Ticket Cost Distribution on VIA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderson

Engineer
I'm doing qual runs on the Corridor for Premiere status today and tomorrow (I'm up to six legs at the moment and through the $2000 line, so I'll probably just pop out to Ottawa and back). That'll have me set to earn 3 points per CAD spent on VIA (4.5 on a full fare run on the Corridor)...which brings up an odd question:

On the LD trains, space is sold on a per-person basis (generally split evenly between the traveling parties, unlike Amtrak where the room charges all accrue to whomever is #1 on the reservation), and if you occupy a double-occupancy space as a single you'll get hit with an effective surcharge. Does anyone know if there's a way to manage to get the surcharge hit to Person A's account and then to add Person B to the room (a la Amtrak's open tickets) for the balance? Doing so has the potential to be highly valuable next year (to the tune of thousands of points on a one-way on the Canadian, which in VIA's case means hundreds of dollars...I generally estimate a VIA point to be worth $.10-.15), so I'm wondering if this can be managed.

Back