tranferring in Boston to Downeaster

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How hard is it to tranfer to the Downeaster? I purchased my tickets and I have a voucher but it doesnt say if its for subway or bus??? \\Also how many stops does the # 66 train from PHL to BOS make?

You can look up the timetable at www.amtrak.com to see all of the stops of the 66. There are many as it is a regional/local train. The train does make TWO stops in Boston - the first is BBY, or back bay station. If you get off there, it is an easy transfer via subway to North Station, where you can catch the downeaster. It will also be rush hour if you go during the week so the trains should be running fairly frequently. You would take the orange line to north station from Back Bay.

You could also continue on the train to South Station, which is the second Boston stop and the terminus of the train. Again, this is an easy transfer via subway but you will need to take the red line from south station, headed towards alewife, and then transfer at Downtown crossing to the orange line or at Park Street for the green line to North Station. You should allow yourself at least 30-45 minutes for this connection.

If you wish to take a taxi, I recommend that you do so at South Station because there is a cab stand there and it is closer to north station. If you wish to transfer via subway, it is obviously easier to do so from Back Bay.

According to Amtrak, #66 makes 14 stops between PHL and BOS, non-inclusive. The easiest way to transfer to the Downeaster would be to get off at Back Bay (BBY) and transfer for the MBTA Orange Line to North Station, but since you're going to South Station the easiest way would be to take a cab.

EDIT: amamba beat me to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
How hard is it to tranfer to the Downeaster? I purchased my tickets and I have a voucher but it doesnt say if its for subway or bus??? \\Also how many stops does the # 66 train from PHL to BOS make?
I lived in Portland, ME for 5 years 1988 ~ 1993. At that time there was no commuter train Portland - Boston.

But on the TV show "Murder, She Wrote" Jessica was always going back and forth between Boston-Portland by train.

I got a kick out of that! :giggle:

Consider Business Class on 66. Well worth the money. 2 and 1 seating and their are blinds. In coach theirs not. The lights at NYP can be bright! The seats recline all the way also! WELL worth your money!

To correct amamba, there are THREE stations in Boston for #66 (Route 128 - RTE, Back Bay - BBY and South Station - BOS). I would recommend if you do not have much luggage, get off at BBY the SECOND stop. When you get off the train, go up the stairs/elevator, turn right, walk about 100 feet or so, and the "T" (subway) will be on the right. Take a northbound train to North station. If you have much luggage, take #66 to the THIRD stop in Boston (also the end of the line) and grab a cab to North Station.

BTW: You do not have to change your ticket if you decide to go to BBY. They are the same fare.

To correct amamba, there are THREE stations in Boston for #66 (Route 128 - RTE, Back Bay - BBY and South Station - BOS). I would recommend if you do not have much luggage, get off at BBY the SECOND stop. When you get off the train, go up the stairs/elevator, turn right, walk about 100 feet or so, and the "T" (subway) will be on the right. Take a northbound train to North station. If you have much luggage, take #66 to the THIRD stop in Boston (also the end of the line) and grab a cab to North Station.

BTW: You do not have to change your ticket if you decide to go to BBY. They are the same fare.
WOW !!! Dave sure is sharp this Monday morning...maybe I should go stand in line at NOL and purchase my Orlando tix ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Route 128 does NOT equal Boston. That stop is in Westwood. Last time I checked, that is a suburb. Unless the city of Boston has magically expanded their city limits....

Edited to add: You may say semantics, but saying RTE is in Boston is like saying New Rochelle is in New York City.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it correct that the "voucher" between BOS and BON doesn't actually pay for your subway ride (or taxi ride). It is just a marker to tell you that a station change is needed from one train to the other. I think some have tried to pay the subway fare with it and it won't work.

Isn't it correct that the "voucher" between BOS and BON doesn't actually pay for your subway ride (or taxi ride). It is just a marker to tell you that a station change is needed from one train to the other. I think some have tried to pay the subway fare with it and it won't work.
That is correct.

The "voucher" was originally a fictitious segment designed to fool Arrow into thinking the trip was continuous. At that time, Arrow could not handle a trip with segments that did not line up end to end, so booking any trip through BON required the fake segment between BOS and BON to make the reservation system happy.

Yes Tom, I've seen a few people scratching their heads at BOS with the fill-in tix that aren't worth the paper their printed on. Kinda reminds me of the Airtrain fare hassle at EWR; NJT had free kids day but when we got off we had to pony up the fare for the kiddos to ride the Airtrain~ talk about Gate ***** !!! :eek:hboy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back