Train to Galveston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope and it ain't going to happen anytime soon. Too bad Texas does not support pax trains much. Your best bet would be Greyhound Lines.

There's no Amtrak train, but there is an Amtrak bus that starts from Longview.

When you come from Dallas though, the connection doesn't make much sense.

Greyhound is your better bet. That trip would involve a transfer in Houston.

So get a bus from Dallas to Houston and another from Houston to Galveston.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others said, not train, but there are a number of intercity bus routes. For example, Greyhound as others mentioned. You could also look at Kerrville and Megabus Bus Lines. Kerrville has a route from Dallas to Galveston, but there is a almost 24hr layover in Houston. Also, Megabus goes from Dallas to Houston, so you could book a combination of Megabus and Kerrville. A combination of lines would be the best bus option. Megabus leaves Dallas at multiple times each day so there are lots of choices. Then you can go Greyhound or Kerrville to Galveston.

Steve

Another obvious option would be to fly Southwest Airlines from Dallas-Love Field to Houston-Hobby Airport on the southeast side of the

Houston metro area, then rent a car and drive the remaining 40 miles to Galveston. Or take a Supershuttle from the airport to Galveston.

Spendy, but much quicker than Greyhound.

Or for that matter, if driving is an option just drive the whole way from Dallas to Galveston...it's only 5 1/2 hours which would be much,

much faster than Greyhound or anything else that requires a connection. But if driving is not an option, and flying is too expensive,

then you're pretty much dependent on one of the bus options listed above.

Megabus actually leaves from Grand Prairie, not Dallas.

I would do Southwest, though.

Oh, god, I don't like where this there is going!

1. DON'T take Megabus, the DOT says that they have 85.9% fatigued driving and they use horrible Van Hool TD925 coaches!

2. DON't take Southwest, their planes are awful 737s and their prices are too high! Also, it's not good to go through an airport for such a short trip!

1. DON'T take Megabus, the DOT says that they have 85.9% fatigued driving and they use horrible Van Hool TD925 coaches!

2. DON't take Southwest, their planes are awful 737s and their prices are too high! Also, it's not good to go through an airport for such a short trip!
It'd be cool if you could link to your claims. For short page hauls, I'd much prefer Southwest's 737s over regional jets which seem to be taking over most short and medium distance flights on other airlines. And Southwest sill ranks 7th. As for Megabus, I can't comment.

It'd be cool if you could link to your claims. For short page hauls, I'd much prefer Southwest's 737s over regional jets which seem to be taking over most short and medium distance flights on other airlines. And Southwest sill [url = "]http://travel.usnews...Air_Tran_1755/] ranks 7th[/url]. As for Megabus, I can't comment.
I hate 737s, IMO they are far less comfortable than a intercontinental 747 but since the distance is so short I still like a Greyhound 102DL3 better than a Southwest 737.

Now for Megabus, there you go: http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SMS/Data/carrier.aspx?enc=Vx5RuGJ30z2B+BONp2RGLw==

I hate 737s, IMO they are far less comfortable than a intercontinental 747 but since the distance is so short I still like a Greyhound 102DL3 better than a Southwest 737.
If you hate 737, it does not mean you have to force your opinion on others. And sorry, the days of 747 are gone, you need to come out from the rock and embrace the present. You ain't gonna get a 747 on a domestic flight. If you ask me to choose, I'd happily take a Southwest 737 over a Greyhound, but that's my personal opinion and I am not telling the OP whether or not to take one or the other.

For going from Dallas to Galveston, my order of preference would be-

1) Drive all the way

2) Take Megabus (if reaching Grand Prairie is convenient) to Houston and drive a rental car from there

3) Take a Southwest flight to Houston and rent a car to drive to Galveston

4) Take Greyhound

I've never been to Galveston so can't comment on that part of the journey.

But I went from Houston to Dallas on Greyhound in May of this year, and was very satisfied.

The seats on the bus were very wide and spacious with plenty of space for my legs to stretch. Much nicer than seats on any airline I've been on (and that includes business class seats)

When i went the bus was more than half empty, so I had a row to myself and could stretch out and catch up with some sleep.

The bus also has WiFi (free), and I spent some time catching up with my emails. So all in all it was far superior to flying. And probably just as fast judging by what a pain it is to get to DFW on public transportation.

The whole trip cost me 35 dollars. A taxi to the airport would have cost me more. I don't really think Southwest can measure on shortish trips like that.

But I know that others are of differing opinion, so each unto his own.

Train service into Galveston ended in 1950-something. never even got close to Amtrak's start date. I think Houston-Galveston would make a wonderful interurban type service, but something would have to be done about the 10,000 road crossings and low speed limits on the railroad.

There have been studies and proposals for Houston-Galvestion commuter rail service in recent years, including one that estimated that corridor would have the highest ridership of the half-dozen or so corridors radiating from Houston that were studied. So far, however, it seems the Houston region has been concentrating on expanding the, by most accounts, quite successful light rail line/system first.

So far, however, it seems the Houston region has been concentrating on expanding the, by most accounts, quite successful light rail line/system first.
They are? Tell us more. I had the impression that was not going to happen.
There are several lines already under construction. Info on that and the other plans can be found here.

