Train 66 (2/9-10) Breakdown on Freezing Night

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What ended up happening with this train? Did a diesel come down from New Haven or up from Sunnyside to rescue it? Was the locomotive damaged or just the wires down? How did all the miscommunication occur? Just curious.

a thought. If the wires were down around the loco and motor and considered live how could engineer move to diesel to activate its HEP ? For whatever reason no verification wires were completely dead and we mean completely dead, Not likely but still ? ? ?

As our local power company says don't approach a downed wire. It may be live leave it to the experts.

Last edited by a moderator:
What ended up happening with this train? Did a diesel come down from New Haven or up from Sunnyside to rescue it? Was the locomotive damaged or just the wires down? How did all the miscommunication occur? Just curious.
According to WNBC the train finally made it to New Rochelle where all the pax were dumped off. Another train came along about 30 minutes later and continued the run. Many of the pax complained about crew keeping them in the dark regarding news; that is why I always pack my scanner with me.

Long time lurker and seldom poster here.

I was on this train and was interviewed by the TV and print media who met the train at South Station around 12:45PM. I guess it was my first experience with a media scrum. This experience capped off a pretty long journey for many on the train, who like I, were actually on flights to Boston that had been cancelled and who were taking this train to get the last part of the way home.

In my case, my connection from Atlanta was cancelled and the best the airline could do was get me to DC with a seat on a flight to Boston late Friday night via Minneapolis. So I took the flight to DCA and Metro'd over to Union Station, had a nice dinner while killing time and boarded #66 for the 10:10PM departure. The train was crowded and we picked up more pax at BWI who similarly were trying to get to Newark, New York, or Boston.

The train stopped and lost power shortly (~20 min or so) after leaving Penn Station. Up to that point it was pretty much on time. I was dozing off (it was 3AM!) and what I noticed was how quiet it was. It reminded me of times I was sleeping in an Army barracks listening to so many folks snoring. When the train was moving, those sounds were masked (mercifully) by the rail noise and the white noise of the HVAC blowers. To my recollection, it seems like the crew was pretty slow in making an initial announcement. I don't know if they were relying upon the fact that most of us were sleeping to guide their interaction with us. But it seems that the first announcement didn't come along until around 30 minutes after we were stopped. The announcement was something to the effect that a downed wire was preventing further movement. It was not clear to me whether our train snagged the catenary or whether a tree branch or a prior train had done so.

After that initial lag in communications, the crew seemed to make an announcement over the PA about every 20 minutes or so, but frankly the content provided was pretty worthless. After a while that got annoying. The announcements generally progressed from "we're looking in to it" to "not likely to get the wire restored/fixed" to "a diesel from New York is being sent" (probably from Sunnyside) to "it's here and it will take a while to 'strap on'" to "it's attached but we have to do 'safety checks'" to "everything checked out and we should be moving soon" to "we need to do safety checks" (again!), to finally, we "need permission from the dispatcher to get underway." Somewhere in the midst of that series of announcements was one that there was food and water available in the Cafe Car that was being given out to those who wanted to go back and get it.

I admit to some optimistic thinking I guess, but I kind of was assuming that once the diesel came along (and it did because the bump of the coupling jolted us enough to wake me again) that we would press on to Boston. It didn't really occur to any of us that we would have to detrain somewhere and get on a different one. And that in doing so we would stand out in the cold for half an hour. So when we stopped at New Rochelle I assumed it was just a station stop. So when the announcement came that we all had to detrain, the crew kind of botched that. They said we could leave our bags on (which makes no sense) but that we had to get off the train. Interestingly, one announcement threw Metro North under the bus, indicating that they would not allow the train to proceed any further and that's why we needed to disembark.

I can only speak for my experience in my car but to me, the train did not get terribly cold until about 5:30am or so. At first it was pretty warm and it gradually cooled. But it never got to the point of seeing my breath or causing me to shiver. After a while I used my coat as a pillow and then as a blanket. And by the time we began moving toward New Rochelle, the car was definitely chilly but my hands were not numb and my feet were not cold. I definitely think the crew had no idea at 3PM that rescue power (diesel) and movement would not occur until 7AM-ish.

