TQP question from new member

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New member dropping in to say hi.

Just booked a round trip Empire Builder to PDX, roomette 8 there roomette 6 back for the end of the month and had a question about TQPs.

With getting to Chicago and back home my trip cost was $1260. I signed up for the double points promotion, my return trip is 10/30

Will the trip starting on 10/30 but terminating on 11/1 qualify for the 2x points promotion and if so, how many TQP’s can I anticipate from this trip? I’m a p&t disabled veteran looking to gain status so I can spend 2024 on the rails stacking points for future trips. Planning a couple trips before end of the year to reach select plus status

Thank you everyone!

TQPs are not included in the double points promotion. You will only get 2x your spend in TQPs.
Double points are for the points you can use to spend on future travel.

You don’t need status to use points for travel. But with Status you can earn more points on your paid travel.

To build up points consider applying for the Amtrak Mastercard. There’s a fee one and a no fee one. I have both. I use the fee one for everyday purchases and pay it off monthly. I use the no fee one for things like car maintenance,

Last edited:
TQPs are not included in the double points promotion. You will only get 2x your spend in TQPs.
Double points are for the points you can use to spend on future travel.

You don’t need status to use points for travel. But with Status you can earn more points on your paid travel.

To build up points consider applying for the Amtrak Mastercard. There’s a fee one and a no fee one. I have both. I use the fee one for everyday purchases and pay it off monthly. I use the no fee one for things like car maintenance,
It should be mentioned that the fee Mastercard (at least) credits the holder with 1,000 TQP for every $5,000 spent. There used to be a 4,000 TQP limit on this, but I think now there is no limit, so it's theoretically possible to make Select Plus without spending anything on Amtrak travel.

It should be mentioned that the fee Mastercard (at least) credits the holder with 1,000 TQP for every $5,000 spent. There used to be a 4,000 TQP limit on this, but I think now there is no limit, so it's theoretically possible to make Select Plus without spending anything on Amtrak travel.

Correct. There is no limit.

Latest posts

Back