Timeliness of CZ, SLC Station Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skim

Train Attendant
I'm taking the CZ from CHI-SLC for the first time in mid-January. With Christmas freight traffic presumably slowing down, what are the chances it would arrive on time, both to SLC and back to CHI? Also, does the SLC station have lockers available that can be accessed throughout the day (both trains arrive overnight)?

I'm considering hotel arrangements and other plans. Thanks for any info.

In terms of luggage, in 2010 I took a Greyhound Bus in at 10am and was able to put my luggage in a locker inside the Modern Transportation Center/Greyhound Station. I asked and was told to make sure I retrive my luggage by midnight, not an issue! I haven't been in the SLC Greyhound Station since but have a strong feeling that these luggage lockers have been removed because Greyhound a couple years ago (in was on a trip in May/June 2012 that I was hoping to rely on some) I realized that Greyhound was actively removing the lockers. It seemed like the contract with SmartCart for there SmartLocke Lockers that I noticed and used on my Greyhound trip in 2010 has ended and the units have all been removed. I noticed in one station a sign for luggage storage but no lockers!

It's a real problem when traveling by bus, and a real advantage with Amtrak, if only the SLC AmShack was open during the day.

In some cities yes, the trick is to look in the local phone book (on-line of course) in some cities now though the 1-800 number has replaced the local number.

Back