By far the worst part of the experience was New Rochelle. I don't recall the track numbers but we were on the outermost track compared to the station. The announcement directing us to detrain said that the "rescue train" was right behind us. I think that was wishful thinking. Hindsight is 20/20 but at 7:15 AM when we detrained (give or take), it was quite windy and frigid (~15 degrees F). Frankly most folks were not prepared for this kind of weather and it was obnoxiously cold. So picture over 150 folks huddled on a platform while the train we were on sat there for 15 minutes or so, doors open. Finally the carcass of #66 pulled away toward Stamford and then nothing. A couple of Metro North commuters came an went eastbound on the adjacent track to the island platform we were on. I only saw one Amtrak uniformed personnel and he was trying to share info but it was clear he didn't have much. In retrospect, Amtrak and the crew should have instructed us to go inside the station building (assuming that one could, I'm not familiar with New Rochelle). Anyway, after standing around for another 15 minutes in the cold, listening to a helicopter buzz over us, the rescue train arrived. Needless to say, it was crowded before we got on and our load only made it more so. The joke being made was that folks were paying Amtrak prices for subway service.

As i said in the interview, I think the onboard crew was simply overwhelmed with the situation. I believe the spent a fair amount of time outside the train, trying to figure out whether the right of way was blocked and then trying to get the diesel hooked up and checked. It struck me that unlike the Tarmac Delay plans that 14 CFR Part 121 scheduled air carriers have to prepare, Amtrak didn't really seem to have a contingency plan for a train that dies in the middle of the night. It never seemed serious enough to dial 911 (like a derailment would) and I never felt endangered. So this incident was somewhere between gravely serious for which I assume Amtrak crews and police have contingency plans that get exercised periodically, and a minor annoyance that wouldn't be more than a customer service issue.

Tonight Amtrak did call me to offer a weirdly restrictive voucher, good for a year. The person did ask some questions and apologize. I would ride Amtrak again and the most noted issue about how foul restrooms get when power is out makes for good TV. My experience on this and other long train rides is that restrooms are always horrible by the end of the run and that is something Amtrak should fix.

The way i look at it, i still got home before I would have on my busted connection. When I got to South Station, I still had to take the Silver Line to Logan to go get my car, which was buried in snow in the economy lot by Terminal E. Lots of planes, trains, and shuttle busses for the 29 hour journey from yesterday morning to this afternoon.

-- Blue Skies

Wow. First, great reporter. Long time lurker as well but I ride Amtrak every single day- have for more than a decade- and have ridden some LD trains.

I admire that you sound very charitable towards Amtrak, but there's very little I see as acceptable- from response times (this isn't the Empire Builder losing all power in the middle of nowhere), to communication (although that sounds like the most typical part of this) to detraining you in the cold with no clear communication of what was going to happen next, to.... a restrictive voucher? I'd be demanding a refund plus a non-restrictive voucher plus a comp meal. I'd call customer relations and get some additional compensation.

You're a lurker so you're a train fan but.... the tarmac analogy is a good one. Amtrak didn't have a plan. Your busted air connection would have least have left you with warm buildings, access to food, overnight hotels if you chose, cleaner restrooms.. And other riders may next time choose to wait for another flight even if it's a day later. Amtrak talks about how the trains can run when the planes don't... and this particular train may be an exception but it's the one that gets covered.

I was on this train and was interviewed by the TV and print media who met the train at South Station around 12:45PM. I guess it was my first experience with a media scrum.... first announcement didn't come along until around 30 minutes after we were stopped.

By far the worst part of the experience was New Rochelle. I don't recall the track numbers but we were on the outermost track compared to the station. The announcement directing us to detrain said that the "rescue train" was right behind us. I think that was wishful thinking. Hindsight is 20/20 but at 7:15 AM when we detrained (give or take), it was quite windy and frigid (~15 degrees F). Frankly most folks were not prepared for this kind of weather and it was obnoxiously cold. So picture over 150 folks huddled on a platform while the train we were on sat there for 15 minutes or so, doors open. Finally the carcass of #66 pulled away toward Stamford and then nothing. So this incident was somewhere between gravely serious for which I assume Amtrak crews and police have contingency plans that get exercised periodically, and a minor annoyance that wouldn't be more than a customer service issue.

