Tipping ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Judy

What is customary for tipping the attendant? We will be traveling Coach on 3 different trains. Cleveland to Chicago, Chicago to L.A. and L.A. to San Diego. For meals I will tip my usual 20% if service is good, but I'm not sure what is appropriate for the attendants. I'm sure these people work very hard and I want to be fair.

If anyone knows of a good pizza shop near the amtrak station in Chicago would you let me know. My son wants some "real Chicago style" pizza while we're there. Delivery would be great, but I have no problem jumping in a cab if we have time.

We had a layover between trains a couple of weeks ago and were told that Giordanos was great Chicago pizza. We went there but it was packed and we didn't have enough time...just a few blocks from the station...

Judy said:
What is customary for tipping the attendant? We will be traveling Coach on 3 different trains. Cleveland to Chicago, Chicago to L.A. and L.A. to San Diego. For meals I will tip my usual 20% if service is good, but I'm not sure what is appropriate for the attendants. I'm sure these people work very hard and I want to be fair.
As posted else where in the forum.

Guest_Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Coach attendant is still a service oriented employee. If they provide you anything such as baggage service, meals at your seat, etc. take care of them. Otherwise if they are performing work specific to their job duties, then normally a tip is not necessary to him/her. Reward them for any good personal service, though. I always make a little bit in tips as a coach attendant. However, I personally don't set out to do so other than to accomodate those who can't help themselves very well such as eldrly, etc. In other words I concentrate on my specific job description when in coaches! OBS....

I was in Tipping during my trip to China! :lol:

Sorry! Couldn't resist! :rolleyes:

"Capones" has good pizza and is 2-3 blocks from station. Ask a ticket agent for directions.

MJ B)

Bill Needles said:
We had a layover between trains a couple of weeks ago and were told that Giordanos was great Chicago pizza. We went there but it was packed and we didn't have enough time...just a few blocks from the station...
Giardanos is the place, but it is popular. I may be possible to call ahead, but I've never tried it.

Thanks for all the pizza info. I checked out Giordano's website. If we don't have time to get pizza when we are in Chicago, we can have it sent overnight to us when we get home.

I thought I would inject my 2 cents into this conversation. "GIORDANOS" is thee place for pizza while in Chicago. Having lived in this great city at one time and made billions of visits........I must say Giordanos is always on the "to do" list. Go for it.....very worthwhile. B)

Back