Tips for upcoming SWC trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm going to be taking a trip next week from Ann Arbor to San Diego, taking the Wolverine to CHI, Southwest Chief to LAX, and finally the Surfliner to SAN I've done a couple overnight trips before - once on the CL and once on the LSL - though have never done two nights. At this point, I think I'm going to be riding in coach, barring the possibility of an on-board upgrade to a roomette (the price was pretty prohibitive when I purchased - particularly since I'm going alone - though I'd be willing to pay low bucket for it). I doubt I'll be able to get one, though, given that I'm traveling during a fairly busy period (I noticed that the coach fare was already almost twice what I paid in September).

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) Does anyone have any overnight coach survival tips? I did ride in coach for my trip on the Capitol Limited, so I have done it before - though it was a bit tough to sleep. However, in all honesty I still had trouble sleeping in the roomette on the LSL for the return trip. Is there anything in particular that I should remember to bring?

2) Is there any sights/other things that I should look out for on the Southwest Chief? I actually rode the portion from the Iowa/Illinois border to CHI before inbound, so I'm familiar with the sightseeing lounge (I spent quite a bit of time in there) and other aspects of the train itself (though I didn't eat in the dining car since it was a short trip - I just got food in the CHI station.

3) Are there any particular areas where long layovers occur, or where the train is frequently delayed? I recall hearing about a somewhat long break in Albuquerque...

I'm definitely looking forward to the trip - I've been itching to go on an overnight trip since my first experience with the LSL and CL over Labor Day.

We're taking a similar trip on Friday. We're catching the Blue Water out of Kalamazoo and then connecting to the SWC in Chicago. :) We're stopping at ABQ, though.

You can see a ton of pictures from my trip last August on my Facebook. It will probably be dark for most of this trip, though, since we're so close to the Solstice. I'm excited to see all the Christmas lights. The Raton Pass and the approach to it is simply gorgeous.

Kansas City, MO has a nice, 20-30 minute stop. Then we stop for about 15 minutes in La Junta, CO and Raton, NM. Albuquerque has a 45-60 minute layover, which gives you time to walk around and explore a bit. The stops are timed really well. I never felt like I was jonesing to get off and get some fresh air.

I have trouble sleeping in Coach since I prefer to sleep on my side, but it's manageable if you bring a pillow, a sleeping mask, and some earplugs. I also bring a blanket since I hate sleeping without one.

The stop at Raton is usally very brief, although i think it is a smoke stop. The trip over raton Pass is quite a highlight and the scenery apparoaching Lamy is like something out of the old west, as well as the Lamy Station stop. There is a smoke stop at Flagstaff for several minutes, but DO NOT wander off. I have scampered into the station at KC and there is more leisurely time at ABQ.

I have only rode the SWC from Raton to L.A.

I enjoy the long stop in Albuquerque, I get out and walk around. They do have some vendors selling jewelry and trinkets outside of the station. The station also has a food counter in it but as discussed on another thread awhile back, the service is fairly slow. I did not have a problem because I got out of the train and was one of the first in line. If you only are purchasing drinks from the counter you don't have to wait in line. The hamburger is not very good at the counter.

I hesitate to post this, not sure if it is still there but...if you walk to the street in front of the station and turn right, walk down to the city's bus building, there was an espresso shop in there(I was addicted to iced coffees for awhile). Even if it's not there it's a nice walk and only about a half block away. I hustle though, get what I want and then go back to the station or get back on the train.

Flagstaff if a fairly short stop with people all over the place, I smoke and it is really hard to get out of the way of people trying to board the train.

Always take a sweater to the observation car, it's freezing in there!

I prefer the isle seats, you really cannot lean on anything with your head but, in the middle of the night when my body starts screaming it wants to lay flat, I go down to the restroom. I usually do it 4 or 5 times during the night, the isle seat I don't have to bug anyone about moving.

I love going in to L.A. I have the early breakfast, get my coffee, go back to my seat and sit back and look out the window, you start seeing palm trees! :)

Have a wonderful trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back