Tips for dealing with LSAs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to rain on the parade, but I just checked the CURRENT Service Standards Manual (aka Blue Book) and this page is NOT in it, so the policy has been changed significantly! Current policy is that bedroom occupants are entitled to 3 meals per meal period, if there are 3 ticketed occupants. Any additional occupants are essentially coach passengers...
I suggest you go back and research a little better. Specifically, I recommend reading pages 8-69 thru 8-72 of the Blue Book. Pay extra close attention to the final bullet on page 8-72, section 8.

From there move on to page 8-184, section g), bullet #1.

It really, really gets extremely irritating that so many Amtrak employees, OBS and apparently even CS don't know Amtrak Policy.
Management off the top rope! :D

I was going to give the guy/gal a little bit of rope to hang themselves with, but that works too. :)

I don't work in an Amtrak dining car -- but in my job I toil at least as hard as these LSAs. Nobody bows and scrapes and pleads with me to pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top meet the minimum performance standards of my industry. In fact, my co-workers and I go well beyond what's required to make our customers happy.

Here's a radical idea: Screen LSA candidates during the hiring process, put them through a rigorous training period, then subject them to annual reviews that determine whether they are providing pleasant, professional and courteous services to paying customers. Terminate those who aren't.

Do these stories ever get told during congressional hearings about Amtrak funding?

I don't work in an Amtrak dining car -- but in my job I toil at least as hard as these LSAs. Nobody bows and scrapes and pleads with me to pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top meet the minimum performance standards of my industry. In fact, my co-workers and I go well beyond what's required to make our customers happy.

Here's a radical idea: Screen LSA candidates during the hiring process, put them through a rigorous training period, then subject them to annual reviews that determine whether they are providing pleasant, professional and courteous services to paying customers. Terminate those who aren't.

Do these stories ever get told during congressional hearings about Amtrak funding?

I concur again.

I find a solid karate chop to the carotid artery a good way to deal with LSAs

I concur.
That is certainly one way to get attention.......a bit childish, but sure to get you noticed & insure poor service!
Au contraire, the LSA will will promptly and with much personal attention give you a voucher good for 30 days at the nearest GrayBar Hotel. He'll even arrange for a limo to pick you up. And, he'll do it with a big smile, too. :lol:

I wanted to report what happened in the diner on our trip. We had no issues with the conductors or attendants allowing 4 adults to occupy a bedroom. Our sleeping car attendant informed us we could go get lunch when we boarded in FTW, even though it was after 2PM, but we had already eaten. We received dinner on the way to SAS without issue for all 4 passengers. Very excellent service, the only time I have never had to ask for a water/tea refill.

On the way back, we got into the diner for breakfast around 7:30AM. They asked if we were sleeper or coach, then asked which room. We all said bedroom E and they told us only 3 were allowed meals. I stated that we were told when we booked that all sleeper passenger meals are included and we received them on the previous trip. They said no again, we did not push the issue. The service was ok, we paid for one meal at each setting. I talked to the sleeper car attendant about it, he said they did that to a family on the way down and he didn't understand why they refused to include the 4th meal.

I called customer service today and told them what happened and said I was not seeking compensation, I just wanted to report the inconsistency and being denied a service we paid for. She apologized on Amtrak's behalf and said they would notify the crew's manager to correct the problem. I then asked if the issue comes up again, is there anyone on-board I should speak to. She said to notify the conductor and they should be able to inform the LSA of the correct policy.

Sounds just about right.

I'd have asked for compensation, though. Money talks, and having it walk out the door due to customer service issues should help get things fixed.

I would have asked for compensation of the meals that you had to buy, but I am glad to hear that the issue was resolved to your satisfaction.

I would have asked for compensation if I lived near a staffed station, but a $18.50 voucher isn't going to do me much good. Didn't think about it helping to fix the problem, probably couldn't hurt it.

