Train 92

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter20

Train Attendant
My daughter & I have begun a weekly tradition - where if she has a good night (homework done, eats a good dinner, showers w little complaining etc.), we go for a walk down to our favorite Ice Cream Stand (Twisted Bliss) and look for the train 92 as it heads from Orlando to Winter Park. We have planned our first train excursion in June (once she gets out of school - to Washington DC for a half of week to do museums & such). So this is helping to build the excitement of first new adventure!

The Ice Cream Shop is right next to the tracks - so we get a great view of the train. Tonight - it was running about 30 mins late. I thought we should come home, but she really wanted to stay - so we did. We spent the next 20 mins telling jokes, playing guessing games, discussing the differences between concrete & cement (probably a little heavy for a 7 year old) & of course talking about the consist of a train, the differences between train 92 & 98 and whether the sleepers were in the front or the back.

So we hear the whistle & go up the sidewalk near the tracks. She begins to wave at the Engineer, who proceeds to honk the horn & then leans out & waves back to her. As we watch it go by; we notice the two engines, baggage car, two sleeper cars, dining car, lounge, 3 coaches and then what looked like a restored historic car - with the words Silver Foot (or Silver Wood - I am not sure it was starting to get dark). I tried to get my phone out quick enough to grab a picture of it - but was too slow.

What is the Silver Foot? Anyone know? Did I see something cool? Or something pretty common.

Thanks.

My daughter & I have begun a weekly tradition - where if she has a good night (homework done, eats a good dinner, showers w little complaining etc.), we go for a walk down to our favorite Ice Cream Stand (Twisted Bliss) and look for the train 92 as it heads from Orlando to Winter Park. We have planned our first train excursion in June (once she gets out of school - to Washington DC for a half of week to do museums & such). So this is helping to build the excitement of first new adventure!

The Ice Cream Shop is right next to the tracks - so we get a great view of the train. Tonight - it was running about 30 mins late. I thought we should come home, but she really wanted to stay - so we did. We spent the next 20 mins telling jokes, playing guessing games, discussing the differences between concrete & cement (probably a little heavy for a 7 year old) & of course talking about the consist of a train, the differences between train 92 & 98 and whether the sleepers were in the front or the back.

So we hear the whistle & go up the sidewalk near the tracks. She begins to wave at the Engineer, who proceeds to honk the horn & then leans out & waves back to her. As we watch it go by; we notice the two engines, baggage car, two sleeper cars, dining car, lounge, 3 coaches and then what looked like a restored historic car - with the words Silver Foot (or Silver Wood - I am not sure it was starting to get dark). I tried to get my phone out quick enough to grab a picture of it - but was too slow.

What is the Silver Foot? Anyone know? Did I see something cool? Or something pretty common.

Thanks.
It is a private car once operated by the Sierra Railroad and now is seen following several Amtrak trains--Meteor, Crescent, CONO in the past few months. Below is a link for a nice photo of the car.

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=71528

My guess is that you saw a private car - private varnish. I am sorry I missed it - I am walking distance away from the tracks where they cross Highland near Orange Ave - not too far from the ice cream shop.

I found this on the internet - no idea if it's true or not.

"Silver Foot is Owned by Chicago Medical Equipment Co, a maker of podiatrist supplies. Formerly the Great Western Tours "Redwood", and Union Pacific sleeper-lounge OGDEN. Most if its sisters became Star-series 11DBR cars in the early 1960's."

And yes - at 85 degrees, us Floridians are struggling with lingering spring temps. I wish it would hurry up & get warm soon!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the Silver Foot is a very awkward name for a Sleeper and it also needs some better maintainance than it's getting. At least from the photo, it looks like the paint is falling off, but that was taken in 2004.

As far as the railcar goes, it looks like a Modernized Heavyweight, not a Lightweight, and it is not even silver, no shadowlining, does not deserve the "Silver" prefix.

At least from the photo, it looks like the paint is falling off, but that was taken in 2004.
Here's a photo from September of last year: http://www.rrpicture...aspx?id=2745164.
My bad. I guess they repainted it. But it is still not silver, and still has "Silver Foot". Anybody know the original name? Did it have shadowlining before? Does the railcar have four- or six- wheel trucks.
According to a post on railroad.net [ http://railroad.net/...=30th&start=585 ] the car was originally UP 5 DBR-Buf-Lnge Ogden. # 92 set the car off at Jacksonville Wednesday evening 05/02. It carries the reporting marks PPCX 800279.

