Time in Chicago before connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmom

Train Attendant
If my train is not late coming into CHI we will have about 7+ hours before our connection.

Do you guys ever leave the station? Remember I am traveling with a 3 year old so sitting in the lounge relaxing and reading or something is not really an option for us.

My husband was talking about going to the Sears Tower or something - any thoughts or suggestions or advice on this issue?

Thanks!

When I was in Chicago Union Station about a 1 1/2 months ago, I had a similar situation with the layover. What I did is I put my things in a storage locker, then proceeded to walk around Chicago, get lunch, etc. I think it would be fine to go the ST, as it is very close by. You might want to consider using the storage lockers, if there are any available.

Hope this helps! :D

Don't forget you have Metropolitan Club available in Chicago, I think they offer free luggage storage (ClubAcela in WAS did to me). Just make sure that if you do leave you don't go too far afield (Cubs game, I know it's tempting but don't). Amd always leave plenty of time to get back to the station and board the train! :D

hello! Assuming you will actually have 7.5 hours, I have a few suggestions. First, there are four different trollys, all of which are free, that offer trips to different locations. I believe they are about 40 minutes

in length. There is a pick-up/drop-off point just outside the station. I would suggest going to the Navy Pier, which is on route of one of the free trollys. There you will find amusement rides, food, as well as boat tours of the lake and river. The duration of the waterway tours is under 90 minutes.

When I traveled the Three Rivers last August/September from Chicago to Harrisburg and return, the ride out of Chicago was extremely rough. Most station stops were on time however.

Hope this helps and have a great time.

Radsmom,

While P42 is right, there are indeed lockers in the station; there is no need for you to use them. Since you are in a sleeper, you can take advantage of a special locked room for sleeping car passengers. A redcap attends this room during the day. At night when you go to leave it will be locked, you'll however be sitting in the Metropolitan Lounge by that time.

When they make the first call for those needing redcap assistance, you will go up to the front of the lounge. The redcap their will help you to retrieve you luggage from the room. You can then either return on your own to the lounge with your luggage and board with the rest of the passengers, or you can stay with the redcap and have him help you out to the train. Of course then you will have to tip him.

You can find this special room by heading through the sliding glass doors that lead to the Amtrak Information desk (not the ticket windows), and the Amtrak waiting rooms. Once through the double doors, 10 paces or so will bring you to a north/south hall. (Note: The Metropolitan Lounge is slightly to your left and straight ahead through another set of sliding doors.) Turn right towards the south waiting area. Another 10 paces will bring you to the end of that hall where you will turn right again. You will find yourself standing in front of the luggage room.

Simply give your bags that you are carrying to the redcap and show him your sleeper tickets. Tell him that you are leaving on train #40. He will put a #40 sticker on your bags and give you claim checks for the bags. There is no charge to use this room; it's free to all sleeping car passengers.

Then you can go off to wander the city. Note, this is only for your carry-on bags. Any luggage that you checked at LA for Orlando you don't have to worry about at all. Amtrak will handle that separately.

By the way, there is also a storage room within the lounge. However I don't recomend using this room since it is not attended. Passengers simply place and retrieve their bags in that room. I prefer the secure room where your bags are actually checked by a redcap.

Now Sears Tower is a two-block walk from the station. You want to walk east on Jackson Avenue. Jackson is on the south side of the station. When you come upstairs if you don't immediately see the Chicago River, then you are on the west side of the station. It should be noted that the Sears Tower isn't cheap. They also will search all bags and then make you view a safety presentation, before you ever get to go upstairs.

There are also many other things to do downtown too. One can lunch in the many food places and restaurants. A nine-block walk will bring you to a very large park located right on the shore of Lake Michigan. This map from the Chicago Transit Authority will help to give you the lay of the land in the area of the station.

Finally, I can't remember since I've given them out so many times, but did I tell you where to find the Club Acela Lounges in Philly and DC?

Thanks guys.

Alan - thanks that map is great! Yes you did give me the scoop on the lounge in PA. Thanks again.

Man I am getting so excited about our trip now - I can't believe we leave in just a few days!!

Thanks again!!

