Train Radar

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pldenc44

Train Attendant
Whenever I pass a freight train on I-8 in Arizona/California in the middle of nowhere, my V1 radar detector lights up with K band all over the place. It appears that freight engines emit K band radar. Anyone know why? Do Amtrak engines have something similar?

Locomotives have doppler radar units to read ground speed vs wheel rim speed, its a very accurate way of wheelslip detection.

even the Genesis locomotived have it, its big cannister near fourth axle.

The Dopplers were removed on P32acdm's of MNCR since we had problems with snow during push/pull operations.

Glad someone asked that, the same thing has happened to me before and again recently which prompted the search that brought me here. great info to know, had no idea why the radar detector was going nuts either.

Whenever I pass a freight train on I-8 in Arizona/California in the middle of nowhere, my V1 radar detector lights up with K band all over the place. It appears that freight engines emit K band radar. Anyone know why? Do Amtrak engines have something similar?
My V1 radar detector also lights up when I pass Union Pacific Locomotives.

Hmm, sounds like a turnoff near a busy main line would be a great place for a smokey to lie in wait for speeders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back