To gathering Chicago to wash DC to Philadelphia by #30 and #94

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a question of whether I'd make train 30 transfer on time. Three of us making the connection were chased out first and ran to the Cap Lmt which was only one track over. We were moving as soon as the doors closed while we were all still in the vestibule.

I don't remember my SCA's name. He is new only 3 months on the job, trained in LA. He has always liked trains and considers this a dream job. So far so good, he'll get a good tip if he keeps it up.

Flex food is ok. It arrives hot, unlike on the Zephyr. I had chicken enchilada dinner and pancake breakfast. I don't think we get lunch. Besides being hot, it comes sealed with nutritional info.

This car has been refurbished. The lights at each end of the bed are touch controls. One of them has AC socket and the other has call button. The socket one has heater control and the call button one has ceiling light/night light control.

The most important change is the elongated toilet. Old superliners had those tiny round seats. Besides fitting my big ass better, it is an easier transfer.

The heating is the same as in the old cars, meaning I think the main purpose is passenger entertainment. The mattresses are much improved and the new blankets are warmer and lighter. The pillows are real instead of those flat things they used to put in pillowcases.

There was a question of whether I'd make train 30 transfer on time. Three of us making the connection were chased out first and ran to the Cap Lmt which was only one track over. We were moving as soon as the doors closed while we were all still in the vestibule.

I don't remember my SCA's name. He is new only 3 months on the job, trained in LA. He has always liked trains and considers this a dream job. So far so good, he'll get a good tip if he keeps it up.

Flex food is ok. It arrives hot, unlike on the Zephyr. I had chicken enchilada dinner and pancake breakfast. I don't think we get lunch. Besides being hot, it comes sealed with nutritional info.

This car has been refurbished. The lights at each end of the bed are touch controls. One of them has AC socket and the other has call button. The socket one has heater control and the call button one has ceiling light/night light control.

The most important change is the elongated toilet. Old superliners had those tiny round seats. Besides fitting my big ass better, it is an easier transfer.

The heating is the same as in the old cars, meaning I think the main purpose is passenger entertainment. The mattresses are much improved and the new blankets are warmer and lighter. The pillows are real instead of those flat things they used to put in pillowcases.
Were you offered the opportunity to be served in the Cafe car (or whatever they're calling it) on the CL, or was the only option delivery to your room?

Only option was delivery to my room. Several years ago I asked to be moved to cafe car. Only some stops can handle that, the longer ones. It was a long time before I could move back. The restroom in the Cafe car is often broken and in any case not accessible. The view of course is better that the H-room's little windows. Gregory let me know he'd be happy to get things from cafe car if I wanted between meal snacks.

When I want company I leave my door open. Pretty much everyone using downstairs restrooms pokes their head in and asks about the room or my wheelchair. One guy yesterday wanted to know how to get to the next car.

Someday I'd like to have dinner in the diner on a viewliner. On one of rwo VL trips the car was turned so my room faced the luggage car, and on one they were using the accessible table for supplies.

Someday I'd like to have dinner in the diner on a viewliner. On one of rwo VL trips the car was turned so my room faced the luggage car, and on one they were using the accessible table for supplies.
I'm surprised. I've been riding in the accessible bedroom on the Silvers several times a year over the past two, and I've never seen the H-rooms in all of the sleepers (even 2nd or 3rd when present) not facing the diner. I'd assumed that it was a requirement. Perhaps the previous trip was truncated, and the consist couldn't be turned?

I don't think I've seen the accessible table used for supplies, but I have seen it made inaccessible by cardboard trash cans. I can walk to the diner, but if I were in a chair, I would definitely ask the staff to move them.

Back