Trains running early

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sbburkett

Train Attendant
Lately, just for fun, I've been using the Amtrak website's "train status" feature to see how various trains have been running as far as being on-time, late, etc.

While most of the time the results show trains on-time or running late, there have been a few times where it has shown trains running early--as much as 45 minutes early!

This has me wondering...how does a train running 45 minutes early affect passengers who arrive at a station 20-30 minutes before the train's scheduled time? Is it possible that someone who arrives at a station 20 minutes before the scheduled time early could miss the train because it was running so early?

I've only been on Amtrak once in ten years so I'm probably missing something obvious, but I would think that a train would either run more slowly or sit at stations longer to ensure they stay on schedule and don't run too early.

I can understand a train running this early if the next stop is its terminus, but I've seen trains running this early in the middle of the trip where it would be arriving at stations 45 minutes early. Is there a "limit" for how early a train can arrive and leave at a station to ensure passengers don't miss the train because it got to the station early?

I'd be curious to hear about this...

It depends on the schedule. If you look at the Silver Star (92) you'll see a "D" next to the times for Alexandria north. That says the train discharges passengers only and can leave early.

jb

It depends on the schedule. If you look at the Silver Star (92) you'll see a "D" next to the times for Alexandria north. That says the train discharges passengers only and can leave early.

jb
Unless there is a "D" next to the time, the train can't leave before the schedule time. A couple of years ago, we sat in Alpine, TX for at least 45 minutes because the train was early.

"D" or "L" a train can leave early. "D" is Discharge only. "L" is when a train will receive and discharge pax but can leave early. An example is Acela trains going to BOS will have an "L" at PVD.

Early arrival is permitted. Early departure means leaving potential passengers behind, so it is not. If the train does not board passengers at a particular station, the point is moot. Sometimes the Auto Train leaves before the published 4:00 departure time, but this is only after the time limit for passenger check-in has been reached, and after the final boarding announcement has been made.

Tom

Lots of padding in the schedules for many LD trains. E.g., the CZ has about 20 minutes padding in its schedules between GSC and GJT. And #5 has nearly an hour of padding in its schedule between RSV and EMY.

You can look up the timetable notations for the Auto Train. the timetable used to say departure was 4:00, and I believe that is still the nominal departure time. But now there is a note that says the train may leave before that if all preparations have been completed. I don't remember the exact wording.

Tom

I never could understand the reasoning of the 'L' designation....I understand what it indicates, but why not just make it a 'D', if passenger's cannot depend on it as far as boarding? :unsure:

I took the CS SEA-EMY recently, and we stayed nearly an hour at Sacramento. Some passengers boarded early an I suppose headed for the dining car.

jb
Unless there is a "D" next to the time, the train can't leave before the schedule time. A couple of years ago, we sat in Alpine, TX for at least 45 minutes because the train was early.

jb
A couple years ago our Sunset was about an hour early into Alpine and the Conductor invited folks growing tired of train food to wander into town and suggested close by eateries, reminding them to be back in no more than 1 hour. Normally if you are early into a station and some dwell time is expected, you should still check with the Conductor before you wander too far off.

"L" stops are not flag stops, but rather stops where the train may arrive 5-10 min early , and don't necessarily carry a lot of traffic between the few remaining stops, so will accept passengers if they happen to be there "when" the train arrives...

jb

jb
A couple years ago our Sunset was about an hour early into Alpine and the Conductor invited folks growing tired of train food to wander into town and suggested close by eateries, reminding them to be back in no more than 1 hour. Normally if you are early into a station and some dwell time is expected, you should still check with the Conductor before you wander too far off.
KInda what we experienced as well...the opportunity to wander further than the platform with the admonition to be back before the scheduled departure time. (For those unfamiliar with Alpine, "town" is pretty much a block away from the platform)

Fresnic: Alpine is my place of birth and I spent many happy Summers there with my Railroader Grandparents (SP) while growing up!

Its the nicest town in West Texas by far ( most are dying) with a Clean Mountain air, Sul Ross University, Music,Rodeos,Excellent Cafes and Hotels,Museums, Professional Baseball, Mountains, Artists and it's the Gateway to the Big Bend.

I'd much rather be on a layover in Alpine than in any other town on the Sunset Route West of New Orleans and East of Tucson, its a great growing little town!

Last edited by a moderator:
Airlines too will depart early. Most U.S. airlines now require passengers to present for boarding at least 15 (or 10 or 20) minutes prior to scheduled departure. It's not unusual for a captain to push back a few minutes ahead of departure if everyone boarded the plane by the cutoff, the cabin is ready, the bags are loaded and the cargo doors closed, the refueling and catering complete, etc.

Airlines too will depart early. Most U.S. airlines now require passengers to present for boarding at least 15 (or 10 or 20) minutes prior to scheduled departure. It's not unusual for a captain to push back a few minutes ahead of departure if everyone boarded the plane by the cutoff, the cabin is ready, the bags are loaded and the cargo doors closed, the refueling and catering complete, etc.
But that makes sense, as the airline knows if everyone has boarded or not, based on the tickets being scanned at security, and then again at the gate.

The airlines depend primarily on gate scan and reconciliation with roster and checked baggage, all of which has to match up.

I have been on flights, specially international ones that have pushed back from the gate as much as 15 to 20 mins early. As long as all booked passengers are on board with their bags they seem to be happy to declare the flight closed and leave, specially if they can catch an earlier departure slit at a congested airport.

Effectively the airlines have padded their schedules by 10, 15, or 20 minutes compared to pre-9/11 days when you could often show up at an airport 5 minutes before flight time and still get on board.

But that makes sense, as the airline knows if everyone has boarded or not, based on the tickets being scanned at security, and then again at the gate.
Not sure if it is system wide, but my station will not sell you tickets 5 min or 10 not 100% sure before train arrival for "Your Safety." I'm guessing they don't want people making a flying leap for the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back