If I may suggest, right by the Sears Tower is a water taxi connection. For six dollars for an adult (less for a child) the boat will take you to Navy Pier. Another six bucks to return. Water Taxi's run about every twenty minutes. In addition to restaraunts, there is a children's museum and water taxis to the Shedd Aquarium.

That water taxi is actually closer to Union Station than it is to the Sears Tower. If you wanted to take the water taxi, then you should come out on the north side of the station on Adams Avenue. A quick walk across the bridge right there and you will find the entrance to the water taxi on your right.

At Navy Peir there are also 1 hour Architecture River crusie, which compact a lot of history and facts into so little time. Sears Tower may be to much for the kids as lines can be long, it's expensive, and can get caotic. The River Cruises are more relaxing. :)

The Field Museum of Natural History, the Chicago Art Musuem and the Shedd Aquariam are all a pleasant walk from the station.(well, check the map for them, people do not always have the same ideas about a "pleasant walk") I have always considered those prime activities during layovers in Chicago. Should you not care to walk much, you may catch a cab to the Shedd and then walk to the Natural History Museum, they are near each other, and all on georgeous Lake Michigan.

AlanB said:
Radsmom,
While P42 is right, there are indeed lockers in the station; there is no need for you to use them.  Since you are in a sleeper, you can take advantage of a special locked room for sleeping car passengers.  A redcap attends this room during the day.  At night when you go to leave it will be locked, you'll however be sitting in the Metropolitan Lounge by that time.
Do you know what time they actually lock up this room (i.e. when it's not attended) such that you have to wait until boarding time to retrieve a bag with the assistance of a redcap?

seajay

seajay said:
AlanB said:
Radsmom,
While P42 is right, there are indeed lockers in the station; there is no need for you to use them.  Since you are in a sleeper, you can take advantage of a special locked room for sleeping car passengers.  A redcap attends this room during the day.  At night when you go to leave it will be locked, you'll however be sitting in the Metropolitan Lounge by that time.
Do you know what time they actually lock up this room (i.e. when it's not attended) such that you have to wait until boarding time to retrieve a bag with the assistance of a redcap?

seajay
Seajay,

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that it gets locked around 4:30 or 5:00 PM. You can however always get any redcap to unlock the room for you. Also, assuming that one of the nicer Metro Lounge workers is on duty, then can also let you in. Some of the grumpier attendants however might not.

It should be noted though, that you can't bring your bags into the actual lounge, except when you are actually boarding the train. If you take your bags out of the locked room, then you will either have to place them in the unlocked anti-room off of the Metro lounge or you will have to remain in the general boarding area with your bags. They won't let you bring them into the seating area of the Metro lounge.

Amfleet said:
Alan, I forget from last year, but do they allow notebook computer bags and back-packs into the Metropolitain Lounge seating area?
If it's a small backpack, then yes they probably would let you in with it.

Certainly any bag containing a laptop computer will be allowed into the room. At least as long as you don't put your laptop into a huge duffel bag. :lol: :D

On my trip from NYP to DAL two weeks ago I had 7.5 hours between the arrival of 41 and my departure of 21.

I had enough time to get breakfast, go to the Sears Tower, take a cab to the Museum of Science and Industry, take a Metra Train back downtown, and then walk from LaSalle Street Station back to Union Station.

I think you'll find there is more than enough time to do what you want.

Enjoy.

AlanB said:
Amfleet said:
Alan, I forget from last year, but do they allow notebook computer bags and back-packs into the Metropolitain Lounge seating area?
If it's a small backpack, then yes they probably would let you in with it.

Certainly any bag containing a laptop computer will be allowed into the room. At least as long as you don't put your laptop into a huge duffel bag. :lol: :D
Darn, I was actually thinking of bringing my desk top PC, but I guess not. :p

Amfleet said:
Darn, I was actually thinking of bringing my desk top PC, but I guess not. :p
Groan! I would even want to dream about that. :eek: My back already hurts, just thinking about that. :blink:

My laptop however, is in a special backpack designed for laptops. I had no problems with it at all getting into the lounge. In fact they didn't even ask me about it.

But I have seen them ask people to show them the laptop, before they allow the bag into the lounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back