To Cardinal or not to Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks wayman. Actually, I was on the LSL last month but went to Boston and back. We liked it, it was our first single level equipment. However, I still think I prefer superliner.

Anyway, I think I will keep it simple for our trip TO NY, then divert some on our trip home.

I think taking the Capitol home makes a lot of sense. They are both beautiful trains. You might also consider, however, reversing them- that is, Capitol first, Lake Shore second. Thats because the most beautiful scenery on the Lake Shore run is going down the Hudson River, and you'll miss it in the dark eastbound.

I vote for LSL EB and Capital WB. Living the CZ line here in NE and having dreadfully late trains to contend with, I would be more comfortable with a 10pm departure than a 7:05pm departure. We would have never made the CL four weeks ago from the SWC. The held the LSL for us by 30 minutes. So Printman, somewhere in this thread did you ask to take a vote on how we are going to book your trip for you?!? :lol: Both of those trains have beautiful scenery, allthough I will admit, I'm spoiled since I have taken the CZ from DEN to GSC 3 times!

I am considering a hotel near Newark Penn Station
I know this doesn't have to do with Amtrak, but I'd seriously consider staying "in the city" (Manhattan). Yes it's more expensive, but staying in Newark you have to burn a couple hours every day just getting back and forth to Newark. It seems really close, but that PATH train from Newark to WTC really drags, especially when you're looking forward to your day in New York. Last summer I visited and spent most of the time staying in Manhattan, but one night in Newark since we were flying out of there, and I'd never stay in Newark again. It's just too far out of the way.
We stay at the Hilton directly across from the Newark station. We have gotten week-end rates as cheap as $89. There is an elevated walkway that goes directly to the station from the hotel. The hotel recently under went a multi-million dollar face lift. I can only remember taking PATH once or twice trying to get to the WTC or Chinatown. New Jersey Transit is quick and cheap and I never remember it taking more than 30 minutes to get from Penn Station to Newark. It's about a five minute walk from the platform to the hotel lobby.

I know this doesn't have to do with Amtrak, but I'd seriously consider staying "in the city" (Manhattan). Yes it's more expensive, but staying in Newark you have to burn a couple hours every day just getting back and forth to Newark. It seems really close, but that PATH train from Newark to WTC really drags, especially when you're looking forward to your day in New York. Last summer I visited and spent most of the time staying in Manhattan, but one night in Newark since we were flying out of there, and I'd never stay in Newark again. It's just too far out of the way.
We stay at the Hilton directly across from the Newark station. We have gotten week-end rates as cheap as $89. There is an elevated walkway that goes directly to the station from the hotel. The hotel recently under went a multi-million dollar face lift. I can only remember taking PATH once or twice trying to get to the WTC or Chinatown. New Jersey Transit is quick and cheap and I never remember it taking more than 30 minutes to get from Penn Station to Newark. It's about a five minute walk from the platform to the hotel lobby.
No it shouldn't ever take more than 30 minutes but it's often pretty close to 30. I think the big potential for bleeding time is getting from the hotel to the station, and back. If you stay right next to the station then that's not a concern and you basically just have a half hour each way to get to and from the city. This is manageable, but it's still an hour out of your day. The biggest risk is getting a Newark hotel on Hotwire or Priceline and not knowing where it is, and getting stuck far from the station with no good way to get there. If you know exactly where you're staying it's a different story if it's a good location.

I want to thank everyone for there input in this subject. As it turns out, the best days for us are leaving Lamy on a Thursday and then leaving New York the next Thursday. This precludes us from using the Cardinal on our return trip. While we would have the opportunity to use it going Eastbound, the layover time in Chicago is just too close for my comfort. As of now I plan for us to take the LSL.
Since we have never been on the NEC, I am thinking about for our return trip doing a Regional to WUS then Capitol Limited to Chicago.
I just realized that leaving Lamy on a Thursday and NYP on a Thursday actually precludes the Cardinal in both directions.

No it shouldn't ever take more than 30 minutes but it's often pretty close to 30. I think the big potential for bleeding time is getting from the hotel to the station, and back. If you stay right next to the station then that's not a concern and you basically just have a half hour each way to get to and from the city. This is manageable, but it's still an hour out of your day. The biggest risk is getting a Newark hotel on Hotwire or Priceline and not knowing where it is, and getting stuck far from the station with no good way to get there. If you know exactly where you're staying it's a different story if it's a good location.
I am looking at the Hampton Inn Riverwalk which runs a shuttle to Newark Penn. OTOL New Jersey Hotel Listings lists it as close to the Broad Street Station, but I am not sure what kind of walk that is.

Just looking at my return trip options. When I went through the multi city, the Carolinian popped up as a choice. Is there anything different about this train (besides accepting checked baggage) from a regional train? Would this train more likely have Amfleet II's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looking at my return trip options. When I went through the multi city, the Carolinian popped up as a choice. Is there anything different about this train (besides accespting checked baggage) from a regional train? Would this train more likely have Amfleet II's?
accespting ? :eek:

That's a new one on this GA. Boy! :p

I am looking at the Hampton Inn Riverwalk which runs a shuttle to Newark Penn. OTOL New Jersey Hotel Listings lists it as close to the Broad Street Station, but I am not sure what kind of walk that is.
I'm actually the person who sent Kevin the link to that hotel. The walk is almost a half mile and you'll have to walk on a bridge over the Passiac River. During the day I wouldn't have any qualms about this walk, assuming that you're up to the distance. Late at night I'd urge great caution, although the area is improving. Once at the Broad St. station though, you have access to NJT's Morris & Essex line, as well as the Newark Light Rail, which would get you to Newark's Penn Station.

As for the Hilton at Newark's Penn Station, it's a decent hotel but not outstanding IMHO. I've stayed there several times and I'd stay there again. The biggest problem though is that it's only cheap on the weekends usually. Most week nights you can't touch it for less than $200 per night and I've seen rooms go for $300.

Ps. Remember that the Carolinian gets a very early start in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you stay the night in Chicago go to METRA's website. If you can find it they have a "summer fun pack" type thing. I got one. Gobs of great info and coupons!! Include walking toure from Union Station and list of bus routes to use to get to attractions from Union. It is really great and you should get it if you stay the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back