Train 449 Meals for Boston Sleeping Car Passengers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me what meal arrangements AMTRAK sleeping car passengers can expect on Train 449, Lakeshore Limited, leaving Boston at 11:55 AM, with a cafe/lounge car?

What kind of a lunch is provided the sleeping car passengers out of the cafe/lounge car? Is it a sack containing a cold sandwich and a can of soda?

My understanding is that Train 49 out of NYP has a diner-lite car. The two trains are combined at Albany and hopefully depart at 7:05 PM, en route to Chicago. What kind of a dinner is provided for the sleeping car

passengers? Do they get to eat in the New York diner-lite car out of NYP with their dinner menu, or are they relegated to the sandwiches and sodas' from the cafe/lounge car? It has been my experience in the past

that the sleeping passengers out of New York are served their most adequate dinners' in the diner-lite car, and that the diner-lite car closes just before the train arrives at Albany.

We are making the trip in the Boston Viewliner sleeping car and would certainly like to know what to expect in this connection. Thanks.

Welcome!

I don't know for certain, but I would guess that for lunch, you would get a sandwich pack. When I was on the TE last month out of SAS and the PDX section of the EB out of SPK last October, neither of which have a dining car or crew, I received a cold breakfast pack.

When I was on the LSL last month, they were still serving dinner out of ALB - after the 2 trains are combined!

Can anyone tell me what meal arrangements AMTRAK sleeping car passengers can expect on Train 449, Lakeshore Limited, leaving Boston at 11:55 AM, with a cafe/lounge car?What kind of a lunch is provided the sleeping car passengers out of the cafe/lounge car? Is it a sack containing a cold sandwich and a can of soda?

My understanding is that Train 49 out of NYP has a diner-lite car. The two trains are combined at Albany and hopefully depart at 7:05 PM, en route to Chicago. What kind of a dinner is provided for the sleeping car

passengers? Do they get to eat in the New York diner-lite car out of NYP with their dinner menu, or are they relegated to the sandwiches and sodas' from the cafe/lounge car? It has been my experience in the past

that the sleeping passengers out of New York are served their most adequate dinners' in the diner-lite car, and that the diner-lite car closes just before the train arrives at Albany.

We are making the trip in the Boston Viewliner sleeping car and would certainly like to know what to expect in this connection. Thanks.
the real dinner does start until 5 pm out of nyp . I am pretty sure you get some thing out of lounge until you reach albany ny. You will get dinner out of Albany NY when the boston section link up with ny section. There is no way that folks that got on in ny will have a lounge car because it comes from boston. so if they want to eat out of lounge they have to wait until albany when the 2 sections are hook up.I am sure that dinner start at 5pm and it done by different seating times.

I hope I answer your questions . When you get on the train then you ask your sleeper car attendant to explain more.

Last edited:
TootToot,

Years ago before they took away the sleeper to Boston, one went to the cafe car and showed one's ticket stub to prove that you were in a sleeper. You were then permitted to pick something off the menu and get a free soda, coffee, or tea.

I expect that Amtrak has gone back to this practice, but it is also possible that they've decided on some type of pre-boxed meal. I haven't seen any reports yet regarding this.

Once you reach Albany, while the Diner-Lite car will shut down during the train combining moves, once everything is ready to go, you will be sent to the Diner-Lite car for dinner if you want it.

Can anyone tell me what meal arrangements AMTRAK sleeping car passengers can expect on Train 449, Lakeshore Limited, leaving Boston at 11:55 AM, with a cafe/lounge car?What kind of a lunch is provided the sleeping car passengers out of the cafe/lounge car? Is it a sack containing a cold sandwich and a can of soda?

According to the recent Globe article (Amtrak returns sleeper cars it appears to suggest there will be upgrades to the Diner-Lite car to full Diners. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone seen this change yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

According to the recent Globe article (Amtrak returns sleeper cars it appears to suggest there will be upgrades to the Diner-Lite car to full Diners. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone seen this change yet?
Mike,

That has indeed been talked about and some what promissed by Amtrak, however it has not happened yet and it's most likely at least 3 to 6 months, if not more, away from happening. In fact Amtrak just sent the one prototype Viewliner Dining car to Beech Grove, Amtrak's heavy repair facility to be fixed up, which will help with the current shortage of full dining cars.

I'm not sure if they'll wait for the Viewliner diner to get out of the shops before trying to restore full diners on the LSL, but it is a possibility.

Mike,

That has indeed been talked about and some what promissed by Amtrak, however it has not happened yet and it's most likely at least 3 to 6 months, if not more, away from happening. In fact Amtrak just sent the one prototype Viewliner Dining car to Beech Grove, Amtrak's heavy repair facility to be fixed up, which will help with the current shortage of full dining cars.

I'm not sure if they'll wait for the Viewliner diner to get out of the shops before trying to restore full diners on the LSL, but it is a possibility.
I would also assume the diner will continue to go to NYP, so that will not allow full meals to 449 passengers until Albany.

Mike,

I would also assume the diner will continue to go to NYP, so that will not allow full meals to 449 passengers until Albany.
But then there is the hope that they would keep the Diner-lite car in the consist and pull the cafe car out. That would then see the Diner-lite functioning as a cafe car CHI-ALB, then it would go to Boston and function in its dual role as a diner and a cafe for that part of the run.

Again, I haven't heard anything that suggests that this will happen, but it would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back