Tonight Amtrak did call me to offer a weirdly restrictive voucher, good for a year. The person did ask some questions and apologize. I would ride Amtrak again and the most noted issue about how foul restrooms get when power is out makes for good TV. My experience on this and other long train rides is that restrooms are always horrible by the end of the run and that is something Amtrak should fix.

The way i look at it, i still got home before I would have on my busted connection. When I got to South Station, I still had to take the Silver Line to Logan to go get my car, which was buried in snow in the economy lot by Terminal E. Lots of planes, trains, and shuttle busses for the 29 hour journey from yesterday morning to this afternoon.

-- Blue Skies

I was on this train and was interviewed by the TV and print media who met the train at South Station around 12:45PM. I guess it was my first experience with a media scrum. This experience capped off a pretty long journey for many on the train, who like I, were actually on flights to Boston that had been cancelled and who were taking this train to get the last part of the way home.

In my case, my connection from Atlanta was cancelled and the best the airline could do was get me to DC with a seat on a flight to Boston late Friday night via Minneapolis. So I took the flight to DCA and Metro'd over to Union Station, had a nice dinner while killing time and boarded #66 for the 10:10PM departure. The train was crowded and we picked up more pax at BWI who similarly were trying to get to Newark, New York, or Boston.

The train stopped and lost power shortly (~20 min or so) after leaving Penn Station. Up to that point it was pretty much on time. I was dozing off (it was 3AM!) and what I noticed was how quiet it was. It reminded me of times I was sleeping in an Army barracks listening to so many folks snoring. When the train was moving, those sounds were masked (mercifully) by the rail noise and the white noise of the HVAC blowers. To my recollection, it seems like the crew was pretty slow in making an initial announcement. I don't know if they were relying upon the fact that most of us were sleeping to guide their interaction with us. But it seems that the first announcement didn't come along until around 30 minutes after we were stopped. The announcement was something to the effect that a downed wire was preventing further movement. It was not clear to me whether our train snagged the catenary or whether a tree branch or a prior train had done so.

After that initial lag in communications, the crew seemed to make an announcement over the PA about every 20 minutes or so, but frankly the content provided was pretty worthless. After a while that got annoying. The announcements generally progressed from "we're looking in to it" to "not likely to get the wire restored/fixed" to "a diesel from New York is being sent" (probably from Sunnyside) to "it's here and it will take a while to 'strap on'" to "it's attached but we have to do 'safety checks'" to "everything checked out and we should be moving soon" to "we need to do safety checks" (again!), to finally, we "need permission from the dispatcher to get underway." Somewhere in the midst of that series of announcements was one that there was food and water available in the Cafe Car that was being given out to those who wanted to go back and get it.

I admit to some optimistic thinking I guess, but I kind of was assuming that once the diesel came along (and it did because the bump of the coupling jolted us enough to wake me again) that we would press on to Boston. It didn't really occur to any of us that we would have to detrain somewhere and get on a different one. And that in doing so we would stand out in the cold for half an hour. So when we stopped at New Rochelle I assumed it was just a station stop. So when the announcement came that we all had to detrain, the crew kind of botched that. They said we could leave our bags on (which makes no sense) but that we had to get off the train. Interestingly, one announcement threw Metro North under the bus, indicating that they would not allow the train to proceed any further and that's why we needed to disembark.

I can only speak for my experience in my car but to me, the train did not get terribly cold until about 5:30am or so. At first it was pretty warm and it gradually cooled. But it never got to the point of seeing my breath or causing me to shiver. After a while I used my coat as a pillow and then as a blanket. And by the time we began moving toward New Rochelle, the car was definitely chilly but my hands were not numb and my feet were not cold. I definitely think the crew had no idea at 3PM that rescue power (diesel) and movement would not occur until 7AM-ish.

