tipping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bpettis said:
our family of 7 is making a trip this summer and we wonder what is the policy for tipping?
Tipping should be an award for good service. On Amtrak I have received service from one extreme to the other. But my personel guidelines are...

-Overnight coach: I always ride sleepers so maybe someone else can share insight on some guidelines.

- Lounge/Cafe car: I usually leave about $.50 - $1.00 for a mixed drink/beer. I will leave between a $1 and $2 for a food order. Again it depends on how cheerfull the service is. Sometimes I leave nothing if the employee is rude or acts that I don't exsist.

- Dining car: Treat this as a normal restaurant. Start at 15% and move up or down depending on service. If you ride sleepers, your food is included in the dining car, so you wont actually get a bill. But you can make a very good guess from the prices on the menu.

- Sleeping car: Usually $5-10 per room per night. Again depending on service. I have tipped nothing at all for poor service all the way to $50 for a night for TRUE first class service. But the later was an extreme case of "award winning" service on 2 different trains.

Unlike cruise ships there isn't a "policy" on tipping. If you don't care for the service, then don't feel that you have to tip. However a good tip should be given for wonderfull service.

What do you do when you get off in the middle of the night and either your coach or sleeping car attendant is sleeping and the conductor is at the door? Should you give him/her the tip and ask that it be given to the attendant?

Other wise I think your advise is pretty accurate on tips. I tell the boys to put a quarter in the cup when they go get a pop. and in the coaches, if the attendant is standing right there at the door I hand them a couple of bucks. If the whole family goes (6) then a five. That is all dependent on the +/- attitude.

Midland Valley said:
What do you do when you get off in the middle of the night and either your coach or sleeping car attendant is sleeping and the conductor is at the door? Should you give him/her the tip and ask that it be given to the attendant?
I guess we could get into numerous "what if's".... What if the attractive sleeping car attendent accidentally lost her top at your sleeper room door, should you tip better? :rolleyes:

But seriously, the sleeper attendent has always woke me up and seen that I departed the train in the middle of the night. But if the attendent failed to be there when I left the train, then no I wouldn't leave a tip, not even a relay to the conductor.

Tipping is at the passengers' discretion always! It is not a requirement, however, we appreciate it!

As far as my personal preferences are concerned, I feel if I tip well from the start I will get better service over all. But if the service is not satisfactory to me, they get nothing more! I tip well wherever I go within the service industry as a whole. Therefore, I usually recieve great service every where I go within the service industry. Money does the talking most of the time! It is sad, but that is a true fact in my opinion.

At work, however, Amtrak entrusts me to provide a service to the passenger! I give them that service to the best of my ability. Tip or no tip in Amtrak's eyes the service is supposed to be there! Unfortunately, many of my fellow employees don't have that attitude! As far as what I recieve "tipwise," I generally have no problems making tips! I don't depend on them. Amtrak pays me a good union wage. That is all I ask for. The tips are just "gravy!" Some people forget to tip, may not be able to at the time, or may not be accustomed to doing so. Whatever! If it's there then great! If not, then so what, I did my job as I should! I have had passengers return to me a year later, and as one lady did and said to me " Sir, I fogot to give you this last year when I came down with my sister! I don't know if you remember us, but I remember you, so please take this!" That makes you feel good! But I would still be feeling good had she never returned! OBS...

Three comments on tipping:

First, the long-standing tradition of tipping train service employees is not well understood by the a large portion of the traveling public. Airline flight attendants are not tipped and are, in fact, prohibited from accepting tips. For many travelers this is the model for transportation service employees and when they venture onto an Amtrak long distance train for the first time, they are not even aware that tipping is customery.

Second: unlike most service industries, Amtrak employees are paid a “good union wage” and do not depend on tips for their livelihood. Tips for them should be only based on receiving good service, not for just being there and sort-of doing the job. In my opinion, the threshold for service worthy of tips on Amtrak is higher than for a $3 an hour waitress at the local Applebee’s.

Third: as far as I’m concerned, tipping before the service is nothing more than a bribe. I have heard that concept kicked around on other discussion boards as a way to “encourage” attendants to pay attention and it makes no sense to me. Since these folks are being paid by Amtrak to provide service, why should the passenger have to pay them in advance to ensure they do their job? Now, after the fact if the service provided met or exceeded expectations, then fine, leave an appropriate tip. If not, then no tip. But if any passenger has to bribe a well-paid service employee to do his or her job, then something is seriously amiss.

Back