TIGHT CONNECTIONS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThayerATM

OBS Chief
I saw that the California Zephyr (Train 6) didn't get in to CHI 'till 8:50 PM last night (9/12/2009) although it was scheduled to arrive at 3:50 PM. I also saw that the Lake Shore Limited (Train 48) departed CHI at 9:07 PM, rather than its scheduled time of 9:00 PM.

I'm assuming that the LSL was held in order for those scheduled to make the tight connection.

How does Amtrak handle getting the pax that are ticketed for this connection from one train to the other? We're ticketed for train 6 connecting with train 48 next week, but both my wife and I are well beyond the point of sprinting from one platform to another.

;) We're depending on both trains being on time, but the question is now in my mind. Any hints out there?

I saw that the California Zephyr (Train 6) didn't get in to CHI 'till 8:50 PM last night (9/12/2009) although it was scheduled to arrive at 3:50 PM. I also saw that the Lake Shore Limited (Train 48) departed CHI at 9:07 PM, rather than its scheduled time of 9:00 PM.I'm assuming that the LSL was held in order for those scheduled to make the tight connection.

How does Amtrak handle getting the pax that are ticketed for this connection from one train to the other? We're ticketed for train 6 connecting with train 48 next week, but both my wife and I are well beyond the point of sprinting from one platform to another.

;) We're depending on both trains being on time, but the question is now in my mind. Any hints out there?
Every time Ive come into CHI from the West and the train was running very late the OBS informed the pax that Customer Realtions Staff would be boarding the train @ XXXXX and they would advise when/where/what arrangements had been made for connections/hotels/alternate transportation etc.

The last time was on the EB#8 in July, they told us in St. Paul what would happen. A guy got on in Columbus,WI,had arrangments worked out for all:

ie they were holding the CL and CONO,the Cardinal had left so its pax were to be bustituted to catch up somewhere down the line etc. A few folks had hotels/transportation worked out. for them. Some were re-routed to the LSL which leaves last but dont know if they got sleepers,thats hard to do on this train!

they made up time with quickie stop in Milwaukee, didnt stop anywhere else and came into CHI fairly fast through the yards! When we detrained we had

staff waiting, they directed and took folks to their waiting trains (this was about 7:30 PM) and others to the Metro Lounge or their busses .They had gotten the checked baggage off the train in Milwaukee so you couldnt check bags but redcaps and carts were available for those that needed them.

Based on previous trips into CHI where the drill instructors and gate ****s were rude and unhelpful, everyone seemed to do a first rate job.We were soon eating dinner on the CONO and as a bonus got to see the SP Steamer sitting in the yards as we pulled out on time @ 8PM for New Orleans!

Amtrak was advised of the good service!Hope this helps! :)

I saw that the California Zephyr (Train 6) didn't get in to CHI 'till 8:50 PM last night (9/12/2009) although it was scheduled to arrive at 3:50 PM. I also saw that the Lake Shore Limited (Train 48) departed CHI at 9:07 PM, rather than its scheduled time of 9:00 PM.I'm assuming that the LSL was held in order for those scheduled to make the tight connection.

Every time Ive come into CHI from the West and the train was running very late the OBS informed the pax that Customer Realtions Staff would be boarding the train @ XXXXX and they would advise when/where/what arrangements had been made for connections/hotels/alternate transportation etc.

The last time was on the EB#8 in July, they told us in St. Paul what would happen. A guy got on in Columbus,WI,had arrangments worked out for all:

ie they were holding the CL and CONO,the Cardinal had left so its pax were to be bustituted to catch up somewhere down the line etc. A few folks had hotels/transportation worked out. for them. Some were re-routed to the LSL which leaves last but dont know if they got sleepers,thats hard to do on this train!

they made up time with quickie stop in Milwaukee, didnt stop anywhere else and came into CHI fairly fast through the yards! When we detrained we had

staff waiting, they directed and took folks to their waiting trains (this was about 7:30 PM) and others to the Metro Lounge or their busses .They had gotten the checked baggage off the train in Milwaukee so you couldnt check bags but redcaps and carts were available for those that needed them.

Based on previous trips into CHI where the drill instructors and gate ****s were rude and unhelpful, everyone seemed to do a first rate job.We were soon eating dinner on the CONO and as a bonus got to see the SP Steamer sitting in the yards as we pulled out on time @ 8PM for New Orleans!

Amtrak was advised of the good service!Hope this helps! :)
Most of my trips to CHI have had CUS as the final destination. When I have had easterly connections, the EB has been on time. I have had late connections on the CS southound that affected my connections. They have either held the connecting train or got me another workable connection except once, and I ended up stuck in Baksfield overnight at Amtrak's expense. In that case, the CS was stuck 10 hours in Albany, OR, due to a derailment ahead on a bridge.

OBS has been helpful in explaining how the connections would work. In the case of the missed connection where I had to overnight, they explained that the hotel would be at their expense (since it was a guaranteed connection) and a meal allowance was available. Not what I wanted to hear, but better than overnighting at my expense.

