Today's SWC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregL

Service Attendant
I just noticed that today's SWC is already 3 hours late on a 3 1/2 hour trip to Ft. Madison. I looked and it left Chicago on time. Anyone know why? It's usually real dependable.

GregL

There was some sort of MAJOR crash involving EITHER Amtrak trains 5 or 6.

The BNSF Mendota Sub DS said that this crash DESTROYED the CTC plant at SOMONAUK IL

As far as I can tell this happened just west of Somonauk IL (which is west of Sandwich IL).

Whatever happened radio traffic indicated that passengers were REMOVED from Amtrak Train 5 (CZ WEST) and put on BUSSES according to the BNSF "Mainline DS" covering the BNSF Mendota Subdivision.

Train 3 the Southwest Chief was also CAUGHT behind this mess.

I have been listening to the BNSF recover from this incident on this relocated radio feed from northern IL (feed used to be on railroadradio dot net as the Sugar Grove IL) == :

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=1111

--- Daniel

I just noticed that today's SWC is already 3 hours late on a 3 1/2 hour trip to Ft. Madison. I looked and it left Chicago on time. Anyone know why? It's usually real dependable.GregL

There is a news report that the CZ #5 hit a vehicle in LaSalle County, Illinois this afternoon. Evidently the CZ #6 and the SWC were also held up? Any additional information?

There is a news report that the CZ #5 hit a vehicle in LaSalle County, Illinois this afternoon. Evidently the CZ #6 and the SWC were also held up? Any additional information?
This may be it, but very little info.

And a little more here.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was some sort of MAJOR crash involving EITHER Amtrak trains 5 or 6.The BNSF Mendota Sub DS said that this crash DESTROYED the CTC plant at SOMONAUK IL

As far as I can tell this happened just west of Somonauk IL (which is west of Sandwich IL).

Whatever happened radio traffic indicated that passengers were REMOVED from Amtrak Train 5 (CZ WEST) and put on BUSSES according to the BNSF "Mainline DS" covering the BNSF Mendota Subdivision.

I have been listening to the BNSF recover from this incident on this relocated radio feed from northern IL (feed used to be on railroadradio dot net as the Sugar Grove IL) == :

--- Daniel

I just noticed that today's SWC is already 3 hours late on a 3 1/2 hour trip to Ft. Madison. I looked and it left Chicago on time. Anyone know why? It's usually real dependable.GregL

There was indeed a crash of an Amtrak train "traveling from Chicago to California" (no word if CZ or Southwest Chief) and a car, killing the occupants of the car. The Chicago Sun Times report is at ==: http://tinyurl.com/kwq8qy

Amtrak Train 3 SWChief has just DEPARTED SOMONAUK IL as I write this at 805 PM PDT in California (1005PM Aurora IL TIme).

The BNSF Mainline DS just confimed that Amtrak Train 3 has cleared the switches at Somonauk IL.

Train 6 EAST CZ is still caught in this mess as I finish this message at 808 PM PDT OR 1008 PM CDT.

Train 5 is going to PICK UP ONE car from the Mendota IL Yard according to the BNSF Mendota DS at 1014 PM CDT IL time (814 PM PDT my time in California).

The BNSF Mendota DS is now saying something about Amtrak Train 5 somehow "TEARING UP some railroad TIES" at 1018 PM CDT 7-13-09.

I know that sounds very strange and incredible however that is the radio traffic I just heard.

This again is a very GOOD Radio Feed to listen to from Sugar Grove in northern IL.

This covers ALL of the BNSF IL Funnel area feeding into Chicago IL:

===========================================================

There was some sort of MAJOR crash involving EITHER Amtrak trains 5 or 6.The BNSF Mendota Sub DS said that this crash DESTROYED the CTC plant at SOMONAUK IL

--- Daniel

This may be it, but very little info.

And a little more here.
Well... last week it was a carload of 5 teenagers, this week it is a carload of 5 retirees...

My condeolences, once again, to the Engineer, the families of those killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back