Train house in Lamy, New Mexico

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Gingee_*

A little while ago we stopped at Lamy, New Mexico (on the train now) and someone there has made a house out of a train car. It has a deck on one end. Also at this stop, there is a train car that looks like a restaurant. On our other way we got out for a very short time but I saw people coming out with drinks.

A little while ago we stopped at Lamy, New Mexico (on the train now) and someone there has made a house out of a train car. It has a deck on one end. Also at this stop, there is a train car that looks like a restaurant. On our other way we got out for a very short time but I saw people coming out with drinks.
I saw the same thing, also I believe I saw a car that may have been a restaurant! Was on the SWC a couple of weeks back.Pretty cool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/464...57624031435731/

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember many years ago, there was a restaurant (maybe a chain) in California called Victoria Station. The restaurant were old dining cars! Johnny Cash had a album that nobody ever heard of, called "Destination Victoria Station" where one song was essentially a commercial for this restaurant. (It also has many railroad songs.)

Back in 1975 & 76, I took a summer course @ Cornell University & there was a train car restaurant in Ithaca, at which I never ate because of pocket change shortage!!!!

RF

I remember many years ago, there was a restaurant (maybe a chain) in California called Victoria Station. The restaurant were old dining cars! Johnny Cash had a album that nobody ever heard of, called "Destination Victoria Station" where one song was essentially a commercial for this restaurant. (It also has many railroad songs.)
Yeah, there was one in Bezerkeley. I ate there with my boss once, turned into one of those "let's take this outside" with the loudmouth diners at the next table. Other than that, nice experience!

I saw the same thing, also I believe I saw a car that may have been a restaurant! Was on the SWC a couple of weeks back.Pretty cool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/464...57624031435731/

RF
You saw it right. It's The Lamy Station Cafe. We've seen it three times now, and every time our SWC has stopped at the Lamy station, we've seen the chef coming or going into the cafe's door. He must be a one-man operation, because the pictures on the website show him serving as well. There always seem to be enough people milling around in and out to fill the thing up.

Since Lamy is where I catch the train, I have spent a lot of time there. I was surprised there was enough business to keep the restaurant open, nut it seems there is.

There is a small grassy area with trees just north of the station where the Harvey House use to sit. Between the station and the rail car home Gingee saw.

I think the house had the word "Hamilton" on the side. Not sure what that meant. Their name?

I went in the dining car restaurant a few months ago and had a nice piece of pie. They seemed to be doing a fair business among locals, mainly seniors. It seems to be the only business open in Lamy, other than the Amtrak ticket office. Yes, it looks as though at least one of those rail cars is lived in, east of the station, on a siding by the picnic grove, where the hotel used to stand. The dining car is just west of the station. The whole scene really looks like something out of another era of the West.

There was a Victoria Station in Shibuya in Tokyo. Would go there a couple times a year. The most affordable thing on the menu (20 years ago) was the $6 Sundae bar. Mmmmmm!

Here's MY picture of Lamy from about 5 years ago. Quiet, quiet, quiet place.

You saw it right. It's The Lamy Station Cafe. We've seen it three times now, and every time our SWC has stopped at the Lamy station, we've seen the chef coming or going into the cafe's door. He must be a one-man operation, because the pictures on the website show him serving as well. There always seem to be enough people milling around in and out to fill the thing up.
Holy cow! It's the same thing as an Amtrak Heritage Diner! Amtrak should buy it right now and put it into service!

Notice the table layout. Looks pretty similar to a CCC! :eek: Maybe that works for a stationary (excuse the pun) cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back