As to whether they will hold trains for late connections, I assume that like the airlines, Amtrak looks at a balance of benefits and harms in holding a train. How many connecting passengers are aboard the late train? Are there alternate trains they can be booked on? If they hold a connecting train, what domino consequences does that create for downline connections?

When I have met a held train on a connection I have observed that they hold it long enough for an orderly transfer of connecting passengers. No O.J. dash through the gates... At CUS, they can request priority Redcap service for the transfer, if needed.

I have been looking at a trip next spring with what I think of as a tight connection. The SWC get’s in to LA about 0815 AM and the Costal Starlight pulls out about 1015 AM. If I was paying cash I would build a day in LA into the trip and take the CS up to Seattle the next day. I’m going to try to use two zones worth of AGR points. I’m under the impression I have to make the connection bang-bang on an AGR ticket with no lay over. For the most part the SWC has been getting in to LA ok as of late. But I have been thinking about what happens if the SWC is late.

I have been looking at a trip next spring with what I think of as a tight connection. The SWC get’s in to LA about 0815 AM and the Costal Starlight pulls out about 1015 AM. If I was paying cash I would build a day in LA into the trip and take the CS up to Seattle the next day. I’m going to try to use two zones worth of AGR points. I’m under the impression I have to make the connection bang-bang on an AGR ticket with no lay over. For the most part the SWC has been getting in to LA ok as of late. But I have been thinking about what happens if the SWC is late.
When I looked into booking an SWC to CS connection for next spring, the online system wouldn't let me do it. It would let me book two separate trips, but then there wouldn't be any protection if we missed the connection. I don't know if this is any different if you phone Julie, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I looked into booking an SWC to CS connection for next spring, the online system wouldn't let me do it. It would let me book two separate trips, but then there wouldn't be any protection if we missed the connection. I don't know if this is any different if you phone Julie, though.
I can get it to work LRC to SEA.

$470.00

3 Southwest Chief Lawrence, KS

(LRC)

12:32 am

17-MAY-10 Los Angeles, CA

- Union Station

(LAX)

8:15 am

18-MAY-10 33h 43m Dining car, Lounge, Onboard wheelchair ramp

2 Reserved Coach Seats

14 Coast Starlight Los Angeles, CA

- Union Station

(LAX)

10:15 am

18-MAY-10 Seattle, WA

(SEA)

8:45 pm

19-MAY-10 34h 30m Dining car, Lounge, Checked baggage, Onboard wheelchair ramp

2 Reserved Coach Seats

You are correct. You cannot have a stopover on one AGR reward. I have tried and failed.

AGR points aside, two hours or less of connect time between two long distance trains exceeds my tolerance levels. I simply would not count on it. In a perfect world, maybe. ;) I'd use the AGR points some other time, and build in the extra day in LA.

I thought a "tight connection" described the bond between the travelers wallet and his hand when it came to PAYING for train trips! :lol:

The only time you can schedule a stopover on an AGR ticket is if there are no connections that night. Such as the Crescent to the Sunset Limited. But you would arrive tonight, and have to depart tomorrow morning. (And it would be on your dime.) You could not depart (say) 5 days from now - using 1 AGR award! (You would have to use 2 awards!)

As far as the SWC to CS connection - if the SWC is running very late (which is rare), I have seen them bus connecting passengers between like Barstow and Santa Barbara to make the connection!

The only time you can schedule a stopover on an AGR ticket is if there are no connections that night. Such as the Crescent to the Sunset Limited. But you would arrive tonight, and have to depart tomorrow morning. (And it would be on your dime.) You could not depart (say) 5 days from now - using 1 AGR award! (You would have to use 2 awards!)
As far as the SWC to CS connection - if the SWC is running very late (which is rare), I have seen them bus connecting passengers between like Barstow and Santa Barbara to make the connection!
So I could take the CS south from PDX to LAX (gets in at 9:00 PM), overnight at my expense, and and connect with one of the next day's long distance trains eastbound? Thought I tried that and was told no by AGR. This discussion should probably be on the AGR page.

No. I believe that only works in NOL, and only if there is no other choice available. (Such as Atlanta to :eek: Beaumont!) That's why the SDL loophole works. (Amtrak gives you a choice not to have to pay for a hotel stay yourself! :) )

Also, that would not work from say PDX-Flagstaff, because there is another choice that gives a same day connection between the CS and SWC. You can get off the CS at Sacramento, go down thru Bakersfield and get to LAX in time for that afternoon's SWC!

I can get it to work LRC to SEA.

$470.00

3 Southwest Chief Lawrence, KS

(LRC)

12:32 am

17-MAY-10 Los Angeles, CA

- Union Station

(LAX)

8:15 am

18-MAY-10 33h 43m Dining car, Lounge, Onboard wheelchair ramp

2 Reserved Coach Seats

14 Coast Starlight Los Angeles, CA

- Union Station

(LAX)

10:15 am

18-MAY-10 Seattle, WA

(SEA)

8:45 pm

19-MAY-10 34h 30m Dining car, Lounge, Checked baggage, Onboard wheelchair ramp

2 Reserved Coach Seats
I tried this for St. Louis to San Jose ( via KCY and LAX). Oddly, the system will let me book St. Louis to LAX (via KCY), or KCY to SJC (via LAX), but will not allow a STL-KCY-LAX-SJC, even when trying a multi-city booking. This looks like a glitch in the computer system. I could always book the STL-KCY portion separately, but would I get a different response over the phone?

