Trackside attractions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is one I noticed today while riding San Joaquin- at a rather nondescript place called Atwater near Merced, CA there is an "air museum" in rather dilapidated condition that can be seen from the train, and at its entrance is a freaking SR-71 Blackbird! I was shocked, and saddened at the sight, such a beautiful and rare airplane just lying there gathering dust in a terrible condition :(

Here is a Street View of the location, turn the Street View guy around and you will see tracks right behind.

One of the most memorable sights I have ever seen is the "Mothball Fleet" at Suisun Bay .... it gives me goose bumps every time I ride by on the Coast Starlight.

I like the crude "Banjo Lessons" sign hanging on the side of a shack in the swamps between Suisun and Martinez on the CS and the Capitol Corridor route.

There is one I noticed today while riding San Joaquin- at a rather nondescript place called Atwater near Merced, CA there is an "air museum" in rather dilapidated condition that can be seen from the train, and at its entrance is a freaking SR-71 Blackbird! I was shocked, and saddened at the sight, such a beautiful and rare airplane just lying there gathering dust in a terrible condition :(

Here is a Street View of the location, turn the Street View guy around and you will see tracks right behind.
What you saw is the Castle Air Museum, one of the largest outdoor air museums in the west. It is adjacent to the now closed Castle AFB. It apparently has over 50 aircraft on display there.

The mothball fleet is pretty amazing. The first time I saw it I asked the conductor what it was, and his reply "that's how we beat the Japanese" which started up an interesting conversation - my old man, god rest his soul, was a chief in WWII. Every time they tried to put eggs on his brim he would screw up just enough to keep the event from happening. He spent almost a year ferrying troops from Great Lakes to San Diego on the old Super Chief. Only when I got home and started looking into things did I find out there are eight of these fleets on the east coast and nine on the West. I can only imagine what they are worth with the price of scrap.

What you saw is the Castle Air Museum, one of the largest outdoor air museums in the west. It is adjacent to the now closed Castle AFB. It apparently has over 50 aircraft on display there.
I'm a little surprised to hear the "dilapidated" description of Castle Air Museum. Recent TripAdvisor and Yelp reviews of the museum say the grounds and aircraft are beautifully displayed and maintained. I think that rolling by at 79mph perhaps does not do it justice.

From a Yelp review, February 8:

This is an excellent museum that has done an astonishing job of collecting, refurbishing, and displaying one of the finest collections of military aircraft from the pre-Second World War era through to the late 20th Century. As great as the displays are, the volunteers bring this museum to life.
Yelp

From a TripAdvisor review, January 2:

The museum's collection has nearly sixty restored vintage military aircraft ranging from pre-WWII to the present on approximately twenty acres of beautifully-maintained grounds. In addition to the outdoor displays the museum is complemented by an indoor museum which houses a fascinating collection of wartime memorabilia including aircraft engines, military uniforms, historic photos, and personal military artifacts from the past century.
TripAdvisor

There is always the famed, "Trenton Makes The World Takes" sign on the Lower Trenton Bridge over the Delaware.

Trenton_Makes.jpg

Not much other than hot air is produced in Trenton these days, but back when things were made there, one might want to know what Trenton made that the world took? Well, up to about 1960 or so, two of the largest industries in Trenton were Youngs Rubber Corporation, and American Radiator and Standard Sanitary Corporation. Their principle products: Trojan brand condoms and toilets. Somehow, the bridge makes sense now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw many sites along our trip on the Crescent. Some inlcude:

-Ice skating in Manasis, VA

-Old Steel Mill in Birmingham, AL

-Army Deport with many tanks along the tracks - Spmewhere, GA

-Many old railroad cabooses, passenger cars, steam engines, etc. along the tracks at various locations.

-Run downed towns and cities

There was probably more but I can't remember.

If the LSL is very late in Erie, PA, you'll see it passes the GE Locomotive factory (of course next to the tracks). And in SDY, you pass by the GE plant, which was the original GE site. And just north of SDY going to MTR and Rutland, you pass the former ALCO factory (of steam locomotive fame).

The NYC skyline viewed from the Hell Gate Bridge on a clear day is unbeatable.

-Many old railroad cabooses, passenger cars, steam engines, etc. along the tracks at various locations.

I may be mistaken but I believe the Army Depot on the Crescent route is in Anniston, Alabama. I remember seeing all those Army vehicles when I rode the Crescent in 2009.

There is always the famed, "Trenton Makes The World Takes" sign on the Lower Trenton Bridge over the Delaware.

Trenton_Makes.jpg

Not much other than hot air is produced in Trenton these days, but back when things were made there, one might want to know what Trenton made that the world took? Well, up to about 1960 or so, two of the largest industries in Trenton were Youngs Rubber Corporation, and American Radiator and Standard Sanitary Corporation. Their principle products: Trojan brand condoms and toilets. Somehow, the bridge makes sense now.
I grew up in Trenton. We always said Trenton Eats What the World Excretes or Trenton Uses What the World Refuses.

I always enjoy the peeks I get at our Nation's Capitol when the train goes through there. Also cool to see are the Presidential helicopters in their hangar at Quantico.

There's almost too much to mention from the California Zephyr but I thought the Book Cliffs,and the approach to and departure from Moffat Tunnel, and Glenwwod Canyon were particularly spectacular.

I love the views of Mount Shasta as seen from the Empire Bulder.

The OP suggested things you couldn't see from the highway, which rules out a lot of the Southwest Chief (Route 66!) and even Empire Builder. Not that I would drive to those places! The inside of Vandenberg AFB from the Coast Starlight is a high point for me. I almost can't tear myself away from the window on that route!

While it shares Glenwood Canyon with I-70, there are many other spectacular canyons on the CZ route that have no highway thru them.....

I may be mistaken but I believe the Army Depot on the Crescent route is in Anniston, Alabama. I remember seeing all those Army vehicles when I rode the Crescent in 2009.
Jay Pea, you are correct. That is Anniston Army Depot, about 20 miles west of the AL/GA state line. It bills itself as the "Tank Rebuild Capital of the Free World."

benjibear: I think that's one of the more interesting sights in Birmingham. What you're seeing is Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark, which was the first Bessemer-process steel mill in the South. It's been partially restored as an attraction and as a concert venue. It's quite an experience to attend a concert there with the CSX main line right next to the performing area!

I have always enjoyed looking at the old heavy industry, bridges, row houses and such in northwest Indiana as well as on the Northeast Corridor in New Jersey just before coming into NYC.

Several faves have already been mentioned, so I'll go with the Scenery on the Northbound CS between Mt. Shasta (Sunup) and Portland! Really nice anytime of the year but Spectacular when the Snow is covering the Trees and the Mountains! Also Really like coming Down the Front Range into Denver on the East Bound CZ!!

I also like seeing the Old Buffalo Central Station (sadly Deteriorating Rapidly :( )before Depew on the Empire/Lake Shore/Maple Leaf Route while Rolling though the Rail Yards!

And Special Mention to Paisano Pass in West Texas (between Alpine and Marfa), Highest Spot on the Sunset Ltd. Route and Site of my First Home, a SP Section House that's Long Gone! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back