A quick stop giving percentages for progress on the various phases on the lines can be found here.

So far, however, it seems the Houston region has been concentrating on expanding the, by most accounts, quite successful light rail line/system first.
Well, Alan beat me to it. Was your impression just that (an impression), or had you seen/read indications that METRO Rail expansion was on hold/deferred/cancelled. (I hope that doesn't come across as combative or condescending. Rather, I meant it as an honest question.)

If you hate 737, it does not mean you have to force your opinion on others. And sorry, the days of 747 are gone, you need to come out from the rock and embrace the present. You ain't gonna get a 747 on a domestic flight. If you ask me to choose, I'd happily take a Southwest 737 over a Greyhound, but that's my personal opinion and I am not telling the OP whether or not to take one or the other.

For going from Dallas to Galveston, my order of preference would be-

1) Drive all the way

2) Take Megabus (if reaching Grand Prairie is convenient) to Houston and drive a rental car from there

3) Take a Southwest flight to Houston and rent a car to drive to Galveston

4) Take Greyhound
Hmm, you taken Greyhound much? Just reading reviews or taking one or two 102DL3s does not tell the whole story.

There are several lines already under construction. Info on that and the other plans can be found here.

A quick stop giving percentages for progress on the various phases on the lines can be found here.
Have they solved the multitude of accidents yet?

Well, Alan beat me to it. Was your impression just that (an impression), or had you seen/read indications that METRO Rail expansion was on hold/deferred/cancelled. (I hope that doesn't come across as combative or condescending. Rather, I meant it as an honest question.)
Wow, oh wow! Yes, it was an impression on my part. I had quit looking for anything to happen in the Houston direction. I kept an eye on things for quite a few years, but got the impression that when the first line was built that was going to be it and the city would never do rail again. So, I put Houston in my don't bother looking bucket.

I am very happy to see this happening. Generally, if you can ever get people acquainted with rail it will sell itself from that point forward. And to see them going more than one way at a time. Awesome!!!!!

I spent several days in Houston in May and there was very visible construction going on, with tracks already fitted in places. I believe three different lines are being built at the same time. Two further lines are on hold for now, but they were always more long-termish anyway. So all in all it's pretty substantial progress.

Wow, oh wow! Yes, it was an impression on my part. I had quit looking for anything to happen in the Houston direction. I kept an eye on things for quite a few years, but got the impression that when the first line was built that was going to be it and the city would never do rail again. So, I put Houston in my don't bother looking bucket.

I am very happy to see this happening. Generally, if you can ever get people acquainted with rail it will sell itself from that point forward. And to see them going more than one way at a time. Awesome!!!!!
In terms of ridership, the Hoston Metro is already ahead of many systems that are larger than it, being number 14 (out of 35) in terms of ridership counts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_light_rail_systems_by_ridership

In terms of ridership, the Hoston Metro is already ahead of many systems that are larger than it, being number 14 (out of 35) in terms of ridership counts.

http://en.wikipedia....ms_by_ridership
In fact (according to the above table) in terms of boardings per route mile, Houston is number 2 in the US ranking, surpassed only by Boston.

Train service into Galveston ended in 1950-something. never even got close to Amtrak's start date. I think Houston-Galveston would make a wonderful interurban type service, but something would have to be done about the 10,000 road crossings and low speed limits on the railroad.
1967, and the Santa Fe route through Alvin adds only 3 miles to the GH&H's distance...and it was running 90 mph into the '60s and is still in great shape.

1967, and the Santa Fe route through Alvin adds only 3 miles to the GH&H's distance...and it was running 90 mph into the '60s and is still in great shape.
My error. I was thinking of the service on the GH&H, most likely because our origin points would have been on the MoPac.

Yes, MoPac dropped service to Galveston sometime between 1954 and 1955. The old GH&H has a decent alignment, but as you correctly note there are a plethora of grade crossings. Plus, the ABS was pulled out sometime in the late 1990s.

The GH&H line actually hosted a passenger service, called the Texas Limited, in the first half of the 1990s. Five (or so) restored lightweight cars and an F7, with T&E crew supplied by Amtrak (who was also operating a Houston section of the Texas Eagle during that time frame). It had some modest success in its first few years of operation, but Union Pacific refused to consider maintaining the tracks to any standard above Class 2. A two-and-a-half hour trip to Galveston didn't have a whole lot of appeal when you can drive that distance on the Gulf Freeway in little over an hour, even in weekend rush traffic. In addition, Amtrak wanted so much rent to sublease part of that pitiful small-town bus depot known as the Houston Amtrak Station that you would have thought it appropriate for a major tenant at Grand Central Terminal. About 1993 or so the Texas Limited operators moved their Houston terminal to a former Katy freight depot in The Heights a few miles northwest of downtown...but that made the trip times even longer.

I still wonder what might have happened had this operation shifted to the Santa Fe alignment through Alvin, but to the best of my understanding this was never seriously considered as the major investors in this service were from League City and wanted an en route stop there. Unfortunately, there's not a great deal of pent-up demand for 25 mph passenger train service between The Heights and League City....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back