Train Pooling

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Freak

Engineer
I recently had to quit working (medical reasons) at the age of 57. I was not financially prepared for this, therefore I'm constantly looking for something to occupy my time but at an economical cost. Last Sept. I traveled x-country by Rail & I'm HOOKED!!!!

Is there a group that shares train trips to save $, as I always think I'm traveling in a sleeper for two but I'm alone, wasting that extra bed, meals & enjoying this experience. So I'm just wondering, if I have 26k points to do the SDL loophole (SDL-LAX) & someone else has X amount of points, why not get together to do one awesome trip without wasting space, meals & EXPERIENCE!!!! ;)

But being someone who enjoys privacy, I understand why this could head to a disasterous trip!!!

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea, RF! I've got the points for the other half of your trip and would love to do something like this, but unfortunately, I'm both time- and economically-challenged right now. If things are looking up in a year's time (hopefully less!) and you still haven't found other traveling partners, remind me that this thread exists! :D

People are naturally more comfortable traveling with people they've met in person, so one of the keys to this may be to attend an AU gathering and get to know people personally. That is, of course, unless meeting them in person would scare them off!! :lol:

People are naturally more comfortable traveling with people they've met in person, so one of the keys to this may be to attend an AU gathering and get to know people personally. That is, of course, unless meeting them in person would scare them off!! :lol:
That's how I met both Whooz and saxman.

I first met p&sr on an Amtrak CZ detour. He answered a post I left in the Member Amtrak Trips topic, and more recently was gracious enough to serve as an extraordinary tour guide around San Francisco and around the Bay when saxman visited.

-Alice

(Note to p&sr: I've since been back on the F-line in lieu of trying to park at Aquatic Park Memorial Day weekend, driving in SF on a holiday being about the stupidist thing I've tried in a long time)

Back