ticket pricing?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iowa train fan

Train Attendant
I just noticed I had booked travel for four adults and noticed that the final price was more than I figured it would be. Example the total price for four was 1050 with (2) roomettes, the rail fare was 250 each and the roomette was 214/room. When added to cart though, the total roomette price rose to 580 for both. Would I have been better booking two individual trips, each with two adults and a roomette? Why the difference. Am I making any sense? Do I need to call Amtrak and find out the reason for the price change? We are taking a difference of 200.00 dollars. Any thoughts? Thanks

It is possible that there was 1 room available in a lower bucket and the other room was in a higher bucket. When that happens, ARROW automatically prices both rooms at the higher bucket
sad.gif

It is possible that there was 1 room available in a lower bucket and the other room was in a higher bucket. When that happens, ARROW automatically prices both rooms at the higher bucket
sad.gif
If that is the case, then booking the rooms separately would allow you to get one room at the lower price.

However, I have never heard that this is the case that it charges both at the higher rate. With the numbers you provided, it looks more like this...

Roomette 1: $214

Roomette 2: $366

I could be wrong, but that is was seems most logical to me.

Could it be that the initial railfare quoted was for coach, using some promotion or discount. When the upgrade to roomette was chosen, railfare increased to the regular rate?

Could it be that the initial railfare quoted was for coach, using some promotion or discount. When the upgrade to roomette was chosen, railfare increased to the regular rate?
That does not sound like what the OP described. He is talking about a difference between the estimated price and the final price of roomettes.

Thank you for all the advice!!!!! I did call Amtrak last night and they did say it was a mistake but they only dropped the price by 79.00, they said it must have been a mistake in their system???? I still think it is not enough and I guess I will need to call again. I thought about one at the lowest bucket price and the other at the next highest bucket but then (1) if I go on line and try to reserves one room with two adults I still get the 214.00 sleeper rate even with my two rooms still reserved and (2) I have room one and two, I assume I am the only one to book so far so do they only have one room at the lower bucket????? WE are not traveling until June of 2013. Would you call and ask or should I be happy with the 79.00 refund which I still think is about 80.00 higher than the estimated cost. Thanks again

(1) if I go on line and try to reserves one room with two adults I still get the 214.00 sleeper rate even with my two rooms still reserved ...
Why don't you "self help" and do just that. Book just one roommette. Then go back and separately book another.

If you get $214 price on both, keep the two new bookings and cancel your original booking.

If you end up still with the higher price on the second (well, at least you tried), then cancel your two new bookings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back