I’m with you folk who think it is too tight on time. I would never try it on a cash trip. But it would be a good use of points from my location if it would work out. We have never been to Seattle I have been told it is a nice town. If we would get shut out at LA. I would be content to go down to New Port or Dania Point and fish a few days off shore then make my way home. After our trip on the CZ two weeks from now we will have 2-3 zones worth of roomette AGR. Once they post I will put the Mrs. on the job as to where to go next spring.

I’m with you folk who think it is too tight on time. I would never try it on a cash trip. But it would be a good use of point from my location if it would work out. We have never been to Seattle I have been told it is a nice town. If we would get shut out at LA. I would be content to go down to New Port or Dania Point and fish a few days off shore then make my way home. After our trip on the CZ two weeks from now we will have 2-3 zones worth of roomette AGR. Once they post I will put the Mrs. on the job as to where to go next spring.
I almost always book a day layover between long-distance connections for safety. Although Amtrak does handle the passengers on missed guaranteed connections well, I don't like worrying and I book sleeper space for a reason, which is often not available when you get rebooked due to a missed connection.

However, next month I am doing this exact connection, 3 to 14 at LA. and I am doing it on my dime. The on-time record of the Southwest Chief is generally very good, and it usually gets into LA quite early (30-45 minutes). So I am taking the risk, mainly because I want to ride the Chief again, it is one of my favorite routes and can't afford the extra time for a layover day, so I going ahead with it. For the Chief, I think it is a reasonable risk, since its OT record is very good.

AGR points aside, two hours or less of connect time between two long distance trains exceeds my tolerance levels. I simply would not count on it. In a perfect world, maybe. ;) I'd use the AGR points some other time, and build in the extra day in LA.
Mine also but I decided to roll the dice with my November trip and booked a AGR Chi-LAX-Sea. If I could have I would have built a day in SBA.

I’m with you folk who think it is too tight on time. I would never try it on a cash trip. But it would be a good use of point from my location if it would work out. We have never been to Seattle I have been told it is a nice town. If we would get shut out at LA. I would be content to go down to New Port or Dania Point and fish a few days off shore then make my way home. After our trip on the CZ two weeks from now we will have 2-3 zones worth of roomette AGR. Once they post I will put the Mrs. on the job as to where to go next spring.
I almost always book a day layover between long-distance connections for safety. Although Amtrak does handle the passengers on missed guaranteed connections well, I don't like worrying and I book sleeper space for a reason, which is often not available when you get rebooked due to a missed connection.

However, next month I am doing this exact connection, 3 to 14 at LA. and I am doing it on my dime. The on-time record of the Southwest Chief is generally very good, and it usually gets into LA quite early (30-45 minutes). So I am taking the risk, mainly because I want to ride the Chief again, it is one of my favorite routes and can't afford the extra time for a layover day, so I going ahead with it. For the Chief, I think it is a reasonable risk, since its OT record is very good.
Sounds like a well thought out plan. Still... I'm reminded of the old army saying: the minute the shooting starts, the plan goes right out the window. :(

I DO wish you luck.

Sounds like a well thought out plan. Still... I'm reminded of the old army saying: the minute the shooting starts, the plan goes right out the window. :(

I DO wish you luck.
Yep, and Amtrak's typical plan B is to put you on bus to Bakersfield to catch a San Joaquin and catch the CS at midnight in Sacramento. :( Although I have heard of them doing a bus bridge San Bernardino to Santa Barbara. Thanks for good luck wishes, I hope I don't need it!

I DO wish you luck.

Now that the Army is in the thread. The Mrs. May want to go to DC she has never been there. I have not been to DC since I was in the Army. We keep going west some time we should go east. She can use the AGR points as she sees fit.

As a teaser If you are on the SWC I’m the reason the SWC will stop in Lawrence KS stop on Thursday AM the 9/24 and on the return on Friday 9/25. This is the first time I have tried coach. I have gone back and tried out the seats they don’t set bad. But I have never booked a coach seat. I have a meeting at Garden City KS I need to go to and the SWC works out rather well to get there and back. My first non leisure Amtrak trip. The next Monday the Mrs. and I will be on the CZ to Davis.

Based on previous trips into CHI where the drill instructors and gate ****s were rude and unhelpful, everyone seemed to do a first rate job.
I also was on a delayed EB last July and was pleased with Chicago customer service that day.

No. I believe that only works in NOL, and only if there is no other choice available. (Such as Atlanta to :eek: Beaumont!) That's why the SDL loophole works. (Amtrak gives you a choice not to have to pay for a hotel stay yourself! :) )
Also, that would not work from say PDX-Flagstaff, because there is another choice that gives a same day connection between the CS and SWC. You can get off the CS at Sacramento, go down thru Bakersfield and get to LAX in time for that afternoon's SWC!
I'm sure this is common folklore among more regular users of the forum, but might you explain the SDL loophole to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back