Tips on a mid-November trip on the Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scrapperkelley

I have some questions that I hope y'all can give me some good advice. I am going on the Empire Builder from CHI to SEA in mid November, round trip. I haven't ridden the Empire Builder before, but I have been on the SWC and CZ. Are there any differences between the 3? I will be in an upstairs roomette. Will it be cold or hot on the train, esp. the sleeping cars? Best way to dress? When I take the "kindergarten walk" from the Metro lounge to the train, will my sleeper car be farthest away, like it has been in the past on the SWC and CZ? Is the dining car the same and do they take reservations for lunch and dinner for sleeper passengers? What about Seattle in mid-November...what is the weather like, what sights to see, as well as what areas to avoid? Any tips or advice would be very appreciated...this is a bucket list trip for me, so thanks in advance for any comments!

Kelley

I'll do my best to address as many as I can. Breaking up the quote isn't working right for me, so I'll bullet-point them instead.

• Differences between the EB and the CZ/SWC: Not much. There's a wine and cheese tasting the second day on the Builder, and there's a bit more "enhanced" offerings, though mainly things like full toiletries and real-ish china vs. plastic plates and just shampoo/soap.
  • Cold or hot...ideally it'll be well-regulated. Hopefully the train will run a bit cool, but I'd be prepared for anything from a warm to a chilly sleeper...that is, make sure to have some sort of t-shirt and jeans/shorts as well as a sweater and longer pants.
  • Since you're going to Seattle, you'll be in the sleepers near the front of the train, which happens to be the farthest walk. You'll notice some sleeper passengers getting on the back cars...that part splits off in Spokane, WA and heads to Portland.
  • The dining car will take reservations for dinner. I'm not sure about lunch...most lunches I've traveled with as coach have not used reservations, whereas dinner will.
  • Can't speak for the weather in Seattle or sights to see, since I've never been there myself. I'll leave that to other posters.
Enjoy your trip on what I consider to be my "home" train! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seattle weather in November -- cool to chilly, and damp.

Places to visit -- see this discussion. And check the various museum and ferry and dining references on that thread. Also, for dining, check the listings at the Stranger

Places to avoid -- maybe parts of Belltown after dark? Some parts of South or West Seattle? Really not many areas to avoid.

If you will be in Seattle more than a day, get an ORCA card for public transit at the Westlake tunnel station or elsewhere - the local transit is good, the card makes it easy - much better than parking, and gets you from Everett to Sammamish to Tacoma easily.

Otherwise, for riding the Builder, Jebr's post is correct. I've visited Seattle on the EB several times in the last few years. Roomette and coach. Loved it.

Pack light, use the layering method, have a water-resistant outer garment.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully you have an AGR membership. If not, get one - and make sure you register for the Double Days (double points) promotion - now extended to Nov. 22 - at AGR's website.

The wife and I will be on the EB Nov. 11th, on our way to Portland. If we discover anything of use for you, I'll post it.

Have a great trip.

Weather in Seattle tends to be cold, wet and often windy in November. Bring a raincoat with a hood. An umbrella will just turn inside out on you if you try to use one in the downtown wind tunnels created by the wind coming off Elliott Bay and blowing through the east/west streets.

No reservations needed for lunch.

You will likely see a good amount of snow in the Rockies and Cascades this year (although on the way out most of the time the traverse is during the night). On the way back east the trip thru Glacier National Park is a real gem.

I travel many AMtrak LD trains and find each has its own plusses and minuses. But overall the EB is a very enjoyable and relaxing experience!

It's the slower time of the year, so service, both in your car and in the dining car should be excellent.

Weather in Seattle tends to be cold, wet and often windy in November. Bring a raincoat with a hood. An umbrella will just turn inside out on you if you try to use one in the downtown wind tunnels created by the wind coming off Elliott Bay and blowing through the east/west streets.
True -- except that above freezing isn't "cold" -- just "chilly" (me from Minnesota - yah?) And near the Puget Sound never gets below freezing - yah?

Umbrella can help when wind not so strong.

So many places to visit that are warm and inviting.

Now reading all this I want visit Seattle again Nov or Dec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back