toilet paper quality

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get by with the Amtrak toilet paper and it won't kill you but bringing a spray can of Lysol along is benefical as it will help sanitize the bathroom. Lysol will kill 99.9% of all virus, e-coli and other dangerous germs. We use it on the toilet seat, around the shower and especially on the shower floor where if you don't use it, you can and will catch a case of athletes feet. You need to spray it and wait a couple of minutes for it to work. Then you should be safe. As for the beds; you can buy a safe, natural organic bedbug spray that will keep the vermin at bay.
Somehow, I knew before clicking what I was going to read here. :rolleyes:

It's not comfortable when you are forced to use toilet paper that feels just like newspaper.
Didn't Russians using Pravda gave rise to the expression, "The Truth hurts"?
Finally something I have experience on. My roommate and I had long arguments about which newspaper was better (since in 10 months in Moscow I was able to buy toilet paper twice). Neither of us liked Pravda or Izvestiia, the more popular papers. Steve preferred Sel'skaia zhizn' (Village Life), while I went out of my way to buy the military newspaper Krasnaia zvezda (Red Star), which always felt softer.

Mind you, Soviet toilet paper wasn't very good to begin with. It came in two varieties: a wax paper model that functioned well as writing paper, and a type that was so crudely manufactured from wood pulp that it was bumpy to the touch.

I don't really see why people complain about Amtrak's product.

You can get by with the Amtrak toilet paper and it won't kill you but bringing a spray can of Lysol along is benefical as it will help sanitize the bathroom. Lysol will kill 99.9% of all virus, e-coli and other dangerous germs. We use it on the toilet seat, around the shower and especially on the shower floor where if you don't use it, you can and will catch a case of athletes feet. You need to spray it and wait a couple of minutes for it to work. Then you should be safe. As for the beds; you can buy a safe, natural organic bedbug spray that will keep the vermin at bay.
Seeing as how it's necessary to constantly touch communal surfaces to steady yourself while walking through the train, shouldn't you also Lysol every seat, seatback, wall, window, handrail, table, counter, utensil and menu?

Seeing as how it's necessary to constantly touch communal surfaces to steady yourself while walking through the train, shouldn't you also Lysol every seat, seatback, wall, window, handrail, table, counter, utensil and menu?
Perfect...lets all walk around wearing latex gloves. :p I never really felt any area was that unsanitary, save for the public bathrooms.

Are we now supposed to be obsessive-compulsive when traveling on trains (or any other form of public transportations that might expose us to others' germs)? Or should we be more worried about being anal-retentive (which would, if you think about it, obviate the need for toilet paper)?

Perfect...lets all walk around wearing latex gloves. :p
And if somebody is allergic to latex, then what?
huh.gif

Say - why doesn't every one wear a full body rubber suit on trains?
huh.gif
It would eliminate the need for carry-on bags, because you could wear it day after day!
rolleyes.gif
You could also use the space for the rest rooms as more lower level seating - as they wont be necessary!
blink.gif
So Amtrak could carry more passengers per train and get more revenue also!
rolleyes.gif

Amtrak could also Contract for a Supply of Pampers and Adult Diapers (known as Briefs in the Trade! :lol: )thus Freeing up all that Space that Superliners waste on Bathrooms and Showers! May not Smell so good on the Train ,but the Revenue would go up! :eek:

I last took the SS LTD in 2010 and the Amtrak issued toilet paper was slick as it could be. Has it improved any since then?
Having just ridden the CS, the Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto, the Maple Leaf and the Acela, I can attest that there are differences.

The CS and Maple Leaf versions are merely cheap one-ply generic versions, adequate but of the type where you want to use more, not less, to be sure. (Similar to the stuff on the Pacific Surliners as well.)

The Canadian had soft, one-ply paper that obviously doesn't clog up its toilets; much nicer to use than the CS version, but of course you're paying more to ride the incredibly well-appointed Via Rail service. (BTW, the Canadian toilets are of the airplane-type and don't present any problems at high elevations.)

The Acela brand seemed to be closer to that of Via Rail rather than other Amtrak trains, But perhaps its paying passengers demand more for the pricier service?

I would like to suggest that we have an Amtrak Toilet Paper contest at Gathering V.

We could all bring our preferred paper and demonstrate it to Joe Boardman!!

the_traveler would be first to demonstrate!! The winner would be awarded a round trip

ticket from KIN to NYP via BOS, CHI, SEA, LAX, ELP, NOL, ATL, WAS, BAL, PHL & NYP.

That's true and thats why alcohol based hand santizer was developed. You touch the filthy germ infested surfaces that you reference and use hand cleaner after you order and before you eat dinner. My wife is a nurse and is extremely germ conscious. When we reach the hotel, the door knobs, remote controls, toilet levers, sink, faucets, telephone, wall switches, counter surfaces and the items that were mentioned on the train all get the treatment. She buys alcohol by the case and uses it on everything. With things like the MRSA virus going around you can't be too careful these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back