Tipping on the EB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nleprohn

Train Attendant
2 of us traveling SEA to CHI next week in a roomette. I'd appreciate suggestions for tip amounts for each meal and for the sleeping cart attendant. I consider myself a good type and generally leave 20% when I eat out. Thanks.
(I did search the threads but only found comments about cash for tips generally. Not amount)

Since coach passengers are not allowed in diners, how do you find out current prices, for tipping purpose?

Since coach passengers are not allowed in diners, how do you find out current prices, for tipping purpose?

You don’t. I’ve never looked at the bill (unless traveling in coach) I always tip $2-5 for every meal. Usually $2/3 for Breakfast and Lunch and $5 for dinner.

If I know the crew I won’t tip anything for breakfast / lunch and leave a big tip on my credit card when I buy a drink with dinner... although now that’s free too.

You don’t. I’ve never looked at the bill (unless traveling in coach) I always tip $2-5 for every meal. Usually $2/3 for Breakfast and Lunch and $5 for dinner.

If I know the crew I won’t tip anything for breakfast / lunch and leave a big tip on my credit card when I buy a drink with dinner... although now that’s free too.
But it's only 1 FREE Adult Drink, so get it with Lunch ( if it's allowed,, there's a Post saying some LSAs only allow it @ Dinner)then order your favorite Drink(s) with your Traditional Dining Dinner. and tip accordingly.

I wish Amtrak employees could add Venmo and PayPal info to their cards that they hand out. I hate carrying cash and having to plan for tipping.

I wish Amtrak employees could add Venmo and PayPal info to their cards that they hand out. I hate carrying cash and having to plan for tipping.
Or Alipay, like street buskers in Beijing. I tried to give a street musician cash and he insisted I pay with Alipay on my phone. (Not only do I not have Alipay but I don't bring phones or computers to China, so he was out of luck.)

I'm old school and prefer to tip in cash. But then, I also still write checks on occasion. Don't think my adult kids even have checks. ;)
Roger that. Our 2 sons, both in their 40s, are amazed that we still use checks for a lot of our bill payments. Everything that can be paid electronically by them is. Our older GrandGirl is living on her own now and has never written a check.

We still prefer to pay and tip in cash when eating out and tip in cash when appropriate for other services. So far no servers have ever complained. 🙂

I'm amazed at how many people don't mind causally forfeiting an extra 5% on rent, mortgage, or car payments just to avoid using paper. I've found automated physical check payments that come straight from my bank to be a good middle ground option between savings and convenience.

Last edited:
Back