By far the worst part of the experience was New Rochelle. I don't recall the track numbers but we were on the outermost track compared to the station. The announcement directing us to detrain said that the "rescue train" was right behind us. I think that was wishful thinking. Hindsight is 20/20 but at 7:15 AM when we detrained (give or take), it was quite windy and frigid (~15 degrees F). Frankly most folks were not prepared for this kind of weather and it was obnoxiously cold. So picture over 150 folks huddled on a platform while the train we were on sat there for 15 minutes or so, doors open. Finally the carcass of #66 pulled away toward Stamford and then nothing. A couple of Metro North commuters came an went eastbound on the adjacent track to the island platform we were on. I only saw one Amtrak uniformed personnel and he was trying to share info but it was clear he didn't have much. In retrospect, Amtrak and the crew should have instructed us to go inside the station building (assuming that one could, I'm not familiar with New Rochelle). Anyway, after standing around for another 15 minutes in the cold, listening to a helicopter buzz over us, the rescue train arrived. Needless to say, it was crowded before we got on and our load only made it more so. The joke being made was that folks were paying Amtrak prices for subway service.

As i said in the interview, I think the onboard crew was simply overwhelmed with the situation. I believe the spent a fair amount of time outside the train, trying to figure out whether the right of way was blocked and then trying to get the diesel hooked up and checked. It struck me that unlike the Tarmac Delay plans that 14 CFR Part 121 scheduled air carriers have to prepare, Amtrak didn't really seem to have a contingency plan for a train that dies in the middle of the night. It never seemed serious enough to dial 911 (like a derailment would) and I never felt endangered. So this incident was somewhere between gravely serious for which I assume Amtrak crews and police have contingency plans that get exercised periodically, and a minor annoyance that wouldn't be more than a customer service issue.

-- Blue Skies
When you began moving again around 7:30 a.m., did the power come back on inside the train (heat/HVAC) or did you just begin moving? This may have been explained and I missed it, but if the 'rescue' diesel lacked Head-end Power (a switcher, perhaps) that would explain why you had to change trains at New Rochelle.

I believe the power came on first, perhaps for 15 minutes or so before we got permission to move. That's when I recall the announcement about needing dispatcher approval to move. And of course by this point the sun had risen so we weren't literally in the dark any longer. The train was definitely warm enough by the time we got to New Rochelle to notice that the platform there wasn't.

Metro North tends to be protective of their territory and can and will prevent trains from heading on to their territory if they think it may breakdown with passengers onboard, especially during rush hour.

Also, announcements are not suppose to be made during the hours of 10pm-7am due to passengers trying to sleep. Though this rule typically does not apply to Regionals, this is one aspect that 67/66 uses long haul rules. So the crew was actually doing as they were suppose to. They should have walked through the train with any info, which I'm sure they were giving what info they had. I know the crew on that train, and I'm sure they did the best they could given the situation. Many times the crew is kept in the dark as well, so they may very well have been giving what little info they had.

As far as how long it took to rescue it, that was probably a crewing issued. Quite possibly there may have been no one qualified for that territory on-duty, and they would have to call a crew in, in they have to give at least two hours for them to show up. I still don't think it's an excuse. It should've been done quicker. Being stuck in New Rochelle there's no excuse for either, as far as being told your rescue train was right behind when it wasn't.

Worst thing you can do, is not communicate with people during a delay, be it weather, mechanical, etc. I tend to get teased, that I share too much info with my passengers during any sort of delay, etc, but figure it's better to over communicate than under, and until my chief pilot tells me to stop, I'll keep doing so. It seems Amtrak in general, doesn't do such a good job keeping it's passengers in the loop. Hopefully this will change!

I suspect one of the problems is that on the NEC there are only 3 or 4 employees on the whole train (engineer, conductor, LSA and possibly assistant conductor). The engineer and conductor(s) are dealing with the problem and the LSA cannot leave his cafe car.

Worst thing you can do, is not communicate with people during a delay, be it weather, mechanical, etc. I tend to get teased, that I share too much info with my passengers during any sort of delay, etc, but figure it's better to over communicate than under, and until my chief pilot tells me to stop, I'll keep doing so. It seems Amtrak in general, doesn't do such a good job keeping it's passengers in the loop. Hopefully this will change!

I agree with this up to a point and that is assuming you have some new information to share or that you are aware you don't have new info to share but haven't forgotten about the folks in the back. I also give credit to crews who give an estimated departure time, even if that gets busted, rather than those who say that they have no idea and won't guess. The best give a range of outcomes such as "well, if things go this way, we should be underway in an hour but if things go that way we might be facing a pretty lengthy delay." That let's pax feel a bit more in control of their destiny, allows them to advise loved ones (and work colleagues in my case) so that alternative arrangements could be made.

