Tissue Paper question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - there wasn't any Amtrak in those days. Each railroad had passenger and freight on its own tracks.
Actually, my very first Amtrak trip--the CS from SLO to SEA--was on-board an old Superliner I car that had large restrooms with separate stalls, urinals, and sink areas. The toilet opened down to the tracks, and I remember flushing and watching the tracks roll by.

This was probably in 1992 or so.

A newer car (either a refurbished SL I or an SL II) was the next car in the train and had the newer-style white plastic-covered restrooms with the airline-style holding tanks, so apparently Amtrak had begun to replace them at that time but hadn't fully phased out the open-to-the-track style.

Wikipedia has an article on passenger train toilets. There are even technical (more or less) names for each kind: hopper toilet, chemical retention tank, and composting toilet.

There's even a small photo gallery of passenger train toilets from around the world.

I remember riding on the SWC #4 from SNB to CHI in 1995 in an old Santa Fe Hi-Level car with a hopper toilet. I believe the act of flushing opened the hole in the bottom of the latrine (or is it head?) allowing you to even see daylight if you cared to look.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the requirement, either from Amtrak or from local juridsdictions, that cars have retention tanks (or at least that they no longer have hopper toilets) resulted in the withdrawal or some other potentially serviceable Heritage cars from service?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the requirement, either from Amtrak or from local juridsdictions, that cars have retention tanks (or at least that they no longer have hopper toilets) resulted in the withdrawal or some other potentially serviceable Heritage cars from service?
I believe it has. I'm not sure if it's federal law, but the use of retention toilets became a requirement after an Amtrak train passed over a bridge with fishermen under it - and the fishermen received "the results"! :eek:

I believe it has. I'm not sure if it's federal law, but the use of retention toilets became a requirement after an Amtrak train passed over a bridge with fishermen under it - and the fishermen received "the results"! :eek:
Your correct! Here is a NY Times article that covered the incident:

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/02/us/amtra...ver-wastes.html

Every recess the school girls would go into the restrooms, put on lipstick, and kiss the mirrors. Finally a teacher took the girls into the restrooms to show them how much work it is for the janitor to clean it. The janitor then dipped his mop into the toilet, and cleaned the mirror with it. Problem Solved!! No more kissing the mirrors.

It seems that this thread is favoring one bodily function involving toilet paper while ignoring anothers. With that said, I just came across something that had tears coming to my eyes while reading it. It's the funniest thing I've read in a long time except for when the Traveler stated that he was giving up train travel! Here it is... enjoy!

TOP 20 WAYS TO ANNOY A PUBLIC RESTROOM STALLMATE:

1.Stick your open palm under the stall wall and ask your neighbor, “May I borrow a highlighter?”

2.Say, “Uh oh, I knew I shouldn’t have put my lips on that.”

3.Cheer and clap loudly every time somebody breaks the silence with a bodily function noise.

4.Say, "Damn, this water's cold!"

5.Drop a marble and say, "Oh s***, my glass eye!!"

6. Say, "Hmm, I've never seen that color before,. . ."

7.Grunt and strain real loud for 30 seconds and then drop a cantelope into the toilet bowl from a height of 6 feet. Sigh relaxingly.

8.Say, “Now, how did that get there?”

9.Say, "Humus. Reminds me of humus."

10.Fill up a large flask with Mountain Dew. Squirt it erratically under the stall walls of your neighbors while yelling, “Whoa! Easy boy!”

11.Say, "Interesting,. . . more floaters than sinkers."

12.Using a small squeeze tube, spread peanut butter on a wad of toilet paper and drop the wad under the stall wall of your neighbor. Then say, “Whoops, could you kick that back over here please?”

13.Say, "C'mon Mr. Happy!! Don't fall asleep on me!!"

14.Fill a balloon with creamed corn. Rush into the stall with your hand over your mouth and let out a lengthy vomit impression while you squeeze theballoon and splatter cream corn all about. Apologize profusely and blame it on the fettucine alfredo you had for breakfast.

15.Say, "Boy, that sure looks like a maggot!!"

16.Say, “Damn, I knew that drain hole was a little too small. Now what am I gonna do?”

17.Play a well known drum cadence over and over again on your butt cheeks.

18.Before you unroll toilet paper, conspicuously lay down your, “Cross-Dressers Anonymous” newsletter on the floor visible to the adjacent stall.

19.Lower a small mirror underneath the stall wall, adjust it so you can see your neighbor and say, “Peek-a-boo!”

20.Drop a D-cup bra on the floor under the stall wall and sing “Born Free”.

Sorry if this is just a wee-wee bit off topic, but I don't think you'll give a toot if you got tears in your eyes by now! :lol:

19.Lower a small mirror underneath the stall wall, adjust it so you can see your neighbor and say, "Peek-a-boo!"
Didn't a Senator get in trouble for that? I know, it was the wide-stance, not a mirror, but.......

Anyway, this thread is approaching the line at which poor taste may become offending (not for me as I love dirty / poor taste jokes). But I fear some probably feel this line has been crossed (or pole-vaulted over) and as this is a 'clean' family friendly site about trains (oh yeah, I almost forgot), I suggest we keep it clean and avoid potty humor. I know it is difficult to avoid on a 160+ post thread about TP, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back