After carefully reading this whole topic again, I am going to go with the most basic and American response to the topic heading:

"I find a solid karate chop to the carotid artery a good way to deal with LSAs"

I would have asked for compensation if I lived near a staffed station, but a $18.50 voucher isn't going to do me much good. Didn't think about it helping to fix the problem, probably couldn't hurt it.
Amtrak is moving to an eVoucher system instead of the old voucher printed on Amtrak ticket stock that required you to present it at a station. Currently refunds are being done as eVouchers where you just get an email with a number that ties things to you. This voucher can be used in person or by phone to purchase tickets.

I haven't heard that Amtrak is officially doing compensation vouchers as eVouchers as the norm yet, but I do believe that those who don't live near a station are now at least able to ask for an eVoucher at present.

Am currently on the CZ in a roomette with my 2 young daughters. Yesterday for lunch and dinner was given 3 meals. When we went to breakfast this morning was informed quite rudely that we are only allowed 2 meals. I just ordered for my daughters since I don't eat breakfast anyways, I guess we will see what happens at lunch.

Am currently on the CZ in a roomette with my 2 young daughters. Yesterday for lunch and dinner was given 3 meals. When we went to breakfast this morning was informed quite rudely that we are only allowed 2 meals. I just ordered for my daughters since I don't eat breakfast anyways, I guess we will see what happens at lunch.
IF all three of you are ticketed in the Roomette, then you ARE INDEED entitled to meals in the Diner. No matter WHAT the Lead LSA says.

Pull this up on your latptop or smart phone, and show it to the conductor, after you have politely asked them to intervene. Above all, get names of all people you talk to, so IF you need to contact Customer Service, you can re-tell an accurate picture of what went on.

Amtrak_3_in_Roomette_Rules.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
As I have mentioned many times in the past, why is it so difficult for Amtrak employees not to be aware of company policy. :wacko:

Especially LSAs and dining car staff when it comes to meal allowances in sleeping cars?? It seems to be well documented as to what the policy is for roomettes and bedrooms, so why don't the LSAs follow policy and avoid hassling their customers?? :(

A conductor has better things to do than mediate disputes between Amtrak staff and customers over meal policies. :eek:

Even if you have the actually copy of the service manual all the LSA or anyone else has to say is that the policy has changed and to deal with it.

Well I talked to the server we had for dinner last night ( different one than this morning) and asked him about it. He said its supposed to be just 2 meals, but since they did it yesterday he didn't know why they did this at breakfast. He said he would try to get it cleared up for me. He apparently did because we received 3 lunches.

Considering the cost of meals, if Amtrak provides free meals for four people but there is only one bedroom supplement payment, it is no wonder they are in a financial mess.
Let's be honest here, this is a pretty rare condition in the grand scheme of things, or did you not notice what we're talking about? If Amtrak wants to generate more revenue maybe they should make it easier for coach passengers to buy revenue meals in the diner by filling more of the tables and/or extending the dining car hours and/or packing more meals on board and/or restocking them more often.

If the conductor seems friendly enough, I would talk to them about it and tell them that the reservation agent said everyone ticketed into a room receives complimentary meals. If they are no help, save your receipts and customer service should reimburse you.

Considering the cost of meals, if Amtrak provides free meals for four people but there is only one bedroom supplement payment, it is no wonder they are in a financial mess.
'Ya know, in the "grand scheme of things" when it comes to Amtrak's revenue vs. cost, this is such a non-issue it really doesn't even deserve a response. EXCEPT, to follow my own advice, "some people just don't know the facts, or are uneducated when it comes to the real numbers".

No disrespect meant, but Amtrak could almost give meals to everybody who rides, and it still wouldn't make a dent in the difference between REV and COST.

No disrespect meant, but Amtrak could almost give meals to everybody who rides, and it still wouldn't make a dent in the difference between REV and COST.
Sadly, I think you're right. Amtrak has bigger problems than this. I just hate to see Amtrak give away meals (with its associated costs) and receive no compensation - not even additional sleeper supplement revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back