Train 718 Crashes into an RV in Berkeley, CA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sodium

Train Attendant
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Train-slams-into-stalled-RV-in-Berkeley-driver-6869557.php

The driver of an RV was seriously injured in the aftermath of a collision with an Amtrak train in Berkeley Thursday evening, transportation officials said.

An Amtrak train struck a stalled RV on tracks in Berkeley Thursday evening, seriously injuring the RV’s driver, who officials said had already left the trailer but was hurt in the aftermath of the collision.

Train number 718, the San Joaquin, had 73 passengers on board when it struck the unoccupied vehicle, Amtrak officials said. No passengers or crew members reported injuries.

Union Pacific Railroad spokesman Francisco Castillo, Jr. said the driver of the RV, who was not identified, left the vehicle after it started stalling at the tracks on Bancroft Way in Berkeley.

The train collided with the RV about 6:10 p.m., while the impact pushed the trailer in the driver’s direction, Castillo said.

“When the Amtrak train collided with the RV, the vehicle spun and hit the driver,” he said.

The driver was taken to Highland Hospital in Oakland with serious injuries, Castillo said.

Another link

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2016/03/03/breaking-amtrak-train-hits-camper-in-west-berkeley/

2016030395182415.jpg

2016030395182302.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The statistical likelihood of a vehicle stalling right at the moment it was passing over tracks just as a train was arriving seems like it would be rather low. It seems more likely to me that this is a case of poor navigating or impaired driving resulting in the vehicle becoming physically stuck or perhaps an aborted suicide attempt. If the vehicle really did stall while crossing the tracks then it seems likely that it was so poorly maintained that it had stalled multiple times in the preceding hours/days and probably had no business being driven at all.

The comments in the second link Sodium provided make pretty clear this RV belongs to a homeless person. Wouldn't be surprised about poor maintenance. Glad the person got out.

I kind of recall in a situation like this you are supposed to run away from the tracks and toward the train, in order to avoid debris. I think the natural inclination by someone who didn't think about what direction debris would fly would be to run downstream.

The comments in the second link Sodium provided make pretty clear this RV belongs to a homeless person. Wouldn't be surprised about poor maintenance. Glad the person got out.

I kind of recall in a situation like this you are supposed to run away from the tracks and toward the train, in order to avoid debris. I think the natural inclination by someone who didn't think about what direction debris would fly would be to run downstream.
I've heard the same advice, and it makes sense to me. Remembering the advice in the heat of the moment -- who knows?

A FOAF-tale - a friend of a friend got stuck on the tracks in his ancient unreliable pickup when the car ahead braked for some reason, just as the gates were coming down. His car stalled on the tracks. Stalled, wouldn't start, wanted to move but couldn't He bailed out and ran up-line just as advised. He was OK, his crap vehicle was totalled, no big loss. Months later, the railroad billed his insurance for much more than the value of his pickup - for repainting the locomotive's bumper . Just a story. :)

NW cannonball. Your example that almost happened many years ago to a friend finally started this poster not trying to cross any RR until enough space beyond far last track. Just have to ignore the occasional horn honking and always love to see the same with their rear end fouling the track. Especially if the gate warning starts.

Run towards the train or perpendicular to the tracks. Never in the direction that the wreckage will go. Never let a vehicle or other obstruction be between you and the train. Remember what happened to the police officer in Ohio a few weeks ago. He was in front of a semi, trying to direct traffic, when the train hit the rear of the semi. Fortunately, he survived.

More and more, railroads are using the courts to go after motorists for damage to equipment, and the motorists are losing those cases.

Tom

More and more, railroads are using the courts to go after motorists for damage to equipment, and the motorists are losing those cases.
Well, it's not like these cases are unprotected private crossings with nothing but a stop sign (we have some of those on my local "salt mine" line), where the motorist might legtimately claim that they thought it was safe to cross.

If someone bothers to ignore the flashing lights and the clanging bells and drive around the lowered gates, *in addition* to the basic oversight of not looking both ways, it's pretty easy for the courts to assign liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back