Tips and Tricks for long distance Train travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I just found this forum. I've ridden Amtrak two times and will be riding it again for the third in November. I bought a seat going from the Maricopa station in Arizona to a station in Buffalo, New York. I'm curious for all of you that are veterans at train travel if you have any tips or tricks that will help me be as comfortable as possible on the trip.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Hey Warren: Please read the FAQ and First Time Rider Section of this Forum for tips. You should also enjoy reading the Trip Reports that Members Post, it will give you lots of tips for your trip.

Hey, thanks. I looked for those but didn't see them. My only excuse is it was like 4 am when I posted, hah. Ah well.

Go with the flow. If the trip goes fairly well, it can indeed be very pleasant. If the trip gets messed up, try to look at it as an adventure!

Hey there, Greatcats. I'm from Arizona as well, though farther south. (Around the Casa Grande region.) Personally, I think Train travel has to be looked at as an adventure. There are faster ways to travel and often more comfortable ways. Both of the train trips I've been on have had some massive delays, so I've had to just learn to sit back and enjoy.

I'm moving up to NY, so I decided to take a train trip as a transition period from my current life to my new one.

I think Train travel has to be looked at as an adventure. There are faster ways to travel and often more comfortable ways. Both of the train trips I've been on have had some massive delays, so I've had to just learn to sit back and enjoy.
Exactly. An adventure. Hang loose and go with the flow.

'course some here will recall how uptight I was before my roomette trip in May aboard the SWC ABQ-LAX. It had a few problems but added to the flavor.

I don't think I've ever had a trip that didn't have some kind of trouble. Heck, when I was a kid my family and I were driving cross country. We slept in the car and I took my shoes off and my grandma decided to put them in the trashcan until the morning. (Because of room, you see.) Well, the next day my mom emptied the trash and 3 hours later I was asking where my shoes were. Heh. Good times.

I plan on it :) I doubt I'll have much wifi on the train, but I will do a write up of it after I get to a stable location.

I have one question for which I don't see the answer: Are the any showers for the plebes in Coach on a train? If not, what are the best ways to keep clean? I'll be on the train 3 days so I"m guessing bring deodorant, wipes, etc.

I hope you used amsnag.net if your days are somewhat flexible as it is the easiest way to find the best Amtrak rates (you can search multiple days).

Amtrak fares vary wildy and strangely including business class sometimes cheaper than flexible coach (we'll be paying $81 for BC from Cary to Washington, DC vs $129 for flexible coach), roomettes as cheap as coach, bedrooms cheaper than roomettes or withing less than $5. Now the latter two don't happen often but they do happen.

Use amsnag to check if you can get a roomette cheaply for part of your trip just to experience it. Meals in diner are included. You may find you can travel on part of the route in coach, then part in roomette then part in coach for little more than coach the whole way. Roomettes have shower access. Why th little difference? If rooms are not filling, their price is low. Since someone in a room is not occupying a coach seat, if lots of people are going coach (say a school group), he coach seats are high but rooms are available.

I've also seen prices from Atlanta to NYC in a roomette more expensive than Anniston, AL to NYC even though Anniston is on stop further. Why? Apparently since most rooms are taken by people getting on in Atlanta, Amtrak reserves a couple for those getting on before. If the latter are not taken, the price goes down. You may catch a deal between city pairs. It will take some work but it can be done.

In the future use amsnag as your guide. Note that amsnag prices for roomettes do not include the rail portion whereas Amtrak bundles them together but if amsnag shows a low price for a certain day/city pair, Amtrak's price will be equally low, though higher to include the rail portion.

Rooms are private and not charged per person. So you will have a room to yourself unless someone you want to travel with you does so. In the latter case, you pay only one charge for the room and two "low bucket" rail charges.

Check out discounts - seniors, AAA, NARP, Veterans Advantage. Sometimes you save more than it cost to join.

I assume you joined the AGR awards program. If not, private message me before you do and I'll recommend you giving us both a 500 point bonus. Also, you can gain points by shopping online at such places as Home Depot and Wal-mart.

I plan on it :) I doubt I'll have much wifi on the train, but I will do a write up of it after I get to a stable location.

I have one question for which I don't see the answer: Are the any showers for the plebes in Coach on a train? If not, what are the best ways to keep clean? I'll be on the train 3 days so I"m guessing bring deodorant, wipes, etc.
You might check out this recent thread about showers (or lack of in coach)...

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/65573-shower-access-in-coach-ld/

@Me_little_me Thanks for the tip. I actually paid 170 for a cross country ticket (From Arizona to NY) so I think I got a good price. However, I will keep that site in mind for the future. I've been wanting to get a room on the train for some time but just haven't had the funds. Also - I joined AGR Before I found this site.

As for the showers - I didn't think there were any. I didn't see any on my previous two train trips, but I thought I'd ask. I will look at that thread and see what ti says, gracias.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back