toddlers and car seats

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nicolr

Will I need to put my 3 year old in a car seat on a train from Eugene Oregon to Portland Oregon

Will I need to put my 3 year old in a car seat on a train from Eugene Oregon to Portland Oregon
No. You can take the car seat as free carry-on baggage. Just keep your toddler in sight and accompany the child if you cross between cars.

A long time ago I've taken my (then) 4yos on long trips - they loved it. Show the child the sights out the window if they get bored.

As a long-time atmrak-with-kids person - train is the way to go with younguns. I expect the child will remember the trip as an amazing adventure -- I know I did - my first train ride was back in the early 50s and I took my kids when they were 4 to the East Coast from MSP -- no problems.

Edit - let me add --

On the train - no pressure eardrum screaming hurt for the child, an advantage over flying.

3-4 year olds -- my daughter still remembers dining in the diner on the Capitol when some well-meaning 20- something at our breakfast table told her that "those are cattle cars on the other track" and my daughter afterwards said "Dad, I didn't want to say anything to offend, but those were auto racks - "

Daughter is now 20-something and still prefers train -

And my - then 3 year old son - totally loved having his own private Slumbercoach on the Cardinal --

Finally - traveling with a 3-4 year old kid is mostly not a problem - the kid will be able and willing to co-operate for the adventure. Take it from me - it's usually a real good trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
me_little_me said:
1343743192[/url]' post='383877']
deathcabforchristina said:
1343740498[/url]' post='383860']Bungee cords could work.
I can see it now. Train hits something and comes to sudden stop. Child in bungee-held seat in middle of car flung to front and hits passenger, then bounces back past original seat hitting passenger in rear. Continues until all passengers have been hit.

:giggle:
Does the child get extra AGR points for the extra milheage (s)he traveled?
laugh.gif

Bungee cords could work.
I can see it now. Train hits something and comes to sudden stop. Child in bungee-held seat in middle of car flung to front and hits passenger, then bounces back past original seat hitting passenger in rear. Continues until all passengers have been hit.

:giggle:
An amusing but unlikely scenario. Trains do not come to a sudden stop. The debris trail following any grade crossing incident

is evidence of this. If you are talking about a catastrophic event such as a complete derailment, they all bets are off for everyone,

car seat or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back