It very well could be headed someplace for National train day. I seen where several Private cars will be available for viewing in Chicago that day by the public. Thats not the only city that has stuff going on that day.

We get back into Chicago that saturday afternoon for a five hour layover and I told the wife I bet union station will be a madhouse filled with train fan's.

Silver Foot sound right to me.....what color is the wheel where it contacts the rail.....it's feet.

As I recall Silver Foot together with Amtrak's Ocean View was involved in a minor fender bender at Union Station Washington DC last year, which caused the Ocean View to miss one of its trips on the Cardinal.

It very well could be headed someplace for National train day. I seen where several Private cars will be available for viewing in Chicago that day by the public. Thats not the only city that has stuff going on that day.

We get back into Chicago that saturday afternoon for a five hour layover and I told the wife I bet union station will be a madhouse filled with train fan's.

Silver Foot sound right to me.....what color is the wheel where it contacts the rail.....it's feet.
There were PV's in PHL last year for NTD.

There were PV's in PHL last year for NTD.
There are several PV cars around the major citys this year also

Chicago

• Warren R. Henry
  • Evelyn Henry
  • City of Angels
  • Colorado Pine
  • The Silver Rail
  • Silver Chalet
  • Silver Lodge
  • Silver Shore
  • Silver Express
L.A.

L.A.

NRHS Central Coast Charter

Gordon Zimmerman

Royal Gorge

Overland Trail

Silver Splendor

Plaza Santa Fe

Silver Rapids

Silver Lariat

Silver Solarium

New York

• Hickory Creek
  • Tavern Lounge 43
  • Cannon Ball
  • Epicurus
  • Birkin
  • Kitchi Gammi Club
  • Ohio River
Philly

• Dover Harbor
  • J. Pinckney Henderson
  • Golden Tower
  • Hollywood Beach
All say subject to change....don't see Silver Foot on any list

Compare the Silver Foot with the stainless railcar beside it! It is more light grey then silver. This was a UP car and not silver in the first place. If the railcar was built in 1956, per the other forumm post, then why does it look like a Modernized Heavyweight?

Compare the Silver Foot with the stainless railcar beside it! It is more light grey then silver. This was a UP car and not silver in the first place. If the railcar was built in 1956, per the other forumm post, then why does it look like a Modernized Heavyweight?
IMO, it has that appearance (as a "modernized heavyweight") due to the addition of the open rear platform. I don't think it was constructed like that and the open platform was a modification. It is not uncommon for a lightweight car or some of the former WWII Army hospital cars to be rebuilt with an open platform, either for use as a PV or as railroad-owned office cars.

So I did see something cool!!
I would say that you did! There are also 2 PV's based in Orange Park, Fla. that show up on the Silvers on occasion, Georgia 300 & (IIRC) Southern 1. You might see these a couple of times a year, in addition to other PVs that appear periodically on the way to Miami.

[edit - corrected to read 'Southern 1' instead of 'Southern 9'

At least from the photo, it looks like the paint is falling off, but that was taken in 2004.
Here's a photo from September of last year: http://www.rrpicture...aspx?id=2745164.
My bad. I guess they repainted it. But it is still not silver, and still has "Silver Foot". Anybody know the original name? Did it have shadowlining before? Does the railcar have four- or six- wheel trucks.
That "peeling" look is really the reflection in the gloss paint of the track side boxes...

So I did see something cool!!
Yes you saw something cool but you are doing something even cooler.........nurturing a railfan. What's cool is having some quality father daughter time. My Dad did the same thing except it was Krispy Kreme doughnuts for us. My Dad is 93, time goes by fast, but I'll always have the memories and what has been a lifelong love of trains.

Tonight I sat waiting in Jesup for 98 to come in, and a man drove up just as the train was expected, and took a seat in the Jesup Rail fan gazebo. I joined him, and he said he is a retired state trooper, now owns a funeral home locally! He sometimes brings his 11 y/o daughter to see the train come through. There is training going on! CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back