 1H 17M late. 91 was on time and made it through Cary before 76 did.

Last week 76 hit some trespassers in Kannapolis and limped by here (Cary) about 3 hours late.

If it were me, I'd take 74 (when it starts making the midday run) in order to catch 91 at Cary or Raleigh. Unfortunately, there would still be an approximately 6 hour layover.

John Bobinyec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back