Transdorm on the Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slasharoo

Service Attendant
We just booked our fall trip out to Santa Barbara. The Zephyr and Coast Starlight out, the Starlight and Empire Builder back to MKE. We were booked in room 20 of the Transdorm on the Zephyr. I know that you never know which way a sleeper may be oriented, but I would think the Transdorm is always oriented the same way? But I have also read that there are two different designs for the Transdorms. Does this change where room 20 is located?

Also, is it still a toss up on whether you can store baggage on the lower level?

Thanks,

John

The Transdorm is always oriented steps forward, obviously so it can do its duty. This puts the Crew Quarters closer to the Baggage/Engines and the public Roomettes are closer to the "meat" of the train. I've had Conductors tell me to feel free to use the Crew Lounge area downstairs to store and sort my carry ons.

We just booked our fall trip out to Santa Barbara. The Zephyr and Coast Starlight out, the Starlight and Empire Builder back to MKE. We were booked in room 20 of the Transdorm on the Zephyr. I know that you never know which way a sleeper may be oriented, but I would think the Transdorm is always oriented the same way? But I have also read that there are two different designs for the Transdorms. Does this change where room 20 is located?
Also, is it still a toss up on whether you can store baggage on the lower level?

Thanks,

John
Yes, the low end of the transition sleeper will always be forward. You can see a diagram at http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

Roomette 20 look like it will be on the right side of the train.

It is my understanding that rooms in the transdorm are the last to be booked to the public. So, it sounds to me like your CZ ride will be well-populated with sleeper passengers, with the other two sleeping cars fully booked already in roomette class.

It is my understanding that rooms in the transdorm are the last to be booked to the public. So, it sounds to me like your CZ ride will be well-populated with sleeper passengers, with the other two sleeping cars fully booked already in roomette class.
Not always. I was booked in the transition sleeper one time when I was the first to buy tickets for the train (11 months out). That was on the Coast Starlight, though.

Also a word of warning: The transition sleeper is on the front of train but unlike other trains the CZ has the other sleepers on the rear of the train.

That means you will likely have a coach attendant (not the attendant from another sleeper) working to take care of you. Also if they don't setup coffee and juice in the old conductors office... You have a long walk to get a free drink in another sleeper.

Also a word of warning: The transition sleeper is on the front of train but unlike other trains the CZ has the other sleepers on the rear of the train.
That means you will likely have a coach attendant (not the attendant from another sleeper) working to take care of you. Also if they don't setup coffee and juice in the old conductors office... You have a long walk to get a free drink in another sleeper.
I searched previous comment boards about the transdorm and we should be ok, even if forgotten about. My wife is definitely a coffee addict, but she is addicted to Starbucks, so she would rather go without. I don't have any problems arranging the beds, so that should be ok, too. Maybe I can get the dining car number and call them for our dinner reservations. :)

We just booked the CZ in October and assigned Roomette #18. Must be the Transdorm?

The Amtrak agent said we were in an all Roomette car, so I thought it was something new - maybe like the Deluxe Bedroom sleepers found on the Auto Train - only with Roomettes rather than Bedrooms. But after reading the, I concluded that we are in the Transdorm, and I thisnk the Transdorm is all roomettes (no bedrooms) so in essence, she is correct.

I like the Transdorm - I think it has a better bathroom and shower situation.

We just booked the CZ in October and assigned Roomette #18. Must be the Transdorm?
The Amtrak agent said we were in an all Roomette car, so I thought it was something new - maybe like the Deluxe Bedroom sleepers found on the Auto Train - only with Roomettes rather than Bedrooms. But after reading the, I concluded that we are in the Transdorm, and I thisnk the Transdorm is all roomettes (no bedrooms) so in essence, she is correct.

I like the Transdorm - I think it has a better bathroom and shower situation.
I agree, for the bathrooms and showers, the transdorm is great. For service, it's hit and miss. For what it's worth, in 3 trips in the dorm, I always had water, juice and coffee set up. Ice was hit and miss, I know at least one trip, I had to go and get it from the cafe. They asked it I was sleeper, I told them indeed I was, they told me I needed to get it from there...I just simply said "transdorm".......had a bag of ice in seconds. So, as long as you don't need much in the way of attention, and don't mind being near the horn, I don't mind the dorms much. I prefer the bathrooms/showers there, and it's got almost no foot traffic other than the crew, and I never even noticed them. have a good trip!

Maybe I can get the dining car number and call them for our dinner reservations. :)
Only phone in the diner is a PA phone. Don't worry, the LSA will come to get your lunch and dinner reservations. :)

I see, we will have to walk through coach to get to the SSL and Dinner. The CZ sleepers are on the rear, so the Transdorm has to be alone - up front by the baggage car and engine. Still, it's about the last room open on the train, so no complaints from me. We have a roomette, so I'll just wear my "walking shoes" for our trips back to the dinner.

Been in transdorm on the Eagle, and had no problems at all. Enjoyed the quiet.

I might have missed something, but why couldn't you? Boarding the EB transdorm in Seattle recently, the downstairs luggage looked like a dining car table, i.e., it had a bunch of junk in it. But I just made room and put my stuff there. I can't imagine a staff member wanting to take on the extra job of finding a place for your luggage.

As I walked up to the transdorm door (it was right in front of the entrance to the station), an employee, could have been the conductor, AC, or even a station agent, seemed unsure if I could board there. While I was waiting for him to make up his mind, the SCA from the adjacent sleeper came and opened the door. That solved the problem of who was going to carry our two folding bikes back to the next car, up the stairs, through the door to the transdorm, and back down to the luggage rack.

Except for the weirdness to start, I had no complaints about service in the transdorm. The whistle even seemed to be muffled somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back