Train got in early, but we waited for dinner before leaving?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Our final destination was Denver which was scheduled to arrive by 8 PM. It gone early at 4PM. So we sat in our room and waited till 5:30 to have dinner, then left. I assume this is acceptable, since technically we are allowed to be in the train till the scheduled arrival time, no?

Our final destination was Denver which was scheduled to arrive by 8 PM. It gone early at 4PM. So we sat in our room and waited till 5:30 to have dinner, then left. I assume this is acceptable, since technically we are allowed to be in the train till the scheduled arrival time, no?
Yes,you paid for the trip which included dinner on the way to Denver!Since the train continues on,this perfectly OK!If you were supposed to get off @ a stop before Dinner was to be served,then youd have to get off the train as scheduled!The exceptions AFAIK are when the train is running extremely late,

then everyone is served an emergency meal which usually is the infamous beef stew of story and legend!(Is it made from leftover mystery meat?) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have dinner on the train in Chicago all the time before the train leaves. I like having dinner as the train pulls out of Union Station.

"It gone early"!!! Or did you mean to say It got there early? If it was that it got to Denver early, I never heard of an Amtrak train being early by even half that amount of time. <_<

Has anybody else been on or heard of an Amtrak train that was anywhere near 4 hours early?

"It gone early"!!! Or did you mean to say It got there early? If it was that it got to Denver early, I never heard of an Amtrak train being early by even half that amount of time. <_<

Has anybody else been on or heard of an Amtrak train that was anywhere near 4 hours early?
There were rumours of such from time to time,my 8/20 trip from AUS-TAY was 4 hours early but its only a 45 minute run!!! :lol:

The re-route through Wyoming can shave four hours off of the time between Salt Lake and Denver on the California Zephyr, and is still pretty darn scenic. I have to wonder if the the scenery on the 25mph crawl through the Rockies is really worth the extra time.

The re-route through Wyoming can shave four hours off of the time between Salt Lake and Denver on the California Zephyr, and is still pretty darn scenic. I have to wonder if the the scenery on the 25mph crawl through the Rockies is really worth the extra time.
Blasphemy!Bite your tongue!The traveler is shaking in his boots @ this heresy!Of course its worth the time,if you want deserts ride the SL and the SWC!

This would be like re-routing the EB on the old Pioneer or Desert Wind routes!Comparing the alternate route of the CZ is like comparing the best filet of beef in the world to the infamous flat iron pot roast served on certain diners on certain routes! :)

And who wants to be early to SLC,Denver just means you wait longer to leave for the East hanging out @ the station!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

There were rumours of such from time to time,my 8/20 trip from AUS-TAY was 4 hours early but its only a 45 minute run!!! :lol:
I guess I'm just a wealth of confusion today! (no s/a remarks) But... how can you be 4 hours early on a 45 minute run? Or in other words... how can you get to TAY 3hrs and 15 minutes before leaving AUS???
t2614.gif

You read these posts long enough,you see everything! I can't imagine anyone picking the UP through Wyoming over the D&RGW through Colorado.

"THROUGH the Rockies,not around them!!!"

IIRC, the northbound Coast Starlight arrived in Sacramento about 3 hours early when it was doing the Tehachapi Loop detour last year. It was in at around 9 p.m. instead of around midnight.

You read these posts long enough,you see everything! I can't imagine anyone picking the UP through Wyoming over the D&RGW through Colorado."THROUGH the Rockies,not around them!!!"
Ever thought that some people might want to do both routes?

As spectacular as the Rockies is, I wouldn't mind having a spin through Wyoming.

I guess I'm just a wealth of confusion today! (no s/a remarks) But... how can you be 4 hours early on a 45 minute run? Or in other words... how can you get to TAY 3hrs and 15 minutes before leaving AUS???
t2614.gif
Obviously, Einstein never heard of Amtrak.

t2614.gif
Obviously, Einstein never heard of Amtrak.
They must have had Dr. Emmett Brown as the engineer.

was an announcement made on board that sleeper pax detraining in denver were welcome to stay for dinner as they had paid for it? amtrak knows the cz will get in 4 hours early going through wyoming.

You read these posts long enough,you see everything! I can't imagine anyone picking the UP through Wyoming over the D&RGW through Colorado."THROUGH the Rockies,not around them!!!"
Ever thought that some people might want to do both routes?

As spectacular as the Rockies is, I wouldn't mind having a spin through Wyoming.
I've been on both, thru Wyoming dozens of times as a LSA / waiter, and only once thru the canyon, although only to Glenwood Springs on Amtrak. (It derailed in the canyon, right before Christmas in about (thinking........1987 or 1988......) I was bumbed, 'cause I wanted to take the Pioneer (woulda been new mileage for me) to PDX. Alas, 'Trak put us all up in a hotel, and then flew us to our destinations......

However, waiting for the DRG "Caboose Special" rescue train was fun. I can still hear the Engineer yelling "BIG HOLE" over the scanner as we thumped along the cross-ties. I was in the rear of the train, in the diner. (why was it at the rear, must have been two?)

Anyway, I'm NEVER gonna fly into Glenwood Canyon, 'cause a couple of days B4 X-mas in 1975, I was on a GreyLine bus leaving the canyon, and we hit a pickup truck head-on, killing the driver......

Guess the canyon no likey me. I never, ever, gonna fly there thou.........

Canyon is prettier, but Wyoming is nice too........

I used to fly from Hong Kong to San Francisco. I left Hong Kong at 1:00pm and arrived San Francisco at 9:30am on the same day!!

We had a 9 hour time change plus we crossed the International Date Line!!

But, it took me two days to fly back!!

All I can think of is the Bill Engvall line where he's at the airport line for lost luggage. "Sir has your flight landed yet?" "No peaches I'm having an out of body experience. I have to get back for the peanuts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back