The announcements on #66 were definitely over the PA, were plenty audible if not loud, and kept waking me up without giving me the feeling that the crew had much to say. Again, I don't mean for this to sound overly critical of the crew during this phase because I believe they genuinely did not know what the ultimate outcome would be and probably weren't having much say in the mitigation plan. I mean, stuff happens and I get that.

I also believe some of the crew was spending much of the time outside the train (which was no fun I'm sure!), assessing conditions, working out the coupling and whatever safety checks need to be done, and so on. The only really unsound decision I saw, and I don't know who owns it, was the decision to detrain us in New Rochelle in frigid conditions. Hindsight being 20/20, our original #66 could have served as a fine waiting area out of the wind (and it had warmed back up by then with the electric heat and the sunlight) if the #66 train had been spotted such that the last couple of cars were at the (railroad) east end of the platform and the rescue train (#190 I think) had been spotted with its engine in the middle of the platform and its cars at the west end. Then once both trains had been positioned do the equivalent of a kindergarten walk from one to the other.

As one who travels a fair amount, mostly by air but also by rail when it makes sense, I've seen a fair amount of disrupted travel. (BOS to NYP and BOS to WIL/HAR makes more sense than flying to me, especially if a plane change is involved.) It's a numbers game and the more one travels the more chance for the slim odds of something going wrong catch up to you. Ironically, my wife reminded me that on a return trip from NYP for our anniversary last August our Acela train had a pantograph issue outside of Providence and we had to do the "change train" shuffle. I want to say that occurred around Aug 6th. In that one, we limped into Providence and they did march us up to the station although I believe we wound up getting back onto the same train ultimately and arrived a few hours late into BOS. On that one they were trying to figure out a solution where we might get on a MBTA train to Boston but ultimately we didn't. (Until she reminded me of that last night, I had completely forgotten that; I guess I repressed that particular memory. Wish I had remembered it yesterday because then I wouldn't have naively assumed that we would stay on #66 to Boston once power was restored via the rescue diesel.)

On a recent airline trip out of BOS I remember being surprised at a delay we had to take for de-icing. The plane had just landed and the temps were a bit above freezing and foggy. Even though i fly small aircraft it hadn't really occurred to me about a wing being a "cold sink" that could cause frost to occur on the wings. But the pilot walked through all that, and a busted APU that required an air start for the engines and ultimately we took off uneventfully although I think I missed my connecting flight. Like I said, stuff happens.

So yes, communication is a fine line. I would focus the messaging on periodically reassuring pax that their well-being, comfort, and care are foremost in the crews' minds; that the crew and the company understand that the pax' time is valuable, regrets the disruption, and is working diligently to get underway; and then, make sure any actions taken reinforce that messaging (or at least don't contradict it!). Where I think the pax' reactions were a bit over the top is I'm confident that no one expected an initial stoppage at 3PM to evolve into a 4+ hour delay. If the crew knew at the front end that it would play out into a pretty lengthy disruption I suspect their actions (and messaging) would have been different. But crews should also realize that little events can spiral into bigger events and be prepared for that contingency from the get-go, even if you don't have to exercise the bigger contingency plan.

-- Blue Skies

Edited to fix typos. Ugh!

I suspect one of the problems is that on the NEC there are only 3 or 4 employees on the whole train (engineer, conductor, LSA and possibly assistant conductor). The engineer and conductor(s) are dealing with the problem and the LSA cannot leave his cafe car.
I never was able to get a good sense of how much staff was on this train. I boarded in WAS, seems like there was a crew change in NYP (although I was half-asleep as best one can be with all the commotion of a major station stop). And when #66 pulled away from NRO toward Stamford, I think they left behind one pour soul (Assistant Conductor maybe) on the platform with all the pax but he was at one end of the platform and really not in a position to corral a bunch of us. (Do trains carry portable / handheld loudspeakers like planes do? That would have helped him communicate with a larger mass of people.) The overhead helicopter and the passing Metro North trains on the adjacent track that looked warm, empty and inviting, didn't help his cause either.

