train to florida

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

raelin

hello: i'm so eager to travel to florida. can't fly anymore because of ARMD (pressure). enthusiastic about the train to fort myers, but i also have COPD. how is the ventilation in the roomettes? also, are there any emergency medical services on the train? i don't use oxygen, but it would be comforting to know there is some medical help available in case of a COPD flare-up. would love to hear from travelers with similar respiratory problems.

As on airliners, there may or may not be medical personnel aboard every train. But they do ask over the PA if necessary. (I have heard these requests made.) if it is determined the emergency is serious enough, Unlike planes that have to land at an airport several hundred miles away, a train can call ahead and meet a waiting EMS at any grade crossing!

There was such an emergency on our trip last month.

The car attendant paged the conductor to the car.

The conductor quickly walked thru the train asking if there was a doctor on-board. Amtrak itself doesn't have any medical employees.

At our very next station, there was an EMT team, and a stretcher, waiting on the platform.

I believe that Amtrak OBS employees receive some level of medical training. There are also some medical supplies on each train (at least a defibrillator, not sure about Oxygen).

If you are concerned, I would let your attendant know about your condition when you board. As mentioned above, it's also possible for personnel on the train to call 911 and be met at the most convenient road crossing.

I have interstitial lung disease and although it is not the same as COPD, breathing can be very difficult. The ventilation is probably the same in the rooms as it is in coach and hasn't caused me any additional breathing problems. Obviously, it's not the same as breathing in fresh air, but in my experience, it hasn't caused any more difficulties than I already have.

hello: i'm so eager to travel to florida. can't fly anymore because of ARMD (pressure). enthusiastic about the train to fort myers, but i also have COPD. how is the ventilation in the roomettes? also, are there any emergency medical services on the train? i don't use oxygen, but it would be comforting to know there is some medical help available in case of a COPD flare-up. would love to hear from travelers with similar respiratory problems.
Be aware that the train does not go direct to Ft. Myers, so you will be on an Amtrak bus for part of the trip. I am not sure if that is a problem for you, but it is something to keep in mind.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back