Tipping on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that your CZ example should reflect the working calendar that the OBSC uses. Zephyr crews generally work 6 days on, 8 days off. So your figures are definitely too high.
Fair enough. I did not realize that (I expected it was much like other service jobs where you work most days of the week.) So yeah, $44,500ish a year is definitely a much lower wage. Still, that's not bad for starting pay in a non-terribly-skilled position (and I don't believe it requires a college degree). Not great, but definitely better than trying to scrape by on minimum wage.

Also, normally a person who works more than 40 hours a week gets overtime pay of time and a half (I think that's federal law, though it may also be 48 hours). If so, that's another $10,000 or so they're making (since half of their time would be at time and a half pay.)

Amtrak OBS employees are exempt from federal overtime laws. The negotiated overtime rate (time and a half) is paid only after working 185 hours in a calendar month. And if you are on the extra list Amtrak can remove you from the list, for the month, one you have reached the magic 185 hour mark if they so wish.
like some people said about tipping

i was in a sleeper on the Texas Eagle and the sca steve gave great service

i tipped him $5.00 witch was all i could afford he had juice hot coffee and ice avalible made the bed and was vary helpful, i tipped the red cap 2 bucks he took us from the metro lounge to the train,

i tipped the baggage man at the metro lounge 2 bucks for storeing my luggage till the eagle boarded, i did not tip the lady server in the diner becouse of her poor aditude and her allmost terrible service, on my return to chicago it was the reverse, i tipped the server a couple bucks for good service the sca brad was not around and never made up the beds his coffee was weak and he never put fresh water out or juice no ice and he did not put super or cream out of sticks to stur the coffee so i did not tip him, i am on social security and i dont have alot of money but i do tip

Last edited by a moderator:
like some people said about tipping

i was in a sleeper on the Texas Eagle and the sca steve gave great service

i tipped him $5.00 witch was all i could afford he had juice hot coffee and ice avalible made the bed and was vary helpful, i tipped the red cap 2 bucks he took us from the metro lounge to the train,

i tipped the baggage man at the metro lounge 2 bucks for storeing my luggage till the eagle boarded, i did not tip the lady server in the diner becouse of her poor aditude and her allmost terrible service, on my return to chicago it was the reverse, i tipped the server a couple bucks for good service the sca brad was not around and never made up the beds his coffee was weak and he never put fresh water out or juice no ice and he did not put super or cream out of sticks to stur the coffee so i did not tip him, i am on social security and i dont have alot of money but i do tip
And that is exactly how things should work. Do what you can, when you feel it justified.

I'm not nearly as much of an Amtrak veteran as most of you on here. I've traveled in coach a lot, but only a couple times in a sleeper.

All of my sleeper trips were one nighters, where I boarded late at night (bed already ready). It seems the only interaction I ever have with the sleeper car attendant is when he folds the beds up to change the room into daytime mode. And that usually involves me sitting on the bed with the door open for an hour or three until I see him to get his attention.

Now some of that may be my fault (I'm not an early riser. Sometimes I'll sleep 'til noon).

I know the attendant does a couple of other things that don't involve interaction with me, like making the coffee and stocking the shower.

But it just doesn't seem like my attendant is doing much to deserve much of a tip. Am I being cheap, or are you guys dealing with attendants who are around a lot more than the ones I've had?

The idea of who deserves a tip and who doesn't is seldom a clear-cut one. For example, most trendy coffeeshops have a tip jar and a large percentage of customers do leave money in it. By contrast, I've never seen a tip jar at a McDonald's -- and those folks work at least as hard to fill your custom order as the people at Starbucks.

Some people do, some people don't.

If they think you are a good mark they might encourage you.

Amtrak pays a living wage with good benefits so you are not screwing anyone by not tipping.

I'm certainly glad to hear that Amtrak pays a living wage! Thanks for the info.
Of course they pay enough money for the attendants to live, but I think you should still give $5/night. Just what people are "supposed" to do in a Sleeper.
I agree, I think tipping is important when the worker is depending on it as part of his/her income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back