I have to wonder if Amtrak has a book full of "what-ifs" and contingencies but that their execution needs major improvement? I'm sure CNOC was intimately involved with this situation but perhaps the info and logistics are not adequately extended to the passengers. An important part, obviously.

All this conversation about CAT wires down should include a review of our limited knowledge of electricity. The additional procedures of live wire work is really outside the scope of this discussion. Instead let us concentrate on "dead" wire work.

1. Some of us have observed that whenever "dead" wire work is being accomplished by a wire gang the section worked on first is always grounded on both sides of the dead zone. That is so if unplanned reenergizing wire, a regenerating train entering dead zone, a leaking breaker or switch, inductive or capacitate type voltages, home or business back feeds to a dead wire by standby generators, windmills, solar, Batteries, etc.

2. Then flying conducting debris can cross from live wires to the dead zone. Or loose the loose dead wire might contact s live wire.

3. This applies to any electric outfit whether your power generator, transmission company, local power company, RR, light rail, subway, etc.

4. Only then can a wire gang work on wire and allow people in any vehicle to safely exit. Would expect Amtrak and MNRR among others to follow this procedure. Remember a live wire of only 100 volts on the ground can kill you. That is why you stay in a faux Faraday cage until told it is safe.

5. The only time you exit before clearance is when staying in is more dangerous much as the 188 passengers did.

6, EDIT from PVD thanks PVD

Also, stray voltages exist where people don't expect them, because the track may be serving as both the return path for A/C from the catenary, part of the DC power system in 3rd rail territory, or part of a signaling system. Even a train to train bridge evacuation involves "jumper cables" to minimize differences in potential.

7. Remember any loose wire such as Cable, Telephone, or their travelers can cross over to a live electric feed/

Also, stray voltages exist where people don't expect them, because the track may be serving as both the return path for A/C from the catenary, part of the DC power system in 3rd rail territory, or part of a signaling system. Even a train to train bridge evacuation involves "jumper cables" to minimize differences in potential.

Does anyone know what exactly happened? Was it a mechanical issue with the motor, or did the motor pull down wires thus making it difficult (based on the information in previous posts) to safely move the train? Did 66 have to wait until all the wires were accounted for, put back in order, and then the train could proceed? That would make sense. How much did the weather factor into the problem plus the middle of the night time frame? And again, why did the passengers have to detrain at New Rochelle?

whatever made wire come down, it damaged one of pantographs on electric engine, the rescue engine could not get to train due to hanging wire. once wire was cleared the P42 was coupled and after mandatory brake test train was pulled into New Rochelle. the pantograph damaged in wire fiasco was bend and Amtrak forces could not guarantee it to stay down and locked, so MN did not authorize further movement.

Hence waiting for next Amtrak move.

I'm no electrician but what I was describing was at NRO, after we resumed forward motion. I was suggesting spotting #66 as far (railroad) east as possible and using it to keep pax warm until the train behind us (#190 I think) arrived. The "train bridge" would be the platform itself with #66 pax detraining through the last car or two, walking on the platform and boarding on #190 through the front cars. The platform appeared long enough to accommodate the back end of #66 and the front end of #190 at the same time. In other words, keep the pax warm until #190 was well and truly there and in position to pick us up.

The electrical discussion certainly accounts (perhaps) for why it took hours to diagnose and fix the issue but I don't see it as relevant to what happened at NRO. By that point, we were well past the issue of downed wire I assume.

Good answer...now it all makes sense. This information should have been provided to the passengers so they would have known why they had to leave the train at New Rochelle. By not providing this info you end up with a bunch of upset passengers. A simple explanation (see above) would have done a lot to help the passengers understand what was going on. An Amtrak crewperson on that train, I honestly believe, knew what was going on and what was going to happen, why not share that information with the passengers? Very, very poor to leave your paying passengers "in the dark"! Just be honest...keep the passengers in the loop.

Ding ding ding. Scanners are essential equipment for Amtrak riders.

Passengers don't need a technical explanation, most would not understand it if it was offered. They need assurance that their safety is being looked after and that reasonable efforts are being made to deal with whatever situation is at hand. Updates at reasonable intervals or continued assurance that while there is nothing new to report, they are still "on the case" That is the formula for dealing with most